UMN vs. Rutgers-Newark

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ru2486

UMN vs. Rutgers-Newark

Postby ru2486 » Fri May 04, 2012 4:27 am

This might be a no-brainer, but maybe it's not...

Minnesota with $27,000/scholarship out of $46,000/tuition

or

Rutgers-Newark with $15,000/scholarship out of $23,000/tuition

I'd like to end up back on the east coast, but I also have potential biglaw/academia interests.

cinephile

Re: UMN vs. Rutgers-Newark

Postby cinephile » Fri May 04, 2012 8:16 am

Well, you're not going to get academia out of UMN. You probably won't be getting biglaw from Minnesota either.

So, Rutgers seems like the best choice.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri May 04, 2012 8:28 am

Rutgers is cheaper and (arguably) places better on the east coast

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Fri May 04, 2012 9:15 am

East coast you say? I'm no cartographer, but I'd say Rutgers is the bet. If you don't mind me asking, what numbers got you 15k from them? I'm an NJ resident, so I'm always keeping Rutgers in mind (if I could grab some big $$$).

ru2486

Postby ru2486 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:51 am

hey guys, thanks for the responses thus far!

i'm a bit embarrassed to say i thought the no-brainer was in the other direction, i.e. minnesota. i think i may have overstated my geographical preference (i've heard very, very nice things about twin cities). other than that, let's keep the opinions rolling in!

tls has been a goldmine of information and advice, thanks everybody.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri May 04, 2012 10:04 am

How can the choice be between Minnesota and Rutgers? Did you not get in anywhere on the East Coast in between?

BobbyDylan

Postby BobbyDylan » Fri May 04, 2012 10:17 am

Rutgers makes more sense than just about every other NYC area school, if you can't get a decent scholarship from Fordham or better.

Go to Rutgers.

Even with that Minnesota scholarship, you're facing at least $20K/yr in tuition (probably closer to $25K/yr when you graduate), plus another $15K/yr in living expenses, for a total grad debt load of over $105K. Even at the 6.8% interest rate, on a 30 year payment plan, that's $685 per month. On the 10 year plan, that's $1,200 per month.

$1,200 per month. For ten years.

Going to Rutgers, you'll be paying about 8K/yr in tuition (probably closer to $10K when you graduate), plus you'll need more like $20K/yr in living expenses. So that's about $85K/yr in debt, or about $555/month on the 30 year plan, or $980/month on the 10 year.

Now, if you wanted to stay in Minnesota, the difference in COL post-graduation would make up that difference in loan payments, but you don't, so it's a moot point. Also, Rutgers has better placement in NJ than Minnesota does anywhere on the east coast.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri May 04, 2012 10:26 am

Have you asked Rutgers for more scholarship money based on your acceptance with a partial scholarship to Minnesota ?

Ask Minnesota for more money.

ru2486

Postby ru2486 » Fri May 04, 2012 10:28 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Have you asked Rutgers for more scholarship money based on your acceptance with a partial scholarship to Minnesota ?

Ask Minnesota for more money.

I asked Minnesota for more money, they said no. I'm in the process of asking Rutgers for more money.

BobbyDylan wrote:Rutgers makes more sense than just about every other NYC area school, if you can't get a decent scholarship from Fordham or better.

Go to Rutgers.

Even with that Minnesota scholarship, you're facing at least $20K/yr in tuition (probably closer to $25K/yr when you graduate), plus another $15K/yr in living expenses, for a total grad debt load of over $105K. Even at the 6.8% interest rate, on a 30 year payment plan, that's $685 per month. On the 10 year plan, that's $1,200 per month.

$1,200 per month. For ten years.

Going to Rutgers, you'll be paying about 8K/yr in tuition (probably closer to $10K when you graduate), plus you'll need more like $20K/yr in living expenses. So that's about $85K/yr in debt, or about $555/month on the 30 year plan, or $980/month on the 10 year.

Now, if you wanted to stay in Minnesota, the difference in COL post-graduation would make up that difference in loan payments, but you don't, so it's a moot point. Also, Rutgers has better placement in NJ than Minnesota does anywhere on the east coast.

I suppose I should add that if I so choose, I could live at home rent-free with the parents if I go to Rutgers... (at this age, fml).

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Fri May 04, 2012 10:35 am

Hearing good things about the Twin Cities is completely different than living through one of their winters....

Rutgers is a MUCH better choice IMO for the right-coast and I will go so far as to say that they are peer schools regardless of the difference in rankings..... Rutgers is a DAMN good regional school for NJ and it places well in NYC when compared to non T-14 schools that are not in NYC...... Not to mention it is cheaper....

But, hey MN is beautiful if you can handle the cold.....

JC

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Fri May 04, 2012 10:53 am

JCFindley wrote:Hearing good things about the Twin Cities is completely different than living through one of their winters....

Rutgers is a MUCH better choice IMO for the right-coast and I will go so far as to say that they are peer schools regardless of the difference in rankings..... Rutgers is a DAMN good regional school for NJ and it places well in NYC when compared to non T-14 schools that are not in NYC...... Not to mention it is cheaper....

But, hey MN is beautiful if you can handle the cold.....

JC

And having such a shitty football team. Though I don't see that weighing into many decisions.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri May 04, 2012 11:00 am

Some schools are increasing scholarship offers after one withdraws, although I'm not sure if Minnesota is doing this. Regardless, Rutgers is the better choice for East Coast placement & it's much cheaper, plus they may offer even more money. Good luck !

wfudeacons2005

Postby wfudeacons2005 » Fri May 04, 2012 11:40 am

1.) Rankings don't really matter outside of the T-14/20.

2.) Minimizing debt out of the T-14/20 is almost always better.

3.) Academia and Big Law are equal longshots from RU-N or UMN.

4.) You don't have a desire to be in MN or surrounding states.

5.) You do have a desire to be in NJ or surrounding states.

...RU-N by a mile.

top30man

Postby top30man » Fri May 04, 2012 12:17 pm

wfudeacons2005 wrote:1.) Rankings don't really matter outside of the T-14/20.

2.) Minimizing debt out of the T-14/20 is almost always better.

3.) Academia and Big Law are equal longshots from RU-N or UMN.

4.) You don't have a desire to be in MN or surrounding states.

5.) You do have a desire to be in NJ or surrounding states.

...RU-N by a mile.

Yeah this is definitely rutgers. Minn is a decent regional school but they certainly are not peers of other t30s like Fordham bc or bu. I'd ony go if you wanted a job in minnesota. That's way too expensive for what you want.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Fri May 04, 2012 12:28 pm

If you want to stay in the east there is just no reason to choose UMN over Rutgers.

ru2486

Postby ru2486 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:59 pm

OP here, FWIW I'm also waitlisted at WUSTL and BC, and still waiting to hear back (read: get rejected) from Cornell.

wfudeacons2005

Postby wfudeacons2005 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:35 pm

ru2486 wrote:OP here, FWIW I'm also waitlisted at WUSTL and BC, and still waiting to hear back (read: get rejected) from Cornell.

Forget about WUSTL even if you get in. Considering your status, it is probably going to cost you sticker and there is zero chance that it is worth a tremendous amount of additional debt if your ultimate goal is working on the east coast. It isn't going to be any better than RU-N throughout much of the region and honestly, I don't even know if I'd pay that much more money for WUSTL even if I loved the idea of working in the South/mid-West.

BC is a different story. Great rep and network in Boston and a good one in NYC. I think a lot of people on here would say that you can make the case for BC at sticker over RU-N at sticker because it does open a lot more doors to the world of BigLaw and I have no reason to disagree with them. Of course, there is also the good chance that you go to BC at sticker, end up 200K+ in debt and don't get BigLaw, leaving you in a fairly tough spot. Higher risk/higher reward whereas RU-N would be lower risk/lower reward.

Take my opinions for what they are worth (not a whole lot) but I'd say right off the bat to forget about your admit at UMN and your wait list at WUSTL. Deposit at RU-N and wait to see if you can get in to BC. If not, RU-N is fine. If yes, you have a decision to make and you'll have to weigh the positives and negatives.

Of course, on the 1% chance that you get into Cornell....forget everything I just said.

ru2486

Postby ru2486 » Sat May 05, 2012 1:20 am

Hey everybody, thank you so much for all of your input. I tried to negotiate with RU-N for more money but they didn't bite.

I suppose I'm pretty comfortable paying $8,000 a year in tuition for RU-N. I was also heartened by posters' take on the strength of Rutgers vs. Minnesota in general. Ultimately, I suppose minimizing debt and going to school where you want to end up are most important.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond! TLS posters rock.

Any other opinions are greatly appreciated as well.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat May 05, 2012 3:35 am

I disagree with everyone in this thread. There is a huge difference between UMN and Rutgers. Going to UMN does not prevent you from working on the east coast if that is your goal.

wfudeacons2005

Postby wfudeacons2005 » Sat May 05, 2012 11:12 am

Danteshek wrote:I disagree with everyone in this thread. There is a huge difference between UMN and Rutgers. Going to UMN does not prevent you from working on the east coast if that is your goal.

It doesn't prevent you and I may be totally wrong but:

Out of the 251 UMN grads whose employment status is known:
2 NJ, 9 NY, 1 MA, 8 DC...not a single person in CT, MD etc. etc.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sat May 05, 2012 11:52 am

wfudeacons2005 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:I disagree with everyone in this thread. There is a huge difference between UMN and Rutgers. Going to UMN does not prevent you from working on the east coast if that is your goal.

Well, don't you think that might be from lack of trying to go to those places?

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat May 05, 2012 12:21 pm

UMN is the better choice if you're going for a better career in MN. Rutgers is the better choice is you're looking for the east coast. If you can survive living in MN after graduation I would take UMN as they dominate that market and are considered top notch over there...but UMN will give you less of a shot at the east coast than Rutgers.

wfudeacons2005

Postby wfudeacons2005 » Sat May 05, 2012 12:42 pm

minnbills wrote:
wfudeacons2005 wrote:

Well, don't you think that might be from lack of trying to go to those places?

Oh that's definitely part of it. But I just struggle to see employers on the east coast hearing "I went to UMN" and being blown away enough to give someone a spot over a school that they are far more familiar with in RU-N. GREAT school but it is not Stanford, Michigan or Northwestern and I just don't seeing it having enough lay or legal prestige over here to beat out a school that does have a very solid rep within a 100-200 mile radius. And, even on the very slight chance that it does provide somewhat equal footing on the east coast...I wouldn't be springing to pay twice the tuition to find that out.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sat May 05, 2012 2:54 pm

Oh I totally agree with the sentiment, it's just that placement stats seem somewhat irrelevant since it's hard to imagine many UMN kids would be making an effort over there.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat May 05, 2012 2:59 pm

OP, where are you from? If you're FROM NJ, go to Rutgers.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”