NU (Sticker) vs UC Davis ($$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NU vs. UC Davis

Poll ended at Thu May 10, 2012 6:24 pm

NU for sticker
82%
UC Davis with 30K
18%

Total votes: 17

elizcbeth

New

Re: NU (Sticker) vs UC Davis ($$)

Post by elizcbeth » Fri May 25, 2012 11:33 am

noBass wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:
elizcbeth wrote:I honestly dont know anything about taxes so I left it out for ease. What would be a good percentage to use in order to calculate take home pay? 20%?
Don't go to law school. Go do something else for a few years.

But I have! I hope this isn't another don't go to law school at all argument... I know how much they take out of MY paycheck. How much do they take out for someone who gets paid $160000? A proportionate amount? *shrug*

TheZoid

Bronze

Post by TheZoid » Fri May 25, 2012 11:39 am

Don't go to law school. Go do something else for a few years.[/quote]

But I have! I hope this isn't another don't go to law school at all argument... I know how much they take out of MY paycheck. How much do they take out for someone who gets paid $160000? A proportionate amount? *shrug*[/quote][/quote]

I believe the take home in NYC is like 90-95k on $160k.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Fri May 25, 2012 11:48 am

elizcbeth wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:
elizcbeth wrote:I honestly dont know anything about taxes so I left it out for ease. What would be a good percentage to use in order to calculate take home pay? 20%?
Don't go to law school. Go do something else for a few years.

But I have! I hope this isn't another don't go to law school at all argument... I know how much they take out of MY paycheck. How much do they take out for someone who gets paid $160000? A proportionate amount? *shrug*
The point is that rather than apply critical thinking skills (aka google), you just decided it wasn't important and not worth factoring into your equation at all. IMO that demonstrates a pretty severe lack of real world experience.

elizcbeth

New

Post by elizcbeth » Fri May 25, 2012 11:56 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:The point is that rather than apply critical thinking skills (aka google), you just decided it wasn't important and not worth factoring into your equation at all. IMO that demonstrates a pretty severe lack of real world experience.
Gotcha. Thanks for that! It was really just an oversight. I didn't know a good approximate tax rate so I forgot about it, and then I got too lazy to fix it after it was all uploaded. Fail :)

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Fri May 25, 2012 12:09 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:The point is that rather than apply critical thinking skills (aka google), you just decided it wasn't important and not worth factoring into your equation at all. IMO that demonstrates a pretty severe lack of real world experience.
Exactly x 100,000,000 x the marginal rate.

For real though, the posts you're seeing here share a similar bottom line: somebody who doesn't bother to figure out tax implications shouldn't throw 240k (I think you underestimated your COA, btw) at a degree. Thinking you'd pay it off in 3 years in any scenario is flat crazy. On a ten year plan, you're looking at 35k-40k (depending on the actual COA) per year. That's almost half of your take home. To do it 3 years, your payment (on 246k) would be $7600/month. That's your entire take home before you pay rent, eat, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri May 25, 2012 12:43 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:
Exactly x 100,000,000 x the marginal rate.

For real though, the posts you're seeing here share a similar bottom line: somebody who doesn't bother to figure out tax implications shouldn't throw 240k (I think you underestimated your COA, btw) at a degree. Thinking you'd pay it off in 3 years in any scenario is flat crazy. On a ten year plan, you're looking at 35k-40k (depending on the actual COA) per year. That's almost half of your take home. To do it 3 years, your payment (on 246k) would be $7600/month. That's your entire take home before you pay rent, eat, etc.
Let's not start making up numbers now.

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Fri May 25, 2012 1:02 pm

Which numbers do you dispute?

elizcbeth

New

Post by elizcbeth » Fri May 25, 2012 1:16 pm

Ok, thanks everyone. I really appreciate your feedback. Although I don't think that just because I overlooked take home pay in my calculations means that I am not intelligent enough for NU, it was still a huge oversight.

After recalculating my numbers, it looks like NU is only worth it if employment figures stay basically the same, which I don't trust that it will. I'm not sure if it's reasonable to assume that NU will continue to feed almost 50% of their class into $160000 jobs. Still at square one. Maybe I should just quit now and go to business school. haha Jokes.

Has anyone made a similar choice? How did it turn out?

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Fri May 25, 2012 1:44 pm

elizcbeth wrote:Ok, thanks everyone. I really appreciate your feedback. Although I don't think that just because I overlooked take home pay in my calculations means that I am not intelligent enough for NU, it was still a huge oversight.

After recalculating my numbers, it looks like NU is only worth it if employment figures stay basically the same, which I don't trust that it will. I'm not sure if it's reasonable to assume that NU will continue to feed almost 50% of their class into $160000 jobs. Still at square one. Maybe I should just quit now and go to business school. haha Jokes.

I doubt we are going to see a significant downturn in hiring in the near future, unless the economy implodes again (which means we are probably screwed no matter what we are doing) most law firms have reduced their employee levels to far more sustainable numbers post-2008 and they aren't going to want to get back into the 2008 situation anytime soon, so the conservative hiring model is going to continue. Unless we have a massive economic bubble develop again (which, given the current economic state seems unlikely) and law firms start hiring like crazy in the next few years, you probably can feel pretty comfortable that NU is going to stay at the 50% mark at least. If you are comfortable with that number, than going to law school now isn't a terrible decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tjddk

Bronze

Post by tjddk » Fri May 25, 2012 1:51 pm

chasgoose wrote:
elizcbeth wrote:Ok, thanks everyone. I really appreciate your feedback. Although I don't think that just because I overlooked take home pay in my calculations means that I am not intelligent enough for NU, it was still a huge oversight.

I doubt we are going to see a significant downturn in hiring in the near future, unless the economy implodes again (which means we are probably screwed no matter what we are doing) most law firms have reduced their employee levels to far more sustainable numbers post-2008 and they aren't going to want to get back into the 2008 situation anytime soon, so the conservative hiring model is going to continue. Unless we have a massive economic bubble develop again (which, given the current economic state seems unlikely) and law firms start hiring like crazy in the next few years, you probably can feel pretty comfortable that NU is going to stay at the 50% mark at least. If you are comfortable with that number, than going to law school now isn't a terrible decision.
Also keep in mind that if you assume NU's employment figures may drop, you should assume Davis' numbers could drop too, except that they were much worse than NU's to begin with. I voted NU because between the two options given, I felt it would be better to have a job and eventually be able to pay off loans than to be underemployed/unemployed. And keep in mind that a 10 year repayment doesn't mean you have to do biglaw for 10 years. Basically what I'm saying is, NU at sticker is scary and not for everybody, but every negative you've mentioned about NU, you can say about UC Davis and add "but worse." Even with the scholarship from Davis, its employment numbers still make it a risky bet, IMO.
Last edited by tjddk on Fri May 25, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri May 25, 2012 2:02 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:Which numbers do you dispute?
$7600 as take home

kerflux

Bronze

Post by kerflux » Fri May 25, 2012 5:56 pm

very insightful people, capable of telling whether or not you're at the right stage in your life to attend law school by analyzing a single one of your posts.

anyway, I've been dealing with essentially the same exact decision, and I'm going with NU. I had a hard time turning down the better employment prospects, networking opportunities, and the prestige. Alternately, Davis is a great college town, great place to spend 3 years... I just think NU is ultimately going to open more doors, in the long run

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Sun May 27, 2012 12:23 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
$7600 as take home
That's 96.2k for the year, which is the estimate given above. Might be off by 1k a month, which isn't insubstantial but still not leaving enough to pay down 246k in 3 years.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

elizcbeth

New

Post by elizcbeth » Sun May 27, 2012 1:22 am

jenesaislaw wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
$7600 as take home
That's 96.2k for the year, which is the estimate given above. Might be off by 1k a month, which isn't insubstantial but still not leaving enough to pay down 246k in 3 years.
elizcbeth wrote: 9. I am also ok with paying aggresively for ~3 years and then very slowly after that.
I think you missed this part. I can see where you got confused though.

GueritaPeloChino

New

Post by GueritaPeloChino » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:23 am

I'm glad i found this thread. :mrgreen:

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:39 am

GueritaPeloChino wrote:I'm glad i found this thread. :mrgreen:
Thanks for letting us know.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:49 pm

Both of these are risky options. If I had a gun to my head I'd pick NU, but if you have the option to wait a year and reapply that would be better. Even if you can't get $$ from a T14 you can get a full ride or more at a lesser school that is still decent (top 50). From either school the job prospects may be dire and you'll have six figures of debt.

Also, if you want to end up in CA you will still likely have a tough time from Davis. The CA legal market is over saturated and UC Davis is at best the fifth strongest law school in the state (Stanford, berkeley, UCLA, USC). So you would need to be top 20% at the minimum and probably top 10% to be competitive for CA big law.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”