Which school is better for my interests?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
wisconsin2dc

Which school is better for my interests?

Postby wisconsin2dc » Thu May 03, 2012 11:55 am

So recently got off the wait-list at GWU, I'm deciding between there and Fordham. I have a very cursory knowledge of criminal law, but am very interested in it. I'm also very interested in human rights law, and possibly doing something in public interest. I dont know if this is what I will be interested in after going through law school, but for now these are the areas of law I think I would like to practice in. Could really use some advice as to which school is better suited to my interests? I've done a good deal of research, talking to professors etc. but I was hoping to get some more candid answers. Also, what kind of grades do you think I would need to get a job at in Human Rights Law (I hear its pretty competitive), or in a DA's office? Would appreciate any advice. Also would come out from both schools with about 60k of debt.

twenty

Re: Which school is better for my interests?

Postby twenty » Thu May 03, 2012 11:59 am

There is basically no such thing as Human Rights law coming out of GWU. With good grades and some solid summers, you should be able to land DA's office.

I'd try and negotiate a scholarship from Fordham. 20k-25k would be enough, in my opinion, to justify Fordham over GWU.

flem

Postby flem » Thu May 03, 2012 12:01 pm

You're probably not going to get a job in whatever you think "Human Rights law" is. Public interest jobs are also super competitive.

Luckily your debt is low at 60K from either one so that gives you a ton of flexibility. Do you prefer NYC or DC? They are basically peer schools in different markets. Pick the market/school you like better since your cost of attendance is low, see what interests you, and hope for the best.

Good luck.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Thu May 03, 2012 1:09 pm

Don't mean to hijack the thread, BUT I've heard PI is, indeed, very competitive. However, is this ALL PI jobs? Or just the really 'good' ones? Also, would T14 be enough to land an international PI job?

My apologies! :)
Last edited by iMisto on Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chem

Postby chem » Thu May 03, 2012 1:18 pm

iMisto wrote:Don't mean to hijack the thread, BUT I've hear PI is, indeed, very competitive. However, is this ALL PI jobs? Or just the really 'good' ones? Also, would T14 be enough to land an international PI job?

International PI is tough, not as tough as say, bird law or space law, but tough

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu May 03, 2012 11:17 pm

iMisto wrote:Don't mean to hijack the thread, BUT I've hear PI is, indeed, very competitive. However, is this ALL PI jobs? Or just the really 'good' ones? Also, would T14 be enough to land an international PI job?

True international PI is either completely unpaid or requires serious connections, or both.
Going to Harvard or Yale may boost your chances, as will having years of relevant work experience.

It can happen, so can winning thè lottery

Edit: DC or NY? Pick the city, the schools are equal

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Fri May 04, 2012 7:27 am

chem wrote:

International PI is tough, not as tough as say, bird law or space law, but tough

Ouch

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri May 04, 2012 7:43 am

Yes, all PI jobs. No, not just the really good ones. HYS with amazing grades might land you international PI.

chris0805

Postby chris0805 » Fri May 04, 2012 8:27 am

rayiner wrote:

Yes, all PI jobs. No, not just the really good ones. HYS with amazing grades might land you international PI.

This is a little bit of a myth. Grades aren't really the important factor for things like that. I went to CLS so not quite HYS, and I did some "international human rights work" before focusing on delinquency/criminal defense. The people I know who are working in human rights law are NOT the people who knocked contracts and torts out of the park. They're the people that took seminars on human rights, took part in the clinic, and used those experiences to do interesting research projects, get interesting internships, and build relationships with the professors who had connections.

A place like HRW or OSI is not looking for an A in fed courts. They're looking at how many languages you speak, where have you worked (for who and geographically where), and who vouches for you that you're good at this stuff and that you're committed to working in this field. It's hard to break into this field with no prior experience to law school, and harder still if you're not going to be at H, Y, NYU, CLS, UVA on the East Coast or Stanford/Boalt on the west coast. It's not just rankings here, it's which schools have solid clinics with professors that have connections to major organizations AND you're close enough to a the major centers (NY, DC, SF) where you can work during the school year. Also, I might have missed a school so sorry if I did, but those are the best as far as I know.

iMisto

Postby iMisto » Fri May 04, 2012 10:05 am

^ What about Cornell? Their AVON Project looks like an incredible opportunity... thoughts?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”