Selection Phase Two: Baylor v. UHLC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JamesChapman23

Bronze

Re: Selection Phase Two: Baylor v. UHLC

Post by JamesChapman23 » Mon May 07, 2012 6:30 pm

If you have a job, you are better than most law school grads already. You have ZERO chance of earning "additional scholarship" money because scholarship money is never based on grades. It was about getting your LSAT score into their us news ranking.

You sound like you are paying close to sticker despite referring to paying out-of-pocket as some sort of financial accomplishment (not sure it is if you are considering IBR or PSLF). When add up out-of-pocket expenses with loans where do you get? Fed loans aren't cheap or low interest as you say- they are 6.8/8.5 loans that accrue interest immediately after disbursement. So you can add another 5-10k in loans costs per year in interest.

Calchexas

New

Post by Calchexas » Mon May 07, 2012 11:00 pm

^Was not talking about 0L scholarships, but merit-based ones after the first year of school. Is that what you mean? I know they're very rare, but the possibility is a piece of the equation.

And you're right: to a certain extent, I did underestimate the cost of federal loans; otherwise, I'd have saved up for two years of sticker. That said, I'm not planning on IBR or PSLF, but just paying it off as quickly as I can.

hookem7

Bronze

Post by hookem7 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:22 pm

UH is a big player in H-town. If you aren't a fan of it and may prefer smaller Texas markets or DFW, then Baylor may be the better option. They are roughly equivalent schools though and the apparent "stressful environment" at Baylor, which you can find plenty of discussion about on these boards, would personally make me lean toward UH but that also may be partially due to my displeasure at Baylor sharing my information with all the other admitted applicants.

mr.ford

New

Post by mr.ford » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:33 pm

UH student here. Regarding career services, they aren't particularly helpful, but they do try hard. Just no real expertise if you're aiming high. That being said, if you bust it as a 1L and get on Law Review, you'll have a decent chance of landing a Big Law gig. Definitely not a sure thing, but almost all of my LR colleagues have Big Law SAs.

As for clerkships, good luck. Only the EIC of the LR and two people with extremely good personal connections got clerkships from the year above me. Can't speak to Baylor's success there because I don't know.

Also, I hear Baylor has a mighty fine trial ad program, so that's worth considering.

At the end of the day, the pecking order for a job in Houston is probably T14>UT>UH/Baylor>?> (the other two law schools in Houston).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”