When is UCLA better than Penn? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Penn or UCLA?

Penn (45k scholarship)
66%
UCLA (75k scholarship)
34%

Total votes: 95

Gemini198

New

When is UCLA better than Penn?

Post by Gemini198 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:06 am

Earlier in my decision making process, I posted about other schools but my final two have come down to UCLA (75k scholarship) and Penn (45k scholarship). I'm from CA, went to UCLA for undergrad and want to practice here after law school. I work as a journalist, and want to maintain ties to the industry, so I'm thinking media/entertainment law. I've sent deposits to both schools, and was completely honest about it with both. They said their okay with it, but I think it's about time I pick on.

In addition to giving me 30k more in scholarship, UCLA's tuition will be about 8k less per year because I'm in state. That makes UCLA about 54k cheaper than Penn right now. At what point does UCLA's financial offer trump Penn (if ever)? Is a 54k difference too little to turn down Penn for? UCLA has already increased my scholarship twice, so I don't think they will again. Penn (for now) says an increase isn't possible.

I keep going back and forth between the schools. I think Penn is a fantastic school, but I'm not too crazy about Philly or the increased debt. UCLA is cheaper, allows me to build CA ties, but not as strong in terms of reputation...so as you can see, I'm basically torn.

Thanks in advance for the help!

JasonR

Bronze

Re: When is UCLA better than Penn?

Post by JasonR » Thu May 03, 2012 2:19 am

Gemini198 wrote:At what point does UCLA's financial offer trump Penn (if ever)? Is a 54k difference too little to turn down Penn for?
It would definitely take more than a $54K difference for me to take UCLA over Penn -- a lot more.

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:31 am

JasonR wrote:
Gemini198 wrote:At what point does UCLA's financial offer trump Penn (if ever)? Is a 54k difference too little to turn down Penn for?
It would definitely take more than a $54K difference for me to take UCLA over Penn -- a lot more.
If you want to work in CA though? Also for entertainment law, being in LA has a huge advantage over Philly. Also Philly just sucks. I did 1L there before I transferred. Horrible city.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu May 03, 2012 2:55 am

Reading the thread title, I was basically gonna say "if COA is 30K lower and you want SoCal after grad, UCLA is credited. I see you fulfill this easily, so pick UCLA.

Also, please withdraw from Penn to open up spots if that's the choice you make

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Thu May 03, 2012 3:13 am

I'd take UCLA if I were you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

saladfiend

New

Post by saladfiend » Thu May 03, 2012 3:14 am

UCLA is a better option for you.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu May 03, 2012 3:17 am

JamMasterJ wrote:Reading the thread title, I was basically gonna say "if COA is 30K lower and you want SoCal after grad, UCLA is credited. I see you fulfill this easily, so pick UCLA.
I dunno about this. 30k is pocket change when we're talking at least 2x the biglaw placement (latest NLJ data has UCLA at 22% vs. Penn's 57%). I admittedly know little about Penn's placement power on the West Coast, so I will defer to any Penn students who can speak on this. I guess it depends on 1) Penn's CA biglaw placement, and 2) how committed OP is to being in So Cal (is it worth missing biglaw and having tons of debt?), but normally when we're talking about an investment this big, 30k is easily worth it to double or triple your biglaw odds.

This is by no means a slam dunk for UCLA. Unless someone can show that Penn has atrocious Cali placement or something, I think Penn wins.

Golden Bear 11

Bronze

Post by Golden Bear 11 » Thu May 03, 2012 3:42 am

romothesavior wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Reading the thread title, I was basically gonna say "if COA is 30K lower and you want SoCal after grad, UCLA is credited. I see you fulfill this easily, so pick UCLA.
I dunno about this. 30k is pocket change when we're talking at least 2x the biglaw placement (latest NLJ data has UCLA at 22% vs. Penn's 57%). I admittedly know little about Penn's placement power on the West Coast, so I will defer to any Penn students who can speak on this. I guess it depends on 1) Penn's CA biglaw placement, and 2) how committed OP is to being in So Cal (is it worth missing biglaw and having tons of debt?), but normally when we're talking about an investment this big, 30k is easily worth it to double or triple your biglaw odds.

This is by no means a slam dunk for UCLA. Unless someone can show that Penn has atrocious Cali placement or something, I think Penn wins.
+1

Revolver066

Bronze

Post by Revolver066 » Thu May 03, 2012 3:43 am

romothesavior wrote:

+1. Personally I'd pick Penn (I'm on both schools WL right now). Ucla struggled to get near 40 percent nlj 250 in boom times, and it last checked in at 22 percent. And you will still be in a pretty good amount of debt at UCLA. In terms of job placement, Penn is simply in another league.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Thu May 03, 2012 3:57 am

romothesavior wrote:

Yep.

Golden Bear 11

Bronze

Post by Golden Bear 11 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:06 am

22% in 2011 is low for UCLA, considering USC placed 33%.

Penn with 57% and probably good placement in CA is the best choice here.

kingofspain

New

Post by kingofspain » Thu May 03, 2012 9:08 am

bceagles182 wrote:
JasonR wrote:
If you want to work in CA though? Also for entertainment law, being in LA has a huge advantage over Philly. Also Philly just sucks. I did 1L there before I transferred. Horrible city.
1. Philly is great.
2. Villanova is not in Philly.
3. If you lived in Philly and commuted out of the city throughout your 1L year, well... Don't blame Philly for your bad life choices.

ETA: OP, Philly is seriously a great city, but it can be tricky to find the fun parts if you don't know where to look or have anyone showing you around. I wouldn't judge the city too harshly on the basis of a short visit.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Thu May 03, 2012 9:30 am

romothesavior wrote:

TITCR. I feel like if this was Northwestern or Michigan instead of Penn everyone would be voting against UCLA. Penn doesn't only place in NYC and the east coast. They send about 10 percent of the class to CA every year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cogitoergosum

Silver

Post by cogitoergosum » Thu May 03, 2012 9:59 am

I think you really need employment info on Penn's west coast placement. If the two are comparable in placing graduates where you want to be, and one is cheaper and doesn't involve a cross-country move, I'd take that. You've got some great options. Good luck!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu May 03, 2012 10:03 am

romothesavior wrote:

I would agree that for the standard biglaw applicant, Penn wins easily. But OP has worked in journalism in LA, has connections in LA, and wants to enter a very LA-centric field after law school. For all of those reasons, plus the extra 50k, I would think UCLA might be worth it.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu May 03, 2012 10:04 am

Golden Bear 11 wrote:22% in 2011 is low for UCLA, considering USC placed 33%.

Penn with 57% and probably good placement in CA is the best choice here.
I understand UCLA is usually better than 22%, but Penn is usually better than ~55% too. It is probably near 100% biglaw placement for those who want it in boom times (so excluding PI and MBA-oriented people).

Regardless of where OP goes, he's gonna need biglaw to manage the debt. If UCLA were a full ride and OP wanted LA really bad, I'd say go for it. But its not a full ride. OP needs the increased security that a Penn degree brings.

So yeah I agree, Penn is the way to go. The more I think about it, I don't even think its close. If a Penn student could chime in with info on their Cali firm placement that would probably help seal the deal.

barneytrouble

Bronze

Post by barneytrouble » Thu May 03, 2012 10:06 am

When it's ajar.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Thu May 03, 2012 10:10 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I would agree that for the standard biglaw applicant, Penn wins easily. But OP has worked in journalism in LA, has connections in LA, and wants to enter a very LA-centric field after law school. For all of those reasons, plus the extra 50k, I would think UCLA might be worth it.
OP's preference for "median and entertainment law" is irrelevant. It's like picking a school based on your desire to do "international human rights." In a year and a half at OCI when OP is trying to get a Vault firm SA with everyone else so they can pay off their debt, choosing UCLA won't look so good. UCLA makes sense if OP is adamantly against any non-CA market, but UCLA is still so expensive that I don't see how you could manage that much debt with anything other than biglaw.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Thu May 03, 2012 10:11 am

Media/entertainment law is not a reason to go to UCLA over Penn. Most people will not get jobs in that field anyways without previous experience in the industry AND previous legal experience. I wouldn't risk going to UCLA on the offchance you will get one of those jobs. Go to Penn.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu May 03, 2012 10:18 am

Nelson wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

OP's preference for "median and entertainment law" is irrelevant. It's like picking a school based on your desire to do "international human rights." In a year and a half at OCI when OP is trying to get a Vault firm SA with everyone else so they can pay off their debt, choosing UCLA won't look so good. UCLA makes sense if OP is adamantly against any non-CA market, but UCLA is still so expensive that I don't see how you could manage that much debt with anything other than biglaw.
Yes, I see your point. What if OP is currently an entertainment journalist in LA, and thus has intimate ties to the industry already? I agree that if we were talking about some kid from Arkansas who wants to move to LA to get into media law that it would be ridiculous and he/she should go to Penn, but if OP is truly already working in the industry then it's not as easy as that.

I guess it would be good if OP could elaborate on his/her industry connections. Basically, OP, if you went to UCLA you would be betting that your contacts can get you a job in 3 years.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu May 03, 2012 10:19 am

romothesavior wrote:

yeah, I guess so, but I would point out that the COA difference is more like 54K after in-state.

Also, Penn's west coast placement stats aren't going to help a ton because of self-selection. They're basically just meaningful wrt alumni network

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Thu May 03, 2012 10:30 am

Doorkeeper wrote:Yes, I see your point. What if OP is currently an entertainment journalist in LA, and thus has intimate ties to the industry already? I agree that if we were talking about some kid from Arkansas who wants to move to LA to get into media law that it would be ridiculous and he/she should go to Penn, but if OP is truly already working in the industry then it's not as easy as that.

I guess it would be good if OP could elaborate on his/her industry connections. Basically, OP, if you went to UCLA you would be betting that your contacts can get you a job in 3 years.
Call me a cynic, but I doubt that a 20 something "journalist" in CA has such a deep professional network that they can guarantee themselves a legal job at graduation. This sounds more like OP just has a resume line that they'd like to use as a practice area.

OP's math is off on cost too. CA resident tution for UCLA was 45k last year. Penn's tuition was 50k. This is a 45k difference at best and COL is going to be lower in Philly than LA.

There's an argument for UCLA, but it's not a cost/placement based one, it's a personal situation one. I can totally understand not wanting to go cross country and leave your friends/family behind, but that's not usually TLS conventional wisdom approved.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Thu May 03, 2012 10:34 am

Doorkeeper wrote: Yes, I see your point. What if OP is currently an entertainment journalist in LA, and thus has intimate ties to the industry already? I agree that if we were talking about some kid from Arkansas who wants to move to LA to get into media law that it would be ridiculous and he/she should go to Penn, but if OP is truly already working in the industry then it's not as easy as that.

The only media journalist with intimate ties to the industry is Nikki Finke and everyone hates/is scared of her. Otherwise media journalists are definitely just like anyone else, on the outside looking in. He'd have as much chance at working in entertainment law as that proverbial kid from Arkansas.

If he had representation experience at an agency or management firm that would be best, since then he would have interacted w/ entertainment lawyers as part of his clients' teams, but even production company/studio experience would be decent.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu May 03, 2012 10:35 am

Close call because OP works in LA as a journalist & wants to maintain ties to the LA entertainment industry.

OP: Although Penn clearly places into biglaw better than UCLA, you will be taking yourself out of your current network for three years. Visit Penn & ask about summer associate placement in Los Angeles. It would be helpful to know specific LA placement stats from both schools.

Also, ask UCLA for additional scholarship money since some has recently become available & your Penn acceptance with money will get UCLA adcomms' attention.

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Thu May 03, 2012 10:40 am

barneytrouble wrote:When it's ajar.
+1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”