SUNY Buffalo ($) v. Pitt ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Pitt v Suny Buffalo

Pitt
25%
SUNY Buffalo
75%

Total votes: 8

balkins

SUNY Buffalo ($) v. Pitt ($)

Postby balkins » Wed May 02, 2012 7:21 pm

I already posted one of these earlier, but I just heard from Pitt today (clerical error in my application).

Details:

UB: I'm in state, and recieved 6k per year, leaving my tuition cost at 12K per year.
Pitt: Out of state, recieved 12k per year. Tuition cost of about 23k remain.

My undergraduate Degree is in Chemistry, and I am finishing my MBA in July. My intentions are to go into Intellectual Property law, and remain in the Western NY area for my career. I know UB is less expensive, but I feel Pitt has the better program.

GPA is 3.19, and my LSAT was 164. Before I get the retake comments, my highest practice test was a 165, and I was usually around a 162-3. I feel sitting out a cycle and studying would get me a 166 or so tops. I don't feel its worth waiting a year.

Thank you for your input :D

minnbills

Re: SUNY Buffalo ($) v. Pitt ($)

Postby minnbills » Wed May 02, 2012 8:57 pm

UB. You want to stay in the area and it's super cheap. No reason to pay more for Pitt.

Go bills!

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:07 pm

balkins wrote:I already posted one of these earlier, but I just heard from Pitt today (clerical error in my application).

Details:

UB: I'm in state, and recieved 6k per year, leaving my tuition cost at 12K per year.

My undergraduate Degree is in Chemistry, and I am finishing my MBA in July. My intentions are to go into Intellectual Property law, and remain in the Western NY area for my career. I know UB is less expensive, but I feel Pitt has the better program.

GPA is 3.19, and my LSAT was 164. Before I get the retake comments, my highest practice test was a 165, and I was usually around a 162-3. I feel sitting out a cycle and studying would get me a 166 or so tops. I don't feel its worth waiting a year.

Thank you for your input :D

If you want to stay in the WNY area, UB is your school. Anecdotally, I went to UG in the Buffalo-area and so a majority of my pre-law friends are currently going to UB. Everyone there is enjoying their time, and UB seems to do very well with the Buffalo/Rochester firms. They are a great value school when you are in-state, and you get a lot of bang for you buck. While Pitt is also a very strong regional strong, that is irrelevant if it isn't in the region you want to practice in. I think this is one of the few "no-brainer" law school choices.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 02, 2012 9:12 pm

In what respects does Pitt have "the better program" ? To which "program" are you referring ?

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:17 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:In what respects does Pitt have "the better program" ? To which "program" are you referring ?

It takes everyone a few posts to realize how utterly useless USNWR rankings are.

quiver

Postby quiver » Wed May 02, 2012 11:01 pm

balkins wrote:UB: I'm in state, and recieved 6k per year, leaving my tuition cost at 12K per year.
balkins wrote:My intentions are to go into Intellectual Property law, and remain in the Western NY area for my career.
Practically answered your own question. This:
minnbills wrote:UB. You want to stay in the area and it's super cheap. No reason to pay more for Pitt.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”