Stay on H and S waitlists or Accept NYU Deferral

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Stay on Waitlists or Accept NYU deferral

Stay on Harvard & Stanford waitlists and withdraw from NYU
7
29%
Accept NYU Deferral and Withdraw from H & S
17
71%
 
Total votes: 24

User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Stay on H and S waitlists or Accept NYU Deferral

Postby boosk » Wed May 02, 2012 1:13 pm

I've been waitlisted at H and S and offered a deferral at NYU. I have to deposit at NYU by Friday, and in order to keep the deferral, I need to withdraw all other apps. I would definitely attend H or S this fall, but the two-year deferral at NYU is a pretty sweet deal.

I'm really struggling to make a decision on this one. What should I do? I have to make up my mind tomorrow basically.

Thanks in advance...

User avatar
fingerscrossedxx
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Stay on H and S waitlists or Accept NYU Deferral

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Wed May 02, 2012 1:19 pm

boosk wrote:I've been waitlisted at H and S and offered a deferral at NYU. I have to deposit at NYU by Friday, and in order to keep the deferral, I need to withdraw all other apps. I would definitely attend H or S this fall, but the two-year deferral at NYU is a pretty sweet deal.

I'm really struggling to make a decision on this one. What should I do? I have to make up my mind tomorrow basically.

Thanks in advance...



Hmm, this is s tough one. Not sure if I have any advice for you. Do you have any other options? As in if you turn down NYU and dont get into either H or S will you not be going to law school this fall?

User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Stay on H and S waitlists or Accept NYU Deferral

Postby boosk » Wed May 02, 2012 1:22 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:Hmm, this is s tough one. Not sure if I have any advice for you. Do you have any other options? As in if you turn down NYU and dont get into either H or S will you not be going to law school this fall?


I'm also waitlisted at CC, but I'd rather defer NYU than end up at either of those this fall.

Twit
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:53 pm

Re: Stay on H and S waitlists or Accept NYU Deferral

Postby Twit » Wed May 02, 2012 1:24 pm

Are you sure that you have to pull from the waitlists? I don't know about deferrals, but most deposit agreements require you to withdraw from all school from which you've received a decision--waitlists don't count. That is, normally you can deposit at one school and then remain on the waitlists at other schools.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Stay on H and S waitlists or Accept NYU Deferral

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed May 02, 2012 1:26 pm

LSAC policy states that you are allowed to remain on waitlists when you commit to a school. Regardless of what NYU says, you are allowed to do this. I'd deposit at NYU and stay on whichever WLs you'd consider over NYU. The only bad thing that can result is that you'd get stuck paying two seat deposits

Edit: If you'd rather take NYU next year than CC this year, please withdraw soon for those of us on their WLs

User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Stay on H and S waitlists or Accept NYU Deferral

Postby boosk » Wed May 02, 2012 1:32 pm

Twit wrote:Are you sure that you have to pull from the waitlists? I don't know about deferrals, but most deposit agreements require you to withdraw from all school from which you've received a decision--waitlists don't count. That is, normally you can deposit at one school and then remain on the waitlists at other schools.


JamMasterJ wrote:LSAC policy states that you are allowed to remain on waitlists when you commit to a school. Regardless of what NYU says, you are allowed to do this. I'd deposit at NYU and stay on whichever WLs you'd consider over NYU. The only bad thing that can result is that you'd get stuck paying two seat deposits

Edit: If you'd rather take NYU next year than CC this year, please withdraw soon for those of us on their WLs


Here is the wording from the deferral contract:

I have declined all offers of admission and have withdrawn applications to other law schools... I understand that misrepresentation may be the basis for cancellation of my deferral status.


I think this means that they can cancel my deferment if I stay on waitlists...

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Stay on H and S waitlists or Accept NYU Deferral

Postby Nelson » Wed May 02, 2012 1:35 pm

What are your numbers? Do you have a reasonable chance of getting pulled off the Harvard waitlist?

EDIT: Checked your profile, you should take the NYU deferral. Your chances of getting pulled off of one of those waitlists even as a URM are slim.
Last edited by Nelson on Wed May 02, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Stay on H and S waitlists or Accept NYU Deferral

Postby boosk » Wed May 02, 2012 1:36 pm

Nelson wrote:What are your numbers? Do you have a reasonable chance of getting pulled off the Harvard waitlist?


165/3.57 MA URM - and I have no idea what my chances are on these WL's...

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Stay on H and S waitlists or Accept NYU Deferral

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed May 02, 2012 1:41 pm

boosk wrote:
Twit wrote:Are you sure that you have to pull from the waitlists? I don't know about deferrals, but most deposit agreements require you to withdraw from all school from which you've received a decision--waitlists don't count. That is, normally you can deposit at one school and then remain on the waitlists at other schools.


JamMasterJ wrote:LSAC policy states that you are allowed to remain on waitlists when you commit to a school. Regardless of what NYU says, you are allowed to do this. I'd deposit at NYU and stay on whichever WLs you'd consider over NYU. The only bad thing that can result is that you'd get stuck paying two seat deposits

Edit: If you'd rather take NYU next year than CC this year, please withdraw soon for those of us on their WLs


Here is the wording from the deferral contract:

I have declined all offers of admission and have withdrawn applications to other law schools... I understand that misrepresentation may be the basis for cancellation of my deferral status.


I think this means that they can cancel my deferment if I stay on waitlists...

I'm having trouble finding the lsac article on this, but the gist is that waitlists do not count as pending application for this purpose. It's a rule that schools try to skirt around, but they really can't make you withdraw. They can only make you withdraw from schools you've been admitted to

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Stay on H and S waitlists or Accept NYU Deferral

Postby Nelson » Wed May 02, 2012 1:42 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:I'm having trouble finding the lsac article on this, but the gist is that waitlists do not count as pending application for this purpose. It's a rule that schools try to skirt around, but they really can't make you withdraw. They can only make you withdraw from schools you've been admitted to

Deferral contracts are different since they're like early decision and will be reported to LSAC. He'll have to withdraw his pending apps.

User avatar
Mad Hatter
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: Stay on H and S waitlists or Accept NYU Deferral

Postby Mad Hatter » Wed May 02, 2012 1:44 pm

Will you be doing something meaningful/profitable during the two years?

User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Stay on H and S waitlists or Accept NYU Deferral

Postby boosk » Wed May 02, 2012 1:47 pm

Nelson wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:I'm having trouble finding the lsac article on this, but the gist is that waitlists do not count as pending application for this purpose. It's a rule that schools try to skirt around, but they really can't make you withdraw. They can only make you withdraw from schools you've been admitted to

Deferral contracts are different since they're like early decision and will be reported to LSAC. He'll have to withdraw his pending apps.


Here is a thread I started a few weeks ago with the LSAC policy quoted in it. It looks like Nelson is correct on this one, making my decision very difficult and hence this current thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=182054

edit: and here is the LSAC Policy:

After April 1, except under binding early decision plans, every
accepted applicant should be free to accept a new offer from
a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted,
a deposit has been paid, or a committment has been made
to another school. To provide applicants with an uncoerced
choice among various law schools, no excessive
nonrefundable deposit should be required solely to maintain
a place in the class. Beginning on May 15 of each year, law
schools that participate in the Commitment Overlap Service
will be provided with information concerning all enrollment
commitments to any law school made by those applicants
who have indicated an intention to enroll in that school’s
entering class. A law school should clearly communicate its
policies on multiple enrollment commitments upon admission


Mad Hatter wrote:Will you be doing something meaningful/profitable during the two years?


Government relations for a big company...
Last edited by boosk on Wed May 02, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Stay on H and S waitlists or Accept NYU Deferral

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed May 02, 2012 1:47 pm

Nelson wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:I'm having trouble finding the lsac article on this, but the gist is that waitlists do not count as pending application for this purpose. It's a rule that schools try to skirt around, but they really can't make you withdraw. They can only make you withdraw from schools you've been admitted to

Deferral contracts are different since they're like early decision and will be reported to LSAC. He'll have to withdraw his pending apps.

I'm not basing this next statement on any actual knowledge. I may be wrong: but wouldn't that mean that he just can't apply elsewhere next year?

OP, I'd call LSAC to get there take. Don't break any rules, but if you are free to keep your options open, don't let NYU strongarm you (I don't think they're trying to do this. They aren't known for being one of the schools that tries this trick. Just make sure you know what you can and cannot do).

If it comes down to having to choose one or the other, I'd go with the deferral. You probably aren't getting into S or H

User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Stay on H and S waitlists or Accept NYU Deferral

Postby boosk » Wed May 02, 2012 1:50 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:OP, I'd call LSAC to get there take.


Good call, thanks.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Stay on H and S waitlists or Accept NYU Deferral

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed May 02, 2012 1:51 pm

boosk wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:OP, I'd call LSAC to get there take.


Good call, thanks.

*their :oops:

User avatar
Mad Hatter
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: Stay on H and S waitlists or Accept NYU Deferral

Postby Mad Hatter » Wed May 02, 2012 1:52 pm

boosk wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:Will you be doing something meaningful/profitable during the two years?


Government relations for a big company...

Then I would take the deferral. Make some money, do some networking, enjoy your guaranteed acceptance at a T6 in two years.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Stay on H and S waitlists or Accept NYU Deferral

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed May 02, 2012 1:53 pm

Nelson wrote:What are your numbers? Do you have a reasonable chance of getting pulled off the Harvard waitlist?

EDIT: Checked your profile, you should take the NYU deferral. Your chances of getting pulled off of one of those waitlists even as a URM are slim.

I agree with Nelson here. Harvard and Stanford still look for high GPAs with their URM acceptances. You see a lot of 165/3.8 URM candidates accepted, but a 165/3.5 is much rarer. It happens, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Would it be possible to ask NYU to change the wording in the deferral?

TMC116
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: Stay on H and S waitlists or Accept NYU Deferral

Postby TMC116 » Wed May 02, 2012 2:03 pm

Yeah take NYU. Odds of getting off those wait lists are incredibly slim

User avatar
The Brainalist
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: Stay on H and S waitlists or Accept NYU Deferral

Postby The Brainalist » Wed May 02, 2012 4:18 pm

Deferring 2 years is too long in terms of opportunity costs. Deposit at Michigan and/or ride out the other waitlists you are on for all T14 schools. You would also do well to retake the LSAT. If you were to bring up your score 2 points, I think you'd do better, not so much in terms of acceptances, but scholarship money.

User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Stay on H and S waitlists or Accept NYU Deferral

Postby boosk » Wed May 02, 2012 4:41 pm

The Brainalist wrote:Deferring 2 years is too long in terms of opportunity costs.


huh?

anyways, I called LSAC and they told me to contact the schools... so it looks like I'll be depositing at NYU most likely.

PMan99
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: Stay on H and S waitlists or Accept NYU Deferral

Postby PMan99 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:48 pm

If your only option is to wait two years, you should just retake the LSAT. Getting into the 170s will guarantee you either (a) get into NYU next cycle, or, if you get high enough, (b) get into H/S next cycle. Since time doesn't seem to be an issue I'm not sure why this isn't being considered.

User avatar
The Brainalist
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: Stay on H and S waitlists or Accept NYU Deferral

Postby The Brainalist » Wed May 02, 2012 4:52 pm

If you are not getting any scholarship for the deferral, then you have to weigh that against the extra two years of your life that you would have been working and advancing your career as a lawyer. The other opportunity cost you pay is the opportunity to study for the LSAT for another year and to get huge scholarships to peer schools by raising your LSAT. Seems like a lot of sacrifice for NYU to ask when you are already admitted to a peer school without the need for deferral.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Stay on H and S waitlists or Accept NYU Deferral

Postby twenty » Wed May 02, 2012 4:57 pm

IF, and ONLY IF you think you can do significantly better on the LSAT and IF and ONLY IF you are genuinely okay with going to CC over NYU next year worst case scenario should you not deposit at NYU. Personally, I would take NYU and run.

EDIT> F that, take the LSAT in June. If you get a 171+, rethink your options then. At this rate, I'm not betting on that happening though.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Stay on H and S waitlists or Accept NYU Deferral

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed May 02, 2012 5:54 pm

It sounds like you want the deferral, right?

I think NYU is a pretty good situation for your numbers. I'd take it if you are sure you're okay with paying full price.

User avatar
boosk
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Stay on H and S waitlists or Accept NYU Deferral

Postby boosk » Thu May 03, 2012 3:01 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:It sounds like you want the deferral, right?


Yes, I requested and was granted the deferral. I deposited at NYU just now and sent in the signed deferral contract. I am still waiting to hear back from NYU about whether I must withdraw from the waitlists before I do so.

When I prepped for the LSAT, I did every Logic Game in existence, every reading comp passage in existence, and almost every LR problem in existence. I don't know how I would study for another LSAT...




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest