American ($10k/year) vs. Hastings, or reapply?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

American ($10k/year), Hastings, or reapply?

American
25%
Hastings
17%
Reapply
58%

Total votes: 12

dandylion

American ($10k/year) vs. Hastings, or reapply?

Postby dandylion » Wed May 02, 2012 3:33 am

I'm torn between these options:

Attend American or Hastings or wait and reapply - American has offered $10k/year in grant money and $7k merit for 1L year. Hastings offered nothing, and in-state tuition is similar to any private school ($43k). COL is comparable for attending both schools.

I've already taken the LSAT twice and got the same score both times (163) and graduated from a top 5 liberal arts college but with a 3.17 GPA. Have been working for the past 3 years, first in finance then nonprofit development.

Generally, I'm interested in international law, but more specifically refugee/asylum law (I know this is a niche field). I accept the reality that I may not find work in this area right away. I'm from the SF Bay Area, currently work here, my family is here, and I'd like to end up here eventually, but I'm open to living in DC/NYC for several years (and have lived on the East Coast for college/first job). It seems that DC has a lot more to offer in terms of opportunities (nonprofit/NGOs/international organizations) and I've heard that the SF legal market is very small (although DC's is saturated by law school grads). I'd consider reapplying, but is it a good idea in my case to take the LSAT 3x? Would it make any difference in my options, if nothing else on my application were to change drastically?

So far I'm leaning toward American after talking with alums ('05 and '06) who actually work in the exact areas I'm interested in - one is now teaching at a clinic at Hastings and still recommended American. But I would really appreciate other perspectives!

JasonR

Re: American ($10k/year) vs. Hastings, or reapply?

Postby JasonR » Wed May 02, 2012 3:50 am

Neither of those schools is worth anywhere even remotely close to those amounts. The fact that another retake would be your third shot at the LSAT would mean very little to nothing if you could actually achieve a significant jump in your score. If you scored a 170, no one would really care about your double 163.

And this is stating the obvious, but just retaking without doing anything different to prepare for the test probably isn't going to produce a significantly different result.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed May 02, 2012 3:58 am

Retake. These are both terrible choices for the cost.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed May 02, 2012 4:01 am

Bronck wrote:Retake. These are both terrible choices for the cost.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu May 03, 2012 2:52 pm

flem

Postby flem » Thu May 03, 2012 2:53 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”