Washington and Lee v Howard

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cnk89

Washington and Lee v Howard

Postby cnk89 » Tue May 01, 2012 6:51 pm

Hello all,

I've decided to create an account becasue I have a decision to make with not much time to do it and would like feeback. I have narrowed my decision down to W&L with $10,250/yr and Howard with 15,000/yr. My dad will be covering my living expenses so this just leaves me with tuition. With the scholarships included I'm looking at paying roughly $33,000 this year at W&L and $14,000 this year at Howard. Also, I am an AA female and would like to know which will be better for me in the long-run.

Thanks in advance

The Rover

Re: Washington and Lee v Howard

Postby The Rover » Tue May 01, 2012 6:53 pm

GPA / LSAT?

cnk89

Postby cnk89 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:01 pm

3.1/156

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:28 pm

I'd try to retake I know i'm a little hypercritical because my lsat isn't much better than yours but I have a 25k a year scholly to cornell as an aa male with similar numbers.. cracking 160 could change all of your prospects including admission to a t14 with money. Just my opinion.

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Tue May 01, 2012 7:28 pm

career goals?

cnk89

Postby cnk89 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:44 pm

I know a 160 will make all the difference but I have already taken the LSAT twice and I don't think taking a year off will be my best option.

I'm not sure exactly what I want to do when I graduate. I was an intern at the ACLU during undergrad and enjoyed it but I also wouldn't mind working in private practice with a comfortable salary.

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Tue May 01, 2012 7:48 pm

career goals matter a lot, if its corporate/big law i would say howard, anything else..maybe w&l..im an AA female that has committed to w&l..you have like 4 hours to make a decision since W&L's first deposit is due today, also, don't get too comfy with that $$ at howard, they are known for sticking students against each other and having students lose their scholarship

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:51 pm

cnk89 wrote:I know a 160 will make all the difference but I have already taken the LSAT twice and I don't think taking a year off will be my best option.

I'm not sure exactly what I want to do when I graduate. I was an intern at the ACLU during undergrad and enjoyed it but I also wouldn't mind working in private practice with a comfortable salary.

are you from virginia? if not I don't think either of these options might be in your best interest. I'm kinda leaning towards Howard tho I really don't think that W & L gives you that much better of employment opportunities compared to Howard. I know Howard places AA's pretty well for a t3 and if COL is going to be covered graduating with less than 60k debt wouldn't be a bad option.

cnk89

Postby cnk89 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:01 pm

Well I'm a military brat so I'm not really from anywhere but Virginia has been my permanent address for the past several years and I wouldn't mind having a carreer there.

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Tue May 01, 2012 8:03 pm

also, don't get too comfy with that $$ at howard, they are known for sticking students against each other and having students lose their scholarship

+1,000

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:05 pm

cnk89 wrote:Well I'm a military brat so I'm not really from anywhere but Virginia has been my permanent address for the past several years and I wouldn't mind having a carreer there.

O okay sorry just wondering about where your ties were from. I honestly don't know if theres a better answer here but W & L with ties wouldn't be terrible but over a 100k after interest and other things seems a little on the scary side for a non t14 but idk its your call.

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Tue May 01, 2012 8:11 pm

cnk89 wrote:Well I'm a military brat so I'm not really from anywhere but Virginia has been my permanent address for the past several years and I wouldn't mind having a carreer there.

i visited both schools, i thought howard was ugly to be honest, and i know looks don't matter all too much but if im going to be somewhere for a while i would want to be comfortable. While there the lights even kept going on and off and the student who gave me a tour was like (yup this is howard)..w&l isnt all that pretty either but its prettier, and plus i loved the small town vibe, less distractions i guess. Howard does have its ups tho, more on campus interviews since its in dc, and things like that, but w&l does have good people coming for oci's as well and I heard that the school pays for students to travel for job interviews paying expenses like lodging and the means to get to the interview itself. I'm from va, born and raised, and I see w&l as a great place to go to if you have plans on staying in va, i plan on going to dc but i still choose w&l over howard, mainly because of w&l has the highest bar passage rate in va

cnk89

Postby cnk89 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:23 pm

Yeah I visited w&l too and will be going to Howard to visit at the end of this week to compare. I really did like w&l and the only real reason stopping me from going is the money. I'm really scared to take on that kind of debt with employment prospects being uncertain and having to only focus on securing big law to pay it back.

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Tue May 01, 2012 8:41 pm

cnk89 wrote:Yeah I visited w&l too and will be going to Howard to visit at the end of this week to compare. I really did like w&l and the only real reason stopping me from going is the money. I'm really scared to take on that kind of debt with employment prospects being uncertain and having to only focus on securing big law to pay it back.

well it sounds like you've already made your decision

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:03 pm

cnk89 wrote:Yeah I visited w&l too and will be going to Howard to visit at the end of this week to compare. I really did like w&l and the only real reason stopping me from going is the money. I'm really scared to take on that kind of debt with employment prospects being uncertain and having to only focus on securing big law to pay it back.

Honestly the chances of getting either ACLU or biglaw out of either of these schools are low. I would take the money and run at Howard, being very cognizant of the section-stacking mentioned above.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 01, 2012 10:13 pm

Ask Wash & Lee for more money. Did you apply to William & Mary ? Any other options ?

cnk89

Postby cnk89 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:37 pm

I was denied at William and Mary and all my other options didn't make sense financially for what they were. The section stacking does sound like a problem but as long as I stay in the top 50% of my class, I get to keep half my scholarship. This would still make Howard the cheaper option or even if I lose it completely. Also, do you think w&l will negotiate with my Howard offer? I really liked the school when I visited and besides the money I could definitely see myself there.

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Tue May 01, 2012 11:50 pm

cnk89 wrote:I was denied at William and Mary and all my other options didn't make sense financially for what they were. The section stacking does sound like a problem but as long as I stay in the top 50% of my class, I get to keep half my scholarship. This would still make Howard the cheaper option or even if I lose it completely. Also, do you think w&l will negotiate with my Howard offer? I really liked the school when I visited and besides the money I could definitely see myself there.

negotiate?? you do realize the deadline to deposit is in 10 mins

also no they won't...no one has had luck, even people negotiating with a t20 offer or higher

cnk89

Postby cnk89 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:59 pm

Oh I deposited at w&l before I got my Howard offer about two weeks ago. Although, now I wish I had waited.

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Wed May 02, 2012 12:26 am

cnk89 wrote:Oh I deposited at w&l before I got my Howard offer about two weeks ago. Although, now I wish I had waited.

o that changes a lot...i would stick with w&l then..thats 750 u cant get back ..if you're balling though then im sure you wouldn't mind just giving up that 750

if you haven't taken a look you can look at these figures:

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

even though howard has a higher score there are more people not reporting their status..what also isn't put into consideration is that howard is mainly AAs, it would be interesting to see how AAs at W&L compare...all of the 3Ls in BLSA i spoke with at w&l when i went already had great job offers lined up

but if you are concerned about debt then take howard

my situation is a lot different from yours, i was offered a full ride at richmond and scholarships at a lot of other t40-50 schools, w&l giving me 15k a year, i turned the higher scholarships down mainly because i want to work with the government afterwards (maybe public defense) so i possibly have the loan forgiveness program to fall back on, but if thats not one of your options then it would be reasonable to consider money as well. And i know you dont have to pay for living but living in dc is double that of lexington so even though you think you are saving a huge amount by attending howard, the money is just going somewhere else, your housing and other cost of living expenses that are higher in that area.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”