Full Scholly Now or Wait for T14

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Impending1L
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:18 pm

Full Scholly Now or Wait for T14

Postby Impending1L » Tue May 01, 2012 1:08 pm

I am sitting with a Dean's Scholarship to Quinnipiac that comes with full tuition and networking privileges through the Dean who is in a leadership position in the CT ABA, as well as a full scholarship to Suffolk for both my JD and MBA. I am testing around a 170 which would be a six point increase from my last test. Part of me thinks ITE, take the money and run even with poorer job prospects, and part of me thinks ITE, take the school(s) with higher job placement. I don't know if it will be worth 200K of debt to go T14 when I have free options in the region I want to practice. Even if you strike out initially with jobs, it's a lot easier to manage COL living debt than sticker at a T14. My GPA is only a 3.5 so I won't be looking at big money from T14/would probably have to ED to have a shot at anything above Cornell.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Full Scholly Now or Wait for T14

Postby flem » Tue May 01, 2012 1:09 pm

Retake. Suffolk is a toilet.

The fact that you're thinking about this suggests you know the right answer.

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Full Scholly Now or Wait for T14

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue May 01, 2012 1:10 pm

Impending1L wrote:I am sitting with a Dean's Scholarship to Quinnipiac that comes with full tuition and networking privileges through the Dean who is in a leadership position in the CT ABA, as well as a full scholarship to Suffolk for both my JD and MBA. I am testing around a 170 which would be a six point increase from my last test. Part of me thinks ITE, take the money and run even with poorer job prospects, and part of me thinks ITE, take the school(s) with higher job placement. I don't know if it will be worth 200K of debt to go T14 when I have free options in the region I want to practice. Even if you strike out initially with jobs, it's a lot easier to manage COL living debt than sticker at a T14. My GPA is only a 3.5 so I won't be looking at big money from T14/would probably have to ED to have a shot at anything above Cornell.


3.5 here, with $ to two t14s. Retake.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Full Scholly Now or Wait for T14

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 01, 2012 1:29 pm

Retake. Even a small increase in your LSAT score should open up many more doors with scholarship money.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Full Scholly Now or Wait for T14

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:32 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Impending1L wrote:I am sitting with a Dean's Scholarship to Quinnipiac that comes with full tuition and networking privileges through the Dean who is in a leadership position in the CT ABA, as well as a full scholarship to Suffolk for both my JD and MBA. I am testing around a 170 which would be a six point increase from my last test. Part of me thinks ITE, take the money and run even with poorer job prospects, and part of me thinks ITE, take the school(s) with higher job placement. I don't know if it will be worth 200K of debt to go T14 when I have free options in the region I want to practice. Even if you strike out initially with jobs, it's a lot easier to manage COL living debt than sticker at a T14. My GPA is only a 3.5 so I won't be looking at big money from T14/would probably have to ED to have a shot at anything above Cornell.


3.5 here, with $ to two t14s. Retake.
5.56 here, with fairly significant money at a T14. The 3.5 isn't the death sentence you're thinking it is, OP.

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Full Scholly Now or Wait for T14

Postby KMaine » Tue May 01, 2012 1:38 pm

I had a 3.53/169 and got $$ from Cornell and $ from Duke and was told by Michigan that they would consider giving me $ if I showed them my other offers.

That said, I don't think it is as cut and dried as others are saying. If you took the Dean's Scholarship at Q, you would probably end up with some sort of legal job. Would it be enough to pay off the COL loans you took out and give you a comfortable living? I'm not sure. Would you eventually make a decent living in the law? Probably.

I like Suffolk less, but the Boston market is saturated with much better schools. The class size is huge, and very few (2% I am guessing) will get jobs in decent private firms in Boston. You might be able to get a job in the suburbs. Not sure.

If I were you, I would probably retake and reapply, but I don't think the offer from Q is as horrible as some on here might.

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: Full Scholly Now or Wait for T14

Postby SilverE2 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:49 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
Impending1L wrote:I am sitting with a Dean's Scholarship to Quinnipiac that comes with full tuition and networking privileges through the Dean who is in a leadership position in the CT ABA, as well as a full scholarship to Suffolk for both my JD and MBA. I am testing around a 170 which would be a six point increase from my last test. Part of me thinks ITE, take the money and run even with poorer job prospects, and part of me thinks ITE, take the school(s) with higher job placement. I don't know if it will be worth 200K of debt to go T14 when I have free options in the region I want to practice. Even if you strike out initially with jobs, it's a lot easier to manage COL living debt than sticker at a T14. My GPA is only a 3.5 so I won't be looking at big money from T14/would probably have to ED to have a shot at anything above Cornell.


3.5 here, with $ to two t14s. Retake.
5.56 here, with fairly significant money at a T14. The 3.5 isn't the death sentence you're thinking it is, OP.


That's an incredible GPA.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15525
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Full Scholly Now or Wait for T14

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue May 01, 2012 1:52 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:5.56 here, with fairly significant money at a T14. The 3.5 isn't the death sentence you're thinking it is, OP.


5.56? Retake for HYS :wink:

OP I have a sub 3.5 GPA and also managed to snag T-14 money. Just get the best LSAT score you can get and evaluate things from there.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Full Scholly Now or Wait for T14

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:54 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
Impending1L wrote:I am sitting with a Dean's Scholarship to Quinnipiac that comes with full tuition and networking privileges through the Dean who is in a leadership position in the CT ABA, as well as a full scholarship to Suffolk for both my JD and MBA. I am testing around a 170 which would be a six point increase from my last test. Part of me thinks ITE, take the money and run even with poorer job prospects, and part of me thinks ITE, take the school(s) with higher job placement. I don't know if it will be worth 200K of debt to go T14 when I have free options in the region I want to practice. Even if you strike out initially with jobs, it's a lot easier to manage COL living debt than sticker at a T14. My GPA is only a 3.5 so I won't be looking at big money from T14/would probably have to ED to have a shot at anything above Cornell.


3.5 here, with $ to two t14s. Retake.
5.56 here, with fairly significant money at a T14. The 3.5 isn't the death sentence you're thinking it is, OP.


That's an incredible GPA.
lol, whoops. :lol: I assume everyone realized I meant 3.56?

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Full Scholly Now or Wait for T14

Postby flem » Tue May 01, 2012 1:54 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:lol, whoops. :lol: I assume everyone realized I meant 3.56?


You mean you're not on the A+++++++ system?

Impending1L
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:18 pm

Re: Full Scholly Now or Wait for T14

Postby Impending1L » Tue May 01, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks for the input and advice guys. What is the general consensus on an ED to MVP? Is it worth the mind numbing 200K investment?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Full Scholly Now or Wait for T14

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:59 pm

flem wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:lol, whoops. :lol: I assume everyone realized I meant 3.56?


You mean you're not on the A+++++++ system?
Or maybe it's a 5.56 on a 10.0 scale and my grades were even worse than you'd think!

User avatar
jkpolk
Posts: 896
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:44 am

Re: Full Scholly Now or Wait for T14

Postby jkpolk » Tue May 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Impending1L wrote:Thanks for the input and advice guys. What is the general consensus on an ED to MVP? Is it worth the mind numbing 200K investment?


Probably, but if you have the score/residency to get in on your own merits i wouldnt risk the ED. This place is full of ~3.5/17x w/ RD money to T14s

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Full Scholly Now or Wait for T14

Postby Nelson » Tue May 01, 2012 2:01 pm

Impending1L wrote:Thanks for the input and advice guys. What is the general consensus on an ED to MVP? Is it worth the mind numbing 200K investment?

Depends on your goals and financial situation/resources.

But as people have already said in this thread, I wouldn't ED because you aren't necessarily paying sticker just because you have a 3.5. A lot depends on what your retake is.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests