T14 or UF for Florida market?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Lord Randolph McDuff

Re: T14 or UF for Florida market?

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed May 09, 2012 2:52 pm

JustE wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
JustE wrote:Didn't read most of this, but I'm an AA male w/ a 166 and an adjusted 3.21 GPA (http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/maroonurm). If you apply early and make sure your application is tight, there's no reason for you to consider UF. You should be at a T-14 with substantial cash (I hope someone has said that already).

Be realistic and have safeties, but please don't set your aim too low.

This is just more of the TLS sickness. What if.. OP is.. different than you?

Wha?

Look dude, I'm not sure what this TLS sickness is, but I came on this site aiming way too low. I owe everything I currently have to the people up here. OP has already confirmed the kind of URM his is. Granted, I have several other things that set me apart (work/leadership/service experience), but with his stats it's T14 w/ cash or bust. That's really all there is to it. I wouldn't be surprised if he cracked H.

Can you at least tell that you are making a massive assumption here? If you know that, then fine. I just worry that some people on this site can't even tell that when they talk about T-14 being better they are making a huge assumption that it would be better for everyone.

What if OP wants to work in the public defenders office? The DA's office... you network into those roles from the local school. They hire their summers-- why go to T-14 and then try to convince a PD that you want to summer at his/her office in Orlando, despite the fact that you must made the decision to spend tons of money on a T-14 degree that apparently you have no interest in utilizing? What if he wants to get a full-ride at the local school so he doesn't have to work for huge corporate firm that serves the ultra-rich when he graduates? What are all these better options and why do you believe they are better? DO YOU SEE THE ASSUMPTIONS YOU MAKE WHEN YOU TALK LIKE THAT?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed May 09, 2012 3:04 pm

If you want a firm job, there are hardly any of them. And they're going to the tippity top of the classes at local schools and people from UVA/Duke/Vandy with ties. If you're serious about FL you need to get a job here first for a while.

For PD/DA is probably better to go to a local school, but keep in mind hiring is hilariously depressed.

JustE

Postby JustE » Wed May 09, 2012 3:18 pm

JustE wrote:
JustE wrote:Didn't read most of this, but I'm an AA male w/ a 166 and an adjusted 3.21 GPA (http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/maroonurm). If you apply early and make sure your application is tight, there's no reason for you to consider UF. You should be at a T-14 with substantial cash (I hope someone has said that already).

Be realistic and have safeties, but please don't set your aim too low.

This is just more of the TLS sickness. What if.. OP is.. different than you?

Wha?

Look dude, I'm not sure what this TLS sickness is, but I came on this site aiming way too low. I owe everything I currently have to the people up here. OP has already confirmed the kind of URM his is. Granted, I have several other things that set me apart (work/leadership/service experience), but with his stats it's T14 w/ cash or bust. That's really all there is to it. I wouldn't be surprised if he cracked H.

Can you at least tell that you are making a massive assumption here? If you know that, then fine. I just worry that some people on this site can't even tell that when they talk about T-14 being better they are making a huge assumption that it would be better for everyone.

What if OP wants to work in the public defenders office? The DA's office... you network into those roles from the local school. They hire their summers-- why go to T-14 and then try to convince a PD that you want to summer at his/her office in Orlando, despite the fact that you must made the decision to spend tons of money on a T-14 degree that apparently you have no interest in utilizing? What if he wants to get a full-ride at the local school so he doesn't have to work for huge corporate firm that serves the ultra-rich when he graduates? What are all these better options and why do you believe they are better? DO YOU SEE THE ASSUMPTIONS YOU MAKE WHEN YOU TALK LIKE THAT?

What crawled up your ass and died? Chill the hell out.

Maybe you missed the part where I said that he should be at a T-14 with substantial cash? The kid doesn't have deep roots. Even if he goes to UF, he's still not gonna have roots. Also, please remember that a fullride to damn near any school still comes with $60k in COL loans attached to it.

If it comes down to a boatload of cash from UF vs. a boatload of cash from a T-14, I think it would be in the best interest of most people to take the T14.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed May 09, 2012 4:00 pm

JustE wrote:
If it comes down to a boatload of cash from UF vs. a boatload of cash from a T-14, I think it would be in the best interest of most people to take the T14.

I would probably agree to that, but lets just be careful assuming that everyone shares you goals and that everyone would go to a T-14 if they had the chance. I sat next to a 2L the other day who transferred from the T-14 and is now paying sticker at CU. She "hated it" there, and wants to work in Colorado. You may desire to write her off as being dumb after hearing two things about her on the internet, but the truth is that for what she wants the local state school is the right call.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu May 10, 2012 2:28 am

gulcregret

Postby gulcregret » Thu May 10, 2012 8:03 am

SunshineMagic wrote:Just wanted to say "having to drive everywhere" in miami is a joke for angelenos so in the end it is all relative. Also please don't say miami has no culture just because you are fat and ugly and from the midwest... Miami is not for the fugly

LOL at this. I'm not latin, but I pull. And Miami has no culture. Going out drinking and blowing money at clubs where you will not have enough cash to hook up with the girls there is not culture. Sports, art, restaurants, etc. That is how I define culture. And South Beach is ok, if you want to get pushed out by the same tourist fat people that you called me. I'm a bro, too. Well used to be, now I'm married.

All jokes aside, Miami is a boring city after a week of partying.

SunshineMagic

Postby SunshineMagic » Thu May 10, 2012 12:16 pm

gulcregret wrote:
SunshineMagic wrote:Just wanted to say "having to drive everywhere" in miami is a joke for angelenos so in the end it is all relative. Also please don't say miami has no culture just because you are fat and ugly and from the midwest... Miami is not for the fugly

LOL at this. I'm not latin, but I pull. And Miami has no culture. Going out drinking and blowing money at clubs where you will not have enough cash to hook up with the girls there is not culture. Sports, art, restaurants, etc. That is how I define culture. And South Beach is ok, if you want to get pushed out by the same tourist fat people that you called me. I'm a bro, too. Well used to be, now I'm married.

All jokes aside, Miami is a boring city after a week of partying.

You wont spend a dime on bottle service and bypass the door if you go down with a good promoter... Hence miami is not for the fugly. If you couldn't make it on any of the agency's boards you would probably have no fun.

Realization!!! Most places are no fun for ugly people the world is made for the pretties and the rich uglies who pay to be in their presence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBY3wuybsNs

Return to “Choosing a Law School”