Cornell vs Vanderbilt with $

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mnevins

Cornell vs Vanderbilt with $

Postby mnevins » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:19 pm

I just mailed my deposit to Vanderbilt last night at about 3 am, and woke up this morning to an acceptance from Cornell. It wouldn't be too late to cancel the check and email admissions about the mistake.

I want to go into corporate law, which I hear cornell is the better school for, but is the additional reach worth the 20k/yr scholarship that I would receive at Vanderbilt? I dont know where i want to practice. Since I've done more research im leaning towards staying with vandy, but I really cant make an informed decision about cornell in such a short amount of time.

quick feedback greatly appreciated, scrambling to make a decision :C

msblaw89

Re: Cornell vs Vanderbilt with $

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:22 pm

mnevins wrote:I just mailed my deposit to Vanderbilt last night at about 3 am, and woke up this morning to an acceptance from Cornell. It wouldn't be too late to cancel the check and email admissions about the mistake.

I want to go into corporate law, which I hear cornell is the better school for, but is the additional reach worth the 20k/yr scholarship that I would receive at Vanderbilt? I dont know where i want to practice. Since I've done more research im leaning towards staying with vandy, but I really cant make an informed decision about cornell in such a short amount of time.

I chose Cornell with 45k over Vandy with 75k. I visited both schools, and while I love Vandy, Cornell has the edge.... Especially in biglaw

mnevins

Postby mnevins » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:47 pm

bump

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:52 pm

mnevins wrote:I just mailed my deposit to Vanderbilt last night at about 3 am, and woke up this morning to an acceptance from Cornell. It wouldn't be too late to cancel the check and email admissions about the mistake.

Where do you want to work? Are you BigLaw or Bust? Where are you from/have ties to?

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:57 pm

From the minimal info you've provided, it's hard to say. Sounds like you really want to just keep your options open. So, yeah, Cornell is worth the additional money. Congrats!

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:25 pm

Any ties to the South? And will Cornell budge with any amount of aid? Even if they give 7-10k a year, I'd go Cornell.

mnevins

Postby mnevins » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:44 pm

looking through cornell's financial aid checklist, I dont think i even turned in their own separate "financial aid information sheet" which was due march 15th. does anybody know if this makes me ineligible for scholarship moneys? i filled out the fafsa and need access, and if you ask me thats kind of dick for them to do considering they let me in a month and a half after the due date.

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:45 pm

Are there repercussions to bouncing a check to a law school? You signed the check. It seems dishonest.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:47 pm

mnevins wrote:looking through cornell's financial aid checklist, I dont think i even turned in their own separate "financial aid information sheet" which was due march 15th. does anybody know if this makes me ineligible for scholarship moneys? i filled out the fafsa and need access, and if you ask me thats kind of dick for them to do considering they let me in a month and a half after the due date.

I think that those forms are only required for need-based aid. You can separately be considered for merit-based aid. And then you receive a single package that lumps your need- and merit-based money. Email them about it.

top30man

Postby top30man » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:49 pm

msblaw89 wrote:

I chose Cornell with 45k over Vandy with 75k. I visited both schools, and while I love Vandy, Cornell has the edge.... Especially in biglaw

Also chose Cornell with 60k over vandy with 75k. Before I got my scholarship info, I was torn. I didn't have any ties to the south. If I did I would have gone vandy if Cornell were sticker.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:03 pm

woeisme wrote:
mnevins wrote:looking through cornell's financial aid checklist, I dont think i even turned in their own separate "financial aid information sheet" which was due march 15th. does anybody know if this makes me ineligible for scholarship moneys? i filled out the fafsa and need access, and if you ask me thats kind of dick for them to do considering they let me in a month and a half after the due date.

I think that those forms are only required for need-based aid. You can separately be considered for merit-based aid. And then you receive a single package that lumps your need- and merit-based money. Email them about it.

just email them, i'm pretty sure I filled this stuff out when I got accepted, which was in June or something. I'm pretty sure I have a combo of need/merit.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”