Notre Dame vs University of Illinois Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Notre Dame vs University of Illinois

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue May 01, 2012 1:59 pm

OP: Illinois is the better choice for you based on your posts.

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:03 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: Illinois is the better choice for you based on your posts.
Thanks for the opinion.

Just curious here, but what type of law I want to study doesn't really have any factor in this decision, right? I'm not even sure yet.

donzoli

Bronze

Post by donzoli » Tue May 01, 2012 4:13 pm

givemea170 wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:
bartleby wrote:go to ND (unless your parents are like...lower-middle class or lower)
Lolwut
I am starting to feel like I will be happy with either decision. I just wish I had a clear reason to make one seem like the obvious correct choice.
Are you Catholic? Would you rather go to a small, undergraduate focused, religious school, or a large secular school? The schools are likely polar opposites.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue May 01, 2012 4:15 pm

Type of law is not relevant in your, or in most, situations. Where you want to work geographically should be a major consideration as well as total COA.

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:37 pm

Still unsure to be honest.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Wed May 02, 2012 3:21 pm

ND seems to offer an 18K per year fellowship, does that matter? Not sure if it is guaranteed or how that works.

rma

Bronze

Post by rma » Wed May 02, 2012 3:47 pm

givemea170 wrote:ND seems to offer an 18K per year fellowship, does that matter? Not sure if it is guaranteed or how that works.
If guaranteed, I think ND is the clear choice. Will give you just as good opportunities in Chicago than UofI would (if not better). And if you change your mind, ND gives you more national reach.

Given that money wasn't a huge factor for you to begin with, and now that you have significant money from ND, I think ND is the clear choice.

Congrats!

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Wed May 02, 2012 3:59 pm

rma wrote:
givemea170 wrote:ND seems to offer an 18K per year fellowship, does that matter? Not sure if it is guaranteed or how that works.
If guaranteed, I think ND is the clear choice. Will give you just as good opportunities in Chicago than UofI would (if not better). And if you change your mind, ND gives you more national reach.

Given that money wasn't a huge factor for you to begin with, and now that you have significant money from ND, I think ND is the clear choice.

Congrats!
Thanks! I don't know too much about fellowships though... do you know how the majority of them work?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed May 02, 2012 4:05 pm

If offered an $18,000 per year fellowship at Notre Dame, then the better choice is probably Notre Dame due to its superior national reputation. However, if Northwestern accepts you from hold/waitlist status, then you'll need to repost or redeposit. :D

For Chicago placement, however, ND & Illinois are probably equals.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:29 pm

Given equal cost (which they are for you...zero) I'd choose Notre Dame. If you feel guilty about your parents paying extra for basically no tangible increase in job prospects then go to Illinois, but given equal job prospects at least ND has lay prestige.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Wed May 02, 2012 8:43 pm

2014 wrote:Given equal cost (which they are for you...zero) I'd choose Notre Dame. If you feel guilty about your parents paying extra for basically no tangible increase in job prospects then go to Illinois, but given equal job prospects at least ND has lay prestige.
At least you recognize that there's not a tangible increase in job prospects...

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed May 02, 2012 8:56 pm

If money's not an issue then choose ND.

I gotta tell you, a lot of $$$ is being spent on this decision (maybe not your money, but still) that would be much better used elsewhere (as in, not for law school). ND's sticker price--like tuition at pretty much every school outside of the top 3 to 6--is outrageous, and not commensurate with the expected value of the degree.

Of course, there are always personal reasons to go to LS; I'm just talking about numbers.

zozin

Gold

Post by zozin » Wed May 02, 2012 9:13 pm

If you got 33% out-of-state tution from Illinois and $18K from ND, Notre Dame is now cheaper. You seemed to like it more anyway, so now it seems like a no brainer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Mon May 07, 2012 1:47 am

Last time I'm revisiting this subject...

if I'm 100% positive I want to work in Chicago... at equal cost, where would YOU go?

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Mon May 07, 2012 9:01 am

givemea170 wrote:Last time I'm revisiting this subject...

if I'm 100% positive I want to work in Chicago... at equal cost, where would YOU go?
Northwestern

Just kidding, Illinois. Then again, I actually have no idea what markets ND feeds into. I'm guessing it's one of those quasi-national schools that will let you return to a home market or something, but I don't think it would open up doors to any new markets like Illinois would. Illinois obviously feeds a good portion of grads into Chicago.

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:52 am

tfleming09 wrote:
givemea170 wrote:Last time I'm revisiting this subject...

Northwestern

Just kidding, Illinois. Then again, I actually have no idea what markets ND feeds into. I'm guessing it's one of those quasi-national schools that will let you return to a home market or something, but I don't think it would open up doors to any new markets like Illinois would. Illinois obviously feeds a good portion of grads into Chicago.
lol, if only. Still on their wait-list. Thanks for backing up the sentiment I have. It seems like ND would be the better choice if I wanted to work in California or the North East... I'm pretty sure I want to be in Chicago though.

SpiteFence

Bronze

Post by SpiteFence » Mon May 07, 2012 2:20 pm

I still say ND for Chicago. We're probably about equal in terms of OCI, but no one beats our alumni. If you're willing to put in an ounce of effort into networking, choose ND.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Mon May 07, 2012 2:26 pm

SpiteFence wrote:I still say ND for Chicago. We're probably about equal in terms of OCI, but no one beats our alumni. If you're willing to put in an ounce of effort into networking, choose ND.
Why would the alumni thing benefit him in Chicago though? The benefit of the ND alumni network is in being able to get other markets. I'm sure ND has some great alumni in Chicago, but Illinois has ALL of our alumni in Chicago, and in that city Illinois places better. In the class of 2010 only 29 of 172 ND students went to work in the state of Illinois. So even if all things were equal (which they're not, he's got a better scholly at Illinois), if he knows he wants Chicago then Illinois is a better choice in terms of job prospects.

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Mon May 07, 2012 2:30 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
SpiteFence wrote:I still say ND for Chicago. We're probably about equal in terms of OCI, but no one beats our alumni. If you're willing to put in an ounce of effort into networking, choose ND.
Why would the alumni thing benefit him in Chicago though? The benefit of the ND alumni network is in being able to get other markets. I'm sure ND has some great alumni in Chicago, but Illinois has ALL of our alumni in Chicago, and in that city Illinois places better. In the class of 2010 only 29 of 172 ND students went to work in the state of Illinois. So even if all things were equal (which they're not, he's got a better scholly at Illinois), if he knows he wants Chicago then Illinois is a better choice in terms of job prospects.
I think you're right. Well, the numbers say you are right, I"m sure some ND grads self select away from Chicago but I wouldn't think it'd make THAT big of a difference. I'm coming to Illinois. ND is a great school though and I'm sure I'll even visit up there since my brother and dad are big ND fans and go to games sometimes.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Mon May 07, 2012 2:33 pm

If you want Chicago, Illinois.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”