Notre Dame vs University of Illinois

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
givemea170

Notre Dame vs University of Illinois

Postby givemea170 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:00 pm

Just got taken off the wait-list at ND. Just informed by email that they had no further scholarship rewards and would be paying sticker at ND. Have a 33% scholarship at U of I.

Still really torn. Parents are footing the bill so to be honest, money isn't the most important factor here.

bartleby

Re: Notre Dame vs University of Illinois

Postby bartleby » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:05 pm

go to ND (unless your parents are like...lower-middle class or lower)

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:07 pm

bartleby wrote:go to ND (unless your parents are like...lower-middle class or lower)

They won't miss the $$$.

Any reasons on why ND in particular? I want to work in Chicago most likely.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:11 pm

Are you a resident of Illinois? Also, do you have ties to the state?

If yes to the first question, UIUC. If yes to the second question, then it doesn't matter in your case (given that money is not an issue).

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:14 pm

bartleby wrote:go to ND (unless your parents are like...lower-middle class or lower)

Lolwut

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:14 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Are you a resident of Illinois? Also, do you have ties to the state?

If yes to the first question, UIUC. If yes to the second question, then it doesn't matter in your case (given that money is not an issue).

No ties to Illinois, not a resident. Just want to work in Chicago most likely and Northwestern has me on hold and will probably never get off that one.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:16 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:

Lolwut

I am starting to feel like I will be happy with either decision. I just wish I had a clear reason to make one seem like the obvious correct choice.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:17 pm

I think I made my stance clear already in the UIUC thread but just to reiterate, absolutely no way ND is worth sticker over money at Illinois. They are the definition of peer schools. IL places a little better in Chicago, ND places a little better nationally. Other than that job prospects are nearly identical. Unless you are a rabid Catholic or hate the idea of working in Chicago, take Illinois.

SpiteFence

Postby SpiteFence » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:18 pm

I'm an ND student, and all else equal I would still go with ND. But 33% is a ton of money, probably enough to make me change my mind.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:21 pm

givemea170 wrote:

Lolwut

I am starting to feel like I will be happy with either decision. I just wish I had a clear reason to make one seem like the obvious correct choice.

Do you ever see yourself not wanting to work in Chicago? If that's the case, then ND is something to consider. Otherwise, in general, I'd go with U of I.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:22 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:I think I made my stance clear already in the UIUC thread but just to reiterate, absolutely no way ND is worth sticker over money at Illinois. They are the definition of peer schools. IL places a little better in Chicago, ND places a little better nationally. Other than that job prospects are nearly identical. Unless you are a rabid Catholic or hate the idea of working in Chicago, take Illinois.

Yeah, you did. I appreciate the responses in both, kind of wanted to get an idea from someone who is certainly impartial.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:23 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
givemea170 wrote:

Lolwut

Do you ever see yourself not wanting to work in Chicago? If that's the case, then ND is something to consider. Otherwise, in general, I'd go with U of I.

It is tough, I love Chicago but I can't predict the future I guess. It could happen where I wouldn't want to work there.

SpiteFence

Postby SpiteFence » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:27 pm

In my mind, if you want to go to Chicago the choice between ND/Illinois is even. Take the money.

zozin

Postby zozin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:29 pm

I don't see ND being worth the extra $40K + interest. And this is from somebody who chose ND over Illinois at a higher cost, even though it was a much smaller price difference.

Also, retake and apply early to NU.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:34 pm

Glad to hear most people see these as peer schools.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy for still choosing UIUC

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:37 pm

I guess I can commiserate, somewhat. I actually ED'd to Notre Dame, but was waitlisted. Although I still ride the waitlist, I find myself choosing Illinois no matter what ND decides to do (unless serious money is involved). They seem to be peer schools, and I want to live and work in Illinois. This is a personal decision, but 33% to sticker is a big difference for schools with similar placement. I felt strongly enough to apply ED to ND, but now that I have 25% to UIUC, plus a strong desire for Chicago/Springfield, I'm really looking forward to attending Illinois. Plus, people keep saying that if you go to ND you'll be more marketable nationally. I don't know how legal hiring/lateraling works, but I've heard if you've done a firm for a few years, law school doesn't matter in regards to finding another job.

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:40 pm

33% is too much to take ND for even though U of I is on the way down.

It's more an issue of the fact that ND isn't amazing.

zozin

Postby zozin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:41 pm

AffordablePrep wrote:33% is too much to take ND for even though U of I is on the way down.

Yea okay. :roll:

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:42 pm

Also maybe it's just me, but although the ND campus is breathtaking, the student body pretty cool and the different kind of lawyer thing equally cool, South Bend just sucks. Anytime a school's fun weekend mantra is we're only 90 minutes from chicago, I get depressed.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:44 pm

mattviphky wrote:I guess I can commiserate, somewhat. I actually ED'd to Notre Dame, but was waitlisted. Although I still ride the waitlist, I find myself choosing Illinois no matter what ND decides to do (unless serious money is involved). They seem to be peer schools, and I want to live and work in Illinois. This is a personal decision, but 33% to sticker is a big difference for schools with similar placement. I felt strongly enough to apply ED to ND, but now that I have 25% to UIUC, plus a strong desire for Chicago/Springfield, I'm really looking forward to attending Illinois. Plus, people keep saying that if you go to ND you'll be more marketable nationally. I don't know how legal hiring/lateraling works, but I've heard if you've done a firm for a few years, law school doesn't matter in regards to finding another job.

I saw you had both these schools in mind. I will probably wait for the acceptance package... read through it and see if it wows me.

zozin

Postby zozin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:46 pm

givemea170 wrote:
mattviphky wrote:I guess I can commiserate, somewhat. I actually ED'd to Notre Dame, but was waitlisted. Although I still ride the waitlist, I find myself choosing Illinois no matter what ND decides to do (unless serious money is involved). They seem to be peer schools, and I want to live and work in Illinois. This is a personal decision, but 33% to sticker is a big difference for schools with similar placement. I felt strongly enough to apply ED to ND, but now that I have 25% to UIUC, plus a strong desire for Chicago/Springfield, I'm really looking forward to attending Illinois. Plus, people keep saying that if you go to ND you'll be more marketable nationally. I don't know how legal hiring/lateraling works, but I've heard if you've done a firm for a few years, law school doesn't matter in regards to finding another job.

I saw you had both these schools in mind. I will probably wait for the acceptance package... read through it and see if it wows me.

LOL, don't do that. It's much nicer than Illinois, and that shouldn't sway you. :lol:

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:47 pm

zozin wrote:
givemea170 wrote:

LOL, don't do that. It's much nicer than Illinois, and that shouldn't sway you. :lol:

I didn't mean the actual package... haha but I see your point. I've been to both campuses... ND's is more pleasing aesthetically, lol

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:47 pm

AffordablePrep wrote:33% is too much to take ND for even though U of I is on the way down.

Nobody can really say Illinois is 'on the way down'. It went down in the rankings this year because of the shit medians but it didn't somehow become a worse law school because of the scandal. I think there may be some long term impact in terms of not being able to attract as many good applicants (the amount of should I go to Illinois threads this year is astounding and I think the scandal has a lot to do with it) but if that's the case it will take years for hiring to reflect that.

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:48 pm

Nobody can really say Illinois is 'on the way down'. It went down in the rankings this year because of the shit medians but it didn't somehow become a worse law school because of the scandal. I think there may be some long term impact in terms of not being able to attract as many good applicants (the amount of should I go to Illinois threads this year is astounding and I think the scandal has a lot to do with it) but if that's the case it will take years for hiring to reflect that.

it's not the rankings i'm talking about. they're equal there (relatively).

it is the scandal, and how firms perceive them now.

illini22

Postby illini22 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:49 pm

Did you visit ND? It can also come down to personal choice. I had slightly more money from ND than from Illinois (I applied to like 30 schools, so i have experience with almost every Midwest school), I chose Illinois because I personally just loved the people here, I really liked ND law school building more, but, its just a building...

If you havent visit ND, do so. But whoever tells you that ND and Illinois are not peer school is either bias or delusional. ND edges illinois in "national placement" but if you are going to start your career in Chicago, I say Illinois. For long term, no one will care in 5 years what school you went to, they will care what firm you went to. People actually become "alumni" of a firm and you have a "class of 20xx" from the firm the same way you do in law school. So if 5 years down the line you want to move out of Chicago, whether you went to Illinois or ND will make little if any difference.

Parents footing the bill is awesome, but like someone said, unless they are swimming in money, it is still money.... Shit, 40k buys you a pretty nice car, imagine throwing that off a building for "fucks sake"; still hurts. People talk here about money as if it was nothing.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”