LSU @ 2k/year vs. Retake LSAT

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

LSU $$$ vs. Retake LSAT

LSU $$$
35%
Retake LSAT and apply to T-14
59%
Retake LSAT for scholly at higher ranked school than LSU
6%

Total votes: 17

number1gun

LSU @ 2k/year vs. Retake LSAT

Postby number1gun » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:47 pm

I am considering re-taking the LSAT to apply to Penn, UVA, Michigan, or UT Austin vs paying 2k a year to go to LSU vs retaking to apply to higher ranked schools outside the t-14 for scholarship. I have a 3.1 GPA from 2006 with interesting softs. I would need to raise my score by at least 5 points to have a chance at one of these schools. I have taken the test 3 times already and would not be able to retake again until December. My career goals are from highest to lowest:

1. State Department/FBI/CIA - Either in the State Department as a
foreign service officer or as a field agent in the FBI or CIA

2. Consulting - Either consulting for a government agency such as state
department, fbi, or cia. Also would be open to doing management
consulting for accenture or booze allen.

3. Law Firm Work or Consulting - In the international oil and natural
gas business.

In terms of obtaining these goals I have thought about taking the LSU
scholarship, and spending a year in between my 2nd and 3rd year to
move over to Cairo and learn Arabic in a full immersion environment
for a year. An arabic professor at Duke University suggest I go to
this program: http://www.arabacademy.com/ It's only $4,400 + living
expenses for a year of arabic. I could also spend one semester of my
education studying abroad in Jordan, Saudi Arabia, or Egypt taking
courses in international oil and natural gas while continuing to
refine my arabic language skill. The other option I have would
be to take a year off, apply to one of the higher ranked schools
mentioned above and perhaps try to do the same thing with acquiring
the language in between 2nd and 3rd year in addition to studying
abroad. The difference in cost would be roughly $180k - $200k.
I would come out in 4 years with a high degree of fluency in
Arabic (according to Duke University professor) and 1 1/2 years
in-country experience.

My questions are as follows. Do you think the language skill would
place me at a significant advantage towards obtaining these career
goals? Do you think that having a law degree from a lower ranked
school school like LSU will place me at a significant disadvantage
toward obtaining these goals? Any thoughts, advice, etc. would be
much appreciated. Thank you!
Last edited by number1gun on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson

Re: LSU @ 2k/year vs. Retake LSAT

Postby Nelson » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:53 pm

Neither of your top two goals require a JD. Don't go to law school if you want to be in the foreign service or be a consultant.

number1gun

Postby number1gun » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:56 pm

What should I do to obtain these goals? I have very non-traditional work experience that is not applicable to anything outside of my current career path (at least not on paper). Also, I need some additional education, experience, and/ or skill set to act as a bridge from my past career.
Last edited by number1gun on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:57 pm

number1gun wrote:Do what then to obtain these goals? I have very non-traditional work experience that is not applicable to anything outside of my current career path (at least on paper).

http://careers.state.gov/officer/selection-process

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_ ... nistration

number1gun

Postby number1gun » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:05 pm

MBA? Correct me if I am wrong, but I hear that MBA's are a joke outside of the top schools (HBS, Penn, etc.) I am not getting into HBS, Penn, or any of those schools with my 3.1 gpa. If I don't achieve my first two goals then wouldn't a JD from LSU be more helpful in gaining employment vs. MBA from a similarly ranked school.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:11 pm

number1gun wrote:MBA? Correct me if I am wrong, but I hear that MBA's are a joke outside of the top schools (HBS, Penn, etc.) I am not getting into HBS, Penn, or any of those schools with my 3.1 gpa. If I don't achieve my first two goals then wouldn't a JD from LSU be more helpful in gaining employment vs. MBA from a similarly ranked school.

I have no idea what you'd need to get into a top MBA program. But a JD from LSU will be good for getting you a job at a small law firm in Louisiana. That doesn't sound like what you want to do.

number1gun

Postby number1gun » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:14 pm

Yes it isn't necessarily what I want to do, but neither is going 200k in debt at Virginia only to end up back here anyways. I had that happen to some people I know that went to Virginia Law, ended up middle of their class, and back in their hometowns with a lot of debt and the feeling they could have gotten to the same place at their respective state universities.
Last edited by number1gun on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:33 pm

Hard to offer meaningful advice without knowing more about your work experience in light of your broadly stated goals.

If you were directly out of undergraduate school or with only one or two years work experience, then your broadly stated career aspirations might be more appropriate; however, with 6 years post-college work experience, your objectives should be a bit more refined & relate to your prior work experience.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:40 pm

Attend LSU if you want to work in Louisiana, Mississippi or Texas as an attorney since recruiting is regional for LSU. Government agencies may be interested in your skills developed over the past decade (college & work experience) combined with a higher degree, but it's hard to guess at your experience & knowledge. In short, more information is needed, including your LSAT scores, if you want meaningful responses, in my opinion.

P.S. Interesting that you mentioned Duke in your initial post in this thread. If able to get admitted to Duke Law, you should be able to complete both a law degree & your Arabic certification/joint degree in three years rather than the four years that you anticipate since Duke Law makes joint degrees quite easy to arrange.

number1gun

Postby number1gun » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:52 pm

Work experience - world traveler in the entertainment industry. Can't go too much more in depth with it. I think the fact that I enjoyed the travel so much has informed why I want to work in a career field that has me living overseas, traveling, etc. in some sort of expat capacity. 165 lsat

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:10 pm

Interesting work, but unlikely to help your career goals.

LSU is an interesting law school in that it awards two degrees to each law grad--one in common law (JD) and a bachelors in civil law. LSU may be the only US law school offering a civil law degree.

If your ambitions include practising law in Europe, then McGill in Canada is your best bet as European firms recruit there. (Some Canadian law schools offer a choice of programs between earning a common law degree or a degree in civil law.) Canadian law schools, unfortunately, may not be a realistic option in your case because they weigh one's GPA for about 75% of the admission's decision & only 25% for the LSAT.

Overall, the better course of action may be to retake the LSAT after substantial preparation to increase your law school options. A joint JD/MBA program may appeal to you in lit of your desire to pursue consulting work.

number1gun

Postby number1gun » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:17 pm

jd/mba from LSU? or retake and try to get into higher ranked law school with MBA program? What are my realistic options for MBA programs with a 3.1 gpa?

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:24 pm

These are all really specific career goals where a JD from a regional school is unlikely to help you get there. I know management consultants for one do not usually hire outside of the top schools. CIA/FBI/State Dep't will be extraordinarily competitive. With a 165 you are so close- wait a year and do a retake.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:28 pm

If you score a 171 or higher on the LSAT, then Northwestern law school becomes a possibility even with a low GPA since you have many years of work experience (WE). Northwestern has a great MBA program that is open to JD students (unless there were recent changes). Otherwise your 3.1 GPA presents a problem for both top law & MBA schools.

Interesting that the above poster sees your career goals as specifically focused on the FBI & CIA. I read your initial posts as listing about 8 career interests without specific experience, other than travel abroad, that suggest a particular path. My understanding regarding FBI is that regional law schools are not a barrier, but may be for the CIA. With respect to business consulting, oil field endeavors whether in law or consulting, many Texas law schools can get you there (Univ. of Texas, Univ. of Houston & SMU).
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

number1gun

Postby number1gun » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:38 pm

Look at the cost listed at the bottom of this page:

http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/jdm ... ssions.htm

Also, I would have to take the GMAT to go this route.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:41 pm

Law school is expensive as are top MBA programs. Unfortunately, your 3.1 GPA poses a problem with respect to scholarship money. If, however, you focus on working in oil & gas related matters, then the Houston & SMU may offer scholarship money to you. LSU should have law firms doing oil & gas related legal work as well.

Have you looked at Foreign Service Officer's exams ? The interviews are also unusually demanding.

Seems like oil & gas related law, including real estate & contract work, are your most realistic options based on your highest of three LSAT sittings combined with your undergraduate GPA. To me, your eyes are looking in too many directions without strong reasons.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

number1gun

Postby number1gun » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:48 pm

Interesting comments here. I wonder how much of a boost an arabic language skill would have towards these goals with a law degree from LSU.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:54 pm

Certainly, the FBI, CIA & oil companies value Arabic, but have you studied Arabic yet? Typically the Foreign Service allows 12 months to learn a foreign language (24 months for Chinese & Mandarin dialect) after passing the foreign service officer's exam & the oral interviews. Their websites should be more helpful to you. A law degree is not necessary to pursue FBI, CIA or to become a Foreign Service Officer, but language fluency is likely to be a requirement for work abroad.

Consider working in the Middle East for an oil company, learn Arabic &/or Farsi & wait for the government to approach you. :D

number1gun

Postby number1gun » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:04 pm

These are all options. I just wonder how hard it would be for me to land a job with an oil company or law firm doing oil & gas transactional work in the middle east if my law degree says LSU and I also have an arabic language skill with in-country experience. I feel like this might be a great option since my debt would be minimal.

number1gun

Postby number1gun » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:48 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:
Seems like oil & gas related law, including real estate & contract work, are your most realistic options based on your highest of three LSAT sittings combined with your undergraduate GPA. To me, your eyes are looking in too many directions without strong reasons.

Reasons = want to live abroad in Europe and MIddle East. Enjoy spending time traveling and working abroad in general. Also, I come from a family background that values public service. Many of the jobs listed in my first tier of preference would give me the opportunity to work abroad in a public service capacity.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:43 pm

Contact LSU law school's career services office & ask. At the very least, they should know which Houston & Dallas law firms recruit at LSU. You might be surprised at the resources offered by large state universities. Several universities have a special designation & funding from the US Government for language instruction. At Alabama, for example, undergrads in the Honors College receive individual language instruction funded by the US Gov't for any language not available as a regular university course offering.

P.S. $2,000 tuition per year for law degrees from LSU is a great deal if willing to live & work in Louisiana, Texas and/or Mississippi.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:53 pm

I am not sure if law school is right for you, but if you decide it is, retake and go T14.

number1gun

Postby number1gun » Tue May 01, 2012 12:12 am

t-14 huh? Maybe I should let you talk to my friend who went to a lil' ole' top 14, graduated in the middle of the pack and could only get a job that he could have gotten had he gone to his local state school. Top-14 like it's some sort of panacea.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:32 am

number1gun wrote:t-14 huh? Maybe I should let you talk to my friend who went to a lil' ole' top 14, graduated in the middle of the pack and could only get a job that he could have gotten had he gone to his local state school. Top-14 like it's some sort of panacea.

I'm not sure I understand why you are here asking for advice, since you seem to have all the answers.

EDIT: Especially since one of your poll options is to retake and apply to T14 schools.

number1gun

Postby number1gun » Tue May 01, 2012 11:45 am

Touché

Return to “Choosing a Law School”