DePaul v. Kent (Chicago) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
flem

Diamond

Re: DePaul v. Kent (Chicago)

Post by flem » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:40 pm

romothesavior wrote: It boggles my mind that people are fully aware of the debt, the consequence of the debt, and the odds of getting a job that would allow you to effectively service the debt, and still go.
The assumption here is that all students are aware. They're not, unfortunately.

mrjohnsterman

Bronze

Post by mrjohnsterman » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:43 pm

I spoke with a 3L at DePaul this weekend, he said he didn't know a single person in his class who had a job lined up where it wasn't for a firm where their parents was a partner, this included people in top 10 (people not percent).

He also advised to attempt to negotiate stipulations off your scholarships, because he knew a lot of people who lost their scholarships after 1L.

This isn't to say Kent would be better/worse than DePaul (or that everything he said was even true) but I figure I would pass conversation along.

boredatwork

Bronze

Post by boredatwork » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:11 pm

romothesavior wrote:
boredatwork wrote:True, 10% is a little generous for Biglaw, but more like 25% for a job that can service your debt.
It boggles my mind that people are fully aware of the debt, the consequence of the debt, and the odds of getting a job that would allow you to effectively service the debt, and still go.
It is the only thing I have ever wanted to do with my life and some chance at sucess is better than not trying.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:52 pm

I am a LUC alum with basically your exact stats (Hell, I might even know you). Retake the LSAT. If you are sure you get URM status, a 3-4 point bump may give you a fullride to these schools. Chicago is the 3rd worst market in the nation right now and I wouldn't want to go to a schools that have close to 20 other schools (Entire T14, Vandy, ND, WUSTL, etc.) that outplace them unless I am getting very close to a fullride.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:53 pm

For the record, if you ignore all advice in this thread and decide to go anyway (which again, I heavily suggest not doing), then go to Kent.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bns_77

New

Post by bns_77 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:50 pm

Kent 2012 grad here...

I can't really speak for DePaul's IP program, but Kent has a pretty amazing IP certificate program and I know several people with jobs lined up in that area.

As was already mentioned, you won't have to go to the IIT main campus. The law school is in the downtown area. Even if you had to go to IIT's main campus, the "badness" of the area is a non-factor.

I know how this board rolls and you can't ask about a non-T14 without getting the typical gloom and doom responses, but I know numerous people graduating this year with BigLaw lined up. There are also those that *gasp* aren't gunning for BigLaw who do fine, especially in IP since that market centers around smaller boutiques and not huge firms.

If you're getting 60k from Kent, I'd do that.

wiscohopeful

Bronze

Post by wiscohopeful » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:04 am

bns_77 wrote:Kent 2012 grad here...

I can't really speak for DePaul's IP program, but Kent has a pretty amazing IP certificate program and I know several people with jobs lined up in that area.

As was already mentioned, you won't have to go to the IIT main campus. The law school is in the downtown area. Even if you had to go to IIT's main campus, the "badness" of the area is a non-factor.

I know how this board rolls and you can't ask about a non-T14 without getting the typical gloom and doom responses, but I know numerous people graduating this year with BigLaw lined up. There are also those that *gasp* aren't gunning for BigLaw who do fine, especially in IP since that market centers around smaller boutiques and not huge firms.

If you're getting 60k from Kent, I'd do that.
Transferred out of DePaul after 1L, just graduated from T14 here...

Kent places better than DePaul in anything law firm related but that's not necessarily saying much. I know of maybe 5 people (personally and from those still there) who have big law lined up. No one got a job through OCI and they landed them because of family connections or neighbor connections. Do you have those? As for Kent, I have friends there who would recommend you don't go but they must not be the "numerous" people with biglaw lined up. I wouldn't imagine that number is too large so if you want to bank on getting a great job you better kill it 1L year. I would only say that if you are going to take a risk like that, realize that like planning on transferring, almost everyone thinks theyll kill it 1L.

GO to kent if you must...retake if possible

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”