Urgent Help Requested - LSAT Retake?: Chicago / Stanford WL Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
darkgrayclouds

New

Urgent Help Requested - LSAT Retake?: Chicago / Stanford WL

Post by darkgrayclouds » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:06 pm

Yesterday I found out that I was waitlisted at Stanford. I applied in mid October. It was a long, frustrating wait. A couple of weeks ago, I sent in my seat deposit to Chicago. I was accepted to Chicago with a 45k scholarship. I am a Mexican URM. I took the LSAT one time, in June 2011, and scored a 163. My GPA is 3.9

Stanford is absolutely my dream school. I am from northern California, and my strong preference is stay in northern California so that I can be near my family (I was rejected at Berkeley, in case you were wondering). I am considering retaking the LSAT this June, with hopes that an improved score will get me off the Stanford waitlist. Last year, when preparing for the LSAT, I was routinely scoring 168-172 in practice tests. However, on the actual test, I bombed the logic game section and received a 163. I probably should have retaken in October 2011, but at the time, I was so burnt out from LSAT studying that I was content with taking my score and beginning my application cycle.

Here are the scenarios I can see unfolding if I retake the LSAT this June:

1. I improve my score significantly and get off the Stanford waitlist. This would be ideal.

2. I improve my score significantly, but don't get off the Stanford waitlist. If this happens, then I have a tough decision to make. Do I forfeit my seat deposit at Chicago and reapply next cycle? A good enough score may allow me to gain acceptance to Stanford next year, and possibly Yale or Harvard (schools I did not even apply to this cycle). Also, if I were to wait until next cycle, an improved score would hopefully net me better scholarship offers from schools like Chicago, UVA, and Michigan (none of which offered me more than 45k). I currently work at a software company, and I would not mind delaying my cycle a year under the right circumstances.

3. I bomb my LSAT and Chicago rescinds my acceptance. Is this even possible? I have no idea.

4. My LSAT score changes marginally, either for better or worse. I take my Chicago acceptance and prepare to move to the midwest.

So these are the scenarios I can foresee. What would you all recommend? I am definitely prepared to study my ass off for the next 40 days, if it is worth it to do so. I have the time necessary to devote myself to studying. And though I would be studying with practices tests that I have already completed, I have not looked at these tests at all in the past year. However, I must decide quickly. The deadline to register for the LSAT is May 8.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post. I am really just thinking out loud here, and I really appreciate your responses.

Nova

Platinum

Re: Urgent Help Requested - LSAT Retake?: Chicago / Stanford WL

Post by Nova » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:19 pm

You scored 5 points below your pt score band. You should retake. UChi wont rescind your offer if you bomb. If you score 167+, I would suggest sitting out a cycle since you already have a solid job. Good luck in June!

Greenandgold

Bronze

Post by Greenandgold » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:44 am

Nova wrote:You scored 5 points below your pt score band. You should retake. UChi wont rescind your offer if you bomb. If you score 167+, I would suggest sitting out a cycle since you already have a solid job. Good luck in June!
+1

Easy choice here really. Retake and then reevaluate your options.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:46 am

Assuming you retake, I would try to get in touch with Dean Deal ASAP to discuss your options for the future.

darkgrayclouds

New

Post by darkgrayclouds » Thu May 03, 2012 3:17 pm

Thank you to all who responded. At this point, I am pretty sure I will be retaking the LSAT in June. Is it necessary for me to notify Chicago about this? I'm trying to figure out how to do so without sounding like a jackass. Clearly I am retaking with the intention of getting off another school's wait list, so I don't exactly think they will be too keen on my plan.

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Thu May 03, 2012 3:21 pm

No need to tell Chicago you're retaking.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu May 03, 2012 5:07 pm

soj wrote:No need to tell Chicago you're retaking.

+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”