To defer Stanford to travel?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Geneva

To defer Stanford to travel?

Postby Geneva » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:29 pm

I've already been out of school for a few years, but have never had the opportunity to spend much time abroad. After taking Spanish for many years, I would really love to spend time in Latin America and become fluent in Spanish. My impression is that it would look really bad to take a Leave of Absence to travel, but that delaying law school for a year to do so would not be frowned upon. If anyone has done this/knows what the career consequences might be/has feedback, I would really appreciate it:) Thank you!

dingbat

Re: To defer Stanford to travel?

Postby dingbat » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:52 pm

Geneva wrote:I've already been out of school for a few years, but have never had the opportunity to spend much time abroad. After taking Spanish for many years, I would really love to spend time in Latin America and become fluent in Spanish. My impression is that it would look really bad to take a Leave of Absence to travel, but that delaying law school for a year to do so would not be frowned upon. If anyone has done this/knows what the career consequences might be/has feedback, I would really appreciate it:) Thank you!

Without discussing the merits, have you considered a semester abroad?

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:59 pm

I think the main issue is if Stanford will let you defer. Employers won't care if you took a year off to travel.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:41 pm

hawkeye22 wrote:I think the main issue is if Stanford will let you defer. Employers won't care if you took a year off to travel.

luckily stanford will:)

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:50 pm

Geneva wrote:
hawkeye22 wrote:I think the main issue is if Stanford will let you defer. Employers won't care if you took a year off to travel.

Then dude. Do it. You live once.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:52 pm

Br3v wrote:
Geneva wrote:

haha thanks. if i do so, i will be graduating at 30? so slightly concerned about the timing of it because i want to get married and have children. hm. would employers care if i took the year off to travel as a leave of absence from law school instead? or after law school?

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:57 pm

Geneva wrote:
Br3v wrote:
Geneva wrote:

haha thanks. if i do so, i will be graduating at 30? so slightly concerned about the timing of it because i want to get married and have children. hm. would employers care if i took the year off to travel as a leave of absence from law school instead? or after law school?

Hey man real quick talk guy to guy. Everyone else go away.

If you can go to STANFORD and can afford to spend a once in a lifetime opportunity abroad before you settle down w wife and kids, why would you not?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:02 pm

Br3v wrote:If you can go to STANFORD and can afford to spend a once in a lifetime opportunity abroad before you settle down w wife and kids, why would you not?

this is the best possible response

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:50 pm

Br3v wrote:Hey man real quick talk guy to guy. Everyone else go away.

If you can go to STANFORD and can afford to spend a once in a lifetime opportunity abroad before you settle down w wife and kids, why would you not?

Bro I think "Geneva" is a woman.

But I agree with you.

Also, don't take a leave of absence, that will raise employers' eyebrows. Do it now. Lots of people graduate at 30.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:54 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:

But I agree with you.

Also, don't take a leave of absence, that will raise employers' eyebrows. Do it now. Lots of people graduate at 30.

thanks, i am a woman. fwiw, part of my concern about timing is that i want to have time to launch my career before having a family.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:00 am

Geneva wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

But I agree with you.

thanks, i am a woman. fwiw, part of my concern about timing is that i want to have time to launch my career before having a family.

These days it's not uncommon for women to have their first child at 35
With modern medicine (and frozen eggs) you could even delay kids until you're in your sixties - at which point science fiction will allow your spouse to carry the baby and you won't even have to take a day off

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:01 am

Um, I already took one year off to live in Spain, and I'm deferring again next year. Why wouldn't you? As someone else in this thread already said, you only live once. Make it count.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:06 am

Real Madrid wrote:you only live once.

unless you're a Buddhist

JustE

Postby JustE » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:09 am

Br3v wrote:
Geneva wrote:

adam1

Postby adam1 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:11 am

JustE wrote:
Br3v wrote:
Geneva wrote:

DO THIS

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:14 am

But isn't Stanford Law closing down after this year's entering class graduates ? :wink:

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:52 am

Geneva, how would you feel about kids at 33-34? This would give you 3-4 years to establish your career. If you go the firm route, many people leave firms around that time anyway.

In any event, one year isn't going to make a big difference on the family front one way or the other, unless you have a very specific plan in mind.

rcthebigred1

Postby rcthebigred1 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:27 am

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I'm feeling lazy and don't want to search.

If you are given $ at a school, and they grant deferment, do you keep the scholarship? Is this mainly school dependent?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:32 am

Depends upon the school & the scholarship awarded as to whether or not deferring results in loss of scholarship.

adam1

Postby adam1 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:42 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Depends upon the school & the scholarship awarded as to whether or not deferring results in loss of scholarship.

Losing a scholarship would be unusual from my experience and my understanding of others' experiences. When I asked for a deferral (I did not take it), they said my need would be reevaluated but not merit. EDIT: they also reassured me that the need wouldn't go down... important detail.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:06 pm

Thank you all for the encouragement! I don't mind having kids later in life. However, I am strongly considering a joint degree program (PhD--so think 3 additional years minimum. If I go for the JD/PHD, I will not graduate until my mid 30s, which gives me little time to establish myself professionally before having kids. I am in no rush to have kids and would like to delay the process as long as possible, but don't want to sacrifice family for career or vice versa. Althernatively, I could try to work in travel during the PHD program, but that would be more difficult.

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:55 pm

dingbat wrote:
unless you're a Buddhist
or Hindu, I think

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Mon May 07, 2012 2:49 am

jim-green wrote:
dingbat wrote:
unless you're a Buddhist
or Hindu, I think

+1

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Mon May 07, 2012 3:04 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:In any event, one year isn't going to make a big difference on the family front one way or the other, unless you have a very specific plan in mind.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”