Georgia State or U of Florida

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mwilson37

Georgia State or U of Florida

Postby mwilson37 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:16 pm

I have a decision to make and not a whole lot of time to make it. I got into both Georgia State and University of Florida. They will be the same price for me. I don't prefer one place or the other as far as locations to practice. Anyone have any opinions good or bad about one or the other?

CanadianWolf

Re: Georgia State or U of Florida

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:20 pm

If undecided as to where you want to practice, then flip a coin. Urban Atlanta & collegetown Florida offer different environments & different employment opportunities with respect to location.

RodneyBoonfield

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:33 pm

uf

flem

Postby flem » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:13 am

I've got a buddy who is a 1L at GSU who really likes it. But he's top 10-15%. Looks a lot scarier at median or below.

What are your long term career goals?

Also I will say this: UF is really the number 1 school in Florida in terms of alumni network and lay prestige, even though FSU is basically a peer. GSU is third in the pecking order in Georgia behind Emory and UGA, but above Mercer. The good thing is, it's dirt cheap. ATL BigLaw isn't a realistic possibility for most at GSU, though.

mwilson37

Postby mwilson37 » Wed May 02, 2012 7:32 am

flem wrote:I've got a buddy who is a 1L at GSU who really likes it. But he's top 10-15%. Looks a lot scarier at median or below.

What are your long term career goals?

Also I will say this: UF is really the number 1 school in Florida in terms of alumni network and lay prestige, even though FSU is basically a peer. GSU is third in the pecking order in Georgia behind Emory and UGA, but above Mercer. The good thing is, it's dirt cheap. ATL BigLaw isn't a realistic possibility for most at GSU, though.

I would like to work in government but I wont say no to big law. Im pretty open. I'm leaning U of Florida.

flem

Postby flem » Wed May 02, 2012 8:36 am

mwilson37 wrote:
I would like to work in government but I wont say no to big law. Im pretty open. I'm leaning U of Florida.

If your COA is roughly equal I'd be leaning the same way

Indifferent

Postby Indifferent » Wed May 02, 2012 8:56 am

Both GA and FL are regional markets that prefer people with ties. Go to the school in the state you have ties to.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”