Why are "Harvard and Yale", but not "HYS"?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bdubs

Re: Why are "Harvard and Yale", but not "HYS"?

Postby bdubs » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:20 pm

Geneva wrote:
bdubs wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:The quote is also blatant BS, since Quinn hires well into top 1/3, and even some folks just above median at CCN.

This.

This is encouraging and scary at the same time. Scary because it is really hard to know how to separate fact from fiction in this profession. I would expect that at least law firms would be *somewhat* straightforward about the required credentials to work for them--if only to save their own time and money...

I get the impression that is what they are trying to do. If they say top 10%, then they get applications from the top 25%. If they said top 33%, and we mean it, they would still get applications from median students who are hoping to be the outlier who interviews above their GPA.

Also, many T14 schools don't actually rank. People in the 5-15% range don't really know that they are certainly in the top 10%. The curve shifts up and down somewhat from class to class (some professors give non-mandatory low grades) and the correlation between grades may vary by section (some profs use non-standard testing methods).

Re: Why are "Harvard and Yale", but not "HYS"?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:18 pm

Geneva wrote:
bdubs wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:The quote is also blatant BS, since Quinn hires well into top 1/3, and even some folks just above median at CCN.

This.

This is encouraging and scary at the same time. Scary because it is really hard to know how to separate fact from fiction in this profession. I would expect that at least law firms would be *somewhat* straightforward about the required credentials to work for them--if only to save their own time and money...

Guy who has never applied to a real job ever .

Return to “Choosing a Law School”