Asking for more money

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sportsstar1234

Asking for more money

Postby sportsstar1234 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:35 pm

Hello,

I have a question regarding asking a law shool and asking for additional money. Does anyone have any advice for doing so? Thank you.
Last edited by sportsstar1234 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dany

Re: Asking for more money

Postby Dany » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:37 pm

Do you have any other offers as leverage? Are you considering higher-ranked schools? Is retake/reapply an option (so that you can say if they bump your scholarship you can attend this year, but if not, you'll have to reapply)?

sportsstar1234

Postby sportsstar1234 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:38 pm

Just asking based on feasibly to be able to attend.
Last edited by sportsstar1234 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:39 pm

I mean, it can't hurt, but they have basically no reason to say yes. So try if you want, but don't expect anything.

sportsstar1234

Postby sportsstar1234 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:40 pm

Should I mention that I may not be able to attend otherwise?
Last edited by sportsstar1234 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:44 pm

Well I definitely wouldn't lie. But regarding "not being grateful" - that's just silly. $10k is basically nothing, and I'm sure your school is expensive (since most are). Law school is an expensive scam, and you need to do what you have to to get your cost of attendance lowered. The school will be fine - it's you who will be left with tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of dollars in debt. Don't worry about coming across as ungrateful - this is your life, and law schools don't deserve to be revered.

And, looking at your stats, you ABSOLUTELY need to retake. Wherever you're considering with a 154 LSAT that only gave you a $10k scholarship is a bad idea.

dowu

Postby dowu » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:47 pm

Dany wrote:Well I definitely wouldn't lie. But regarding "not being grateful" - that's just silly. $10k is basically nothing, and I'm sure your school is expensive (since most are). Law school is an expensive scam, and you need to do what you have to to get your cost of attendance lowered. The school will be fine - it's you who will be left with tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of dollars in debt. Don't worry about coming across as ungrateful - this is your life, and law schools don't deserve to be revered.

And, looking at your stats, you ABSOLUTELY need to retake. Wherever you're considering with a 154 LSAT that only gave you a $10k scholarship is a bad idea.

This is TCR. With your 3.8 GPA, I think you have the mental capacity to break 160, maybe even high 160s. Don't waste that GPA because you dont want to retake.

FUCKING RETAKE DUDE!

Mind you, giving this advice to you is not helpful to me, as you'll probably be my competition with a retake, but Im just doing my job.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:48 pm

Dany wrote:and law schools don't deserve to be revered..

THIS

adam1

Postby adam1 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:50 pm

sportsstar1234 wrote:Hello,

I have a question regarding asking a law shool to be considered for additional sholarship. I was admitted to a school with 10k, and I sent in my deposit. I have read that others who were admitted from the waitlist with slightly lower scores than myself were offered more money than I was. In addition, I know that the school still has funding available.

I don't want to come across in the wrong way by asking to be considered for more money. With this being said, I have financial concerns, and I'd like to be considered for more money. I am debating what approach to take. Should I say I am not sure if I will be able to attend (haven't given my second deposit)? Should I say I look forward to attending but I would appreciate it if I can be considered (and explain financial situation)? Should I be vague, and if so, what should I say? Thanks so much.

Ask for the cash. If they say no, ask again. There's always more money.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:21 pm

sportsstar1234 wrote:Hello,

I have a question regarding asking a law shool to be considered for additional sholarship. I was admitted to a school with 10k, and I sent in my deposit. I have read that others who were admitted from the waitlist with slightly lower scores than myself were offered more money than I was. In addition, I know that the school still has funding available.

I don't want to come across in the wrong way by asking to be considered for more money. With this being said, I have financial concerns, and I'd like to be considered for more money. I am debating what approach to take. Should I say I am not sure if I will be able to attend (haven't given my second deposit)? Should I say I look forward to attending but I would appreciate it if I can be considered (and explain financial situation)? Should I be vague, and if so, what should I say? Thanks so much.

Present them with other acceptances/offers and see how they respond. You're already in. You don't need to tip-toe through this.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:35 pm

emkay625 wrote:Present them with other acceptances/offers and see how they respond. You're already in. You don't need to tip-toe through this.

He doesn't have any leverage.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:48 pm

Dany wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Present them with other acceptances/offers and see how they respond. You're already in. You don't need to tip-toe through this.

Be purposefully vague.

"your school is my #1, but it's expensive, especially in light of other options I have, so is there anything you can do to sweeten the offer?"
(you're being honest, the option of not going to law school always exists)

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:00 pm

dingbat wrote:
Dany wrote:

Be purposefully vague.

"your school is my #1, but it's expensive, especially in light of other options I have, so is there anything you can do to sweeten the offer?"

I'm sure this will go over well when they ask what other offers are in play.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:12 pm

Dany wrote:
dingbat wrote:
Dany wrote:

Be purposefully vague.

I'm sure this will go over well when they ask what other offers are in play.

it worked for me. But then, I had the numbers to warrant the cash (above the 75th percentile)

edit: while it is bluffing, it's not lying. If they ask, just say you're thinking about maybe not going to law school (but do not withdraw). Worst they can do is say no.
Last edited by dingbat on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:19 pm

Dany wrote:

ah. Than Dany is right. You need to retake.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”