Need help- ASAP!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What school should I pick?

William Mitchell
71%
Hofstra
21%
Syracuse
7%

Total votes: 14

ashjones

Need help- ASAP!

Postby ashjones » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:51 pm

I am deciding between some schools right now and need help deciding. Once I give my options I am sure everyone will say, retake your LSAT and apply later...that suggestion will be ignored :) I am content with my options, and rankings are not as important to me as they are to the majority on this site. My parents are paying for my school and my living expenses, so I will not be acquiring any debt. Essentially, going to these schools is risk free. My options are William Mitchell, Hofstra, and Syracuse. I am also currently on the waitlist for the University of Minnesota, which is my dream school. If I were to go to William Mitchell I could wait out Minnesota until the end. I am from Minnesota, I would most likely want to practice law in Minnesota also. When I visited UMN they basically said I could transfer as 2L as long as I'm in the top 50% of my class. I know everyone says don't bet on transferring, however I want to go to UMN so bad. I would kind of like to move out of state for school and experience something new, but I am open to whatever. I want to make the best decision based on THESE options. Anyways, I would like some legit feedback and advice on my choices. All positive and helpful insight will be much appreciated!

rad lulz

Re: Need help- ASAP!

Postby rad lulz » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:59 pm

Enjoy Billy Mitchell, though I bet it takes way more than above median to transfer.

I'd retake though. Only 51.33% of 2010 grads got long-term non-business jobs (the best proxy we have for fulltime, bar passage required jobs). That's unbelievably crappy.

zozin

Postby zozin » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:00 pm

It's not risk-free, since your parents will be incurring the costs. So 3.5 years from now, not only did they pay for your school, but they'll have to take you back into their home because you might not be able to get a job from those schools.

TLS doesn't have a rankings fetish, they have a job fetish. It just so happens there's a correlation between those two.

And as far as transferring, even if they honor the transfer with you being top 50%, that's still coin flip from not being to transfer... Are you willing to GRADUATE from those schools?

zozin

Postby zozin » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:03 pm

Dude, I just read through your history and you have a 3.7 GPA and a 153... If you study a little more you can save your parents thousands of dollars and STILL get into Minn if not a better school... Why is retaking off the table?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:04 pm

zozin wrote:Dude, I just read through your history and you have a 3.7 GPA and a 153... If you study a little more you can save your parents thousands of dollars and STILL get into Minn if not a better school... Why is retaking off the table?

Because he is not an elitist like we are, obviously.

ashjones

Postby ashjones » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:10 pm

I did study, a lot. I had a tutor, took a class and I spent hours a week studying. My PT's were way higher, and I guess I just suck under pressure. I took it December, which lead to me applying late and that hurt my cycle also. I was thinking of retaking in June to help me get off the UMN waitlist, would that be helpful? I have no interest in waiting another year and reapplying. I graduated last August and have already waited a full year to go, I do not want to wait another. Plus, I ran that idea by my parents and they weren't too thrilled. They like my options, and we have a lot of legal connections...they're not concerned about me not having job prospects.

zozin

Postby zozin » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:15 pm

Where were you PTing? Do you parents know the options, William Mitchell @ sticker versus UMN or better with a scholarship if you took another year?

Yea I would retake in June, even though it doesn't give you that much time to prep.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:15 pm

ashjones wrote:My PT's were way higher, and I guess I just suck under pressure.

Well that sucks becuase one law school exam at the end of the year which decides basically your entire grade in that class is a high-pressure situation.

ashjones

Postby ashjones » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:21 pm

Averaging around 163, I know that's not great-but it's significantly better than what I ended up getting. I read them everything/informed them and also conveyed what people say on here because it's super discouraging. They don't care, I suppose I am in a bit of a unique situation that most on here would not understand that leaves me not as concerned as others about job prospects.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:26 pm

ashjones wrote:Averaging around 163, I know that's not great-but it's significantly better than what I ended up getting. I read them everything/informed them and also conveyed what people say on here because it's super discouraging. They don't care, I suppose I am in a bit of a unique situation that most on here would not understand that leaves me not as concerned as others about job prospects.

If you have a GUARANTEED job, then okay, but don't let your parents overestimate the strength of their connections. As someone's who's very, very well connected, a connection that can actually get you a full-time job with just a word or a call is really a rarity.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:29 pm

ashjones wrote: I am from Minnesota, I would most likely want to practice law in Minnesota also. When I visited UMN they basically said I could transfer as 2L as long as I'm in the top 50% of my class. I know everyone says don't bet on transferring, however I want to go to UMN so bad.

I dont believe this.

You need to retake the LSAT. Obviously.
Last edited by Nova on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geat27

Postby Geat27 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:31 pm

Don't underestimate the power of going to law school in the state where you want to practice (or the city where you want to practice).

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:33 pm

William mitchell estimates $55,000 COA per year. It's probably more than that.
--LinkRemoved--
Why would you do that to your poor(rich?) parents?

from the looks of http://williammitchell.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants , if you hit a 160 you would get a damn good price at that school.

ashjones

Postby ashjones » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:35 pm

I understand the rarity. However, I do have options already that can help me prepare for when my parents open a firm for me. This thread is turning into exactly what I did not want it to be. I don't want criticism for not retaking, or judgment based on my choices. I just wanted opinions on where I should go based on my current options. I feel like I have yet to get any insight on which school I should go to. So now that y'all see where I am coming from help would be very much appreciated! :)

I already have a nice scholarship at William Mitchell, which does not leave me paying too much out of pocket. The cost of William Mitchell would be far less than that at Hofstra or Syracuse. Their prices are way higher, I'm still waiting to hear on scholarships, and I would need to relocate to New York.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:37 pm

Geat27 wrote:Don't underestimate the power of going to law school in the state where you want to practice (or the city where you want to practice).

True. WM is the clear choice since OP wants Minn.

Mr. Pancakes wrote:William mitchell estimates $55,000 COA per year. It's probably more than that.
--LinkRemoved--
Why would you do that to your poor(rich?) parents?

from the looks of http://williammitchell.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants , if you hit a 160 you would get a damn good price at that school.

Right. Tens of thousands of dollars are on the line. OP scored in the 160s on PTs and only scored 153 on the real deal. Not retaking is practically irresponsible.

ashjones wrote: This thread is turning into exactly what I did not want it to be. I don't want criticism for not retaking, or judgment based on my choices. I just wanted opinions on where I should go based on my current options. I feel like I have yet to get any insight on which school I should go to. So now that y'all see where I am coming from help would be very much appreciated! :)

I already have a nice scholarship at William Mitchell, which does not leave me paying too much out of pocket. The cost of William Mitchell would be far less than that at Hofstra or Syracuse. Their prices are way higher, I'm still waiting to hear on scholarships, and I would need to relocate to New York.

WM.
Last edited by Nova on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zozin

Postby zozin » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:38 pm

The answer is WM since it's in-state so it has some rep. But it's still a wrong answer for reasons mentioned by me and others... Don't go out of state for a 3rd Tier school.

ashjones

Postby ashjones » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:41 pm

Nova wrote:
ashjones wrote: I am from Minnesota, I would most likely want to practice law in Minnesota also. When I visited UMN they basically said I could transfer as 2L as long as I'm in the top 50% of my class. I know everyone says don't bet on transferring, however I want to go to UMN so bad.

I dont believe this.

I am already on the waitlist, what makes that unbelievable? If I had no chance they would just deny me.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:44 pm

ashjones wrote:
Nova wrote:

I dont believe this.

I am already on the waitlist, what makes that unbelievable? If I had no chance they would just deny me.

Because what you are saying goes against basically years of accumulated wisdom and data on transferring.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:47 pm

OP,
What is your estimated cost of attendance per year for each school? Have you calculated this yet?
Last edited by Mr. Pancakes on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:47 pm

Okay, you sound both entitled and lack real motivation to overcome obstacles (such as your LSAT jitters). This is a problem, and something you will hopefully overcome now instead of later when it matters 100x more...

Do the responsible thing for your parents (and for your future career) and get a higher LSAT. Just because you have the privilege of having supportive and rich parents doesn't mean its the moral thing to do to throw away their money just because you don't feel like trying harder. I took it three times and sucked up the additional two off years because I do not have a parental hand out. It's one thing to make this decision in ignorance, but being fully aware and still making it strikes me as very Generation-Me entitled.

And as far as transfering goes... usually being top 50% will barely make you competitive for a peer-to-peer transfer. In fact, I'd say you'd probably not be able to, and I say this having been on the Transfer listserves for over 2 years. Usually top third is the safe bet for even laterals between peers. Transfering up? Better be top 25%, or even top 10%.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:51 pm

ashjones wrote:
Nova wrote:

I dont believe this.

Although it is true that transfer students do not affect GPA/LSAT medians (which is in your favor), your numbers are still below both. Your numbers do not qualify you. Your LSAT is 14 points below the median...

Finishing top 50% at WM just isnt enough.

Why wont you just retake the LSAT???

zozin wrote:Yea I would retake in June, even though it doesn't give you that much time to prep.

ETA: Also,

ashjones wrote: Iowa is my top school, but I thought I would be rejected due to my low LSAT.

ashjones wrote: I am also currently on the waitlist for the University of Minnesota, which is my dream school.

:| Retake.
Last edited by Nova on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:21 am

Do not go to any of those law schools. It's just. not. worth it.

ashjones

Postby ashjones » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:34 am

In regards to me being entitled and all of the other sweet things you had to say about me, that is so far from the truth. I don't appreciate being judged by strangers when all I am asking is which school is the best choice. I can retake in June and try to get bigger scholarships or off waitlists, however waiting another year is not an option. I have essentially already taken a full year off, and my parents who are footing the bill will not allow me to wait another year. It does not matter that I could potentially save them money, I have suggested waiting to reapply next cycle and it is NOT an option. They are paying for my education therefore they get the final say. I don't understand the people here. Those who have given real advise, thank you. However, those of you who come on here and attack me and say rude things, get a life. I am well aware of what retaking could bring in the future, and so are my parents. I don't have time, it is not an option, and I have no interest in reading negative things about me from complete rando's who don't know me.

Also, not sure why it's hard to believe that I can transfer to UMN. They told me that is a definite option when I visited, I find it hard to believe they would lie to me about that.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:38 am

If you don't want to be judged don't ask us to do so. If you already have your mind made up then why are you asking for our advice?
What did you expect?
I doubt your parents would say "you must go now or we won't pay next year for less money" . That makes no sense.

What is the COA if you were to go now? Do you even care?

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:39 am

ashjones wrote:In regards to me being entitled and all of the other sweet things you had to say about me, that is so far from the truth. I don't appreciate being judged by strangers when all I am asking is which school is the best choice. I can retake in June and try to get bigger scholarships or off waitlists, however waiting another year is not an option. I have essentially already taken a full year off, and my parents who are footing the bill will not allow me to wait another year. It does not matter that I could potentially save them money, I have suggested waiting to reapply next cycle and it is NOT an option. They are paying for my education therefore they get the final say. I don't understand the people here. Those who have given real advise, thank you. However, those of you who come on here and attack me and say rude things, get a life. I am well aware of what retaking could bring in the future, and so are my parents. I don't have time, it is not an option, and I have no interest in reading negative things about me from complete rando's who don't know me.

Also, not sure why it's hard to believe that I can transfer to UMN. They told me that is a definite option when I visited, I find it hard to believe they would lie to me about that.

Don't take it all so personally. People here are cynical, and in most cases rightly so. Most of the time when people come in asking for 'X,Y,Z school no retaking' it ends up that retaking really is their best option (which it most cases it would be for you too).

But, fine, you can't retake. Go to WM. Get your parents' job. Done.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”