Indiana Bloomington or Alabama (both full scholarships) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
crithyis

New

Indiana Bloomington or Alabama (both full scholarships)

Post by crithyis » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:53 pm

I'm from the Midwest, went to Iowa, thinking of potentially wanting to be in the south in my career but honestly not sure. Have lived in Florida when I was younger for a few years though.

165/3.85

Just visited both ui and bama and both were identically attractive in their own ways. Need some outside advice!!!
Last edited by crithyis on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dowu

Platinum

Re: Indiana Bloomington or Alabama (both full tuition)

Post by dowu » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:56 pm

Retake the LSAT. Wait until next cycle. Profit.

You should be considering those schools at a full scholly, not full tuition.

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:57 pm

Both are regional schools. If you attend one of those schools, you will end up working in that state. Would you rather work in Indiana or Alabama?

If you're indifferent, then go to the place where people are more likely to know why you're there and accept you as one of their own. If you're from the midwest, firms will understand why you want to be there. On the other hand, Birmingham firms might be a bit skeptical about this Yankee kid coming down south unless you have a convincing story.

crithyis

New

Post by crithyis » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:58 pm

Boy I'm sorry! I just looked at your reply and about shat myself lol at the thought of a retake.. I meant full tuition scholarships at both.

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:59 pm

Also went to Iowa and going to IU-B next year. With full tuition, I vote IU (a little biased, but hey). It's a great school and has a great alumni base, great profs, etc. It's really dependent on where you want to practice.

If you decide you're set on practicing in the South then Bama is the obvious choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: Indiana Bloomington or Alabama (both full scholarships)

Post by rad lulz » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:02 pm

Don't go to Bama if you're not a Southerner, or better, from Alabama. Enjoy IUB.

crithyis

New

Post by crithyis » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:05 pm

Elaborating a little more would be helpful, lol.

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:14 pm

rad lulz wrote:Don't go to Bama if you're not a Southerner, or better, from Alabama. Enjoy IUB.
I think he's trying to say that Alabama is an insular environment and ties are important. Indiana/Chicago is not as much so. He's trying to imply that you'll have a hard time getting a job in Alabama/the South without definite ties.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:20 pm

crithyis wrote:Boy I'm sorry! I just looked at your reply and about shat myself lol at the thought of a retake.. I meant full tuition scholarships at both.
Okay, that sounds a little better.

You should then heed this advice:
rad lulz wrote:Don't go to Bama if you're not a Southerner, or better, from Alabama. Enjoy IUB.
IUB is your best bet, because you don't want to lock yourself indefinitely into one market, which will almost certainly be the case if you attend Bama, as it's market is pretty insular.

Good luck in your final decision!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Geon

Bronze

Post by Geon » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:33 pm

iowalum wrote:
I think he's trying to say that Alabama is an insular environment and ties are important. Indiana/Chicago is not as much so. He's trying to imply that you'll have a hard time getting a job in Alabama/the South without definite ties.
Yes this is the understatement of the century, we all know how Alabamians all marry their cousins like in shelbyville after all

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:15 am

Indiana is the only one that makes any sense at all (not terrible at that price), but their job placement is closer to a T2 than to their T20 peers. I'd be hesitant.

No sense going to Alabama without ties. By all accounts it is very insular. Your Iowa background should be sufficient to getting a job in Indiana.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:25 am

nmop_apisdn wrote:
crithyis wrote:Boy I'm sorry! I just looked at your reply and about shat myself lol at the thought of a retake.. I meant full tuition scholarships at both.
Okay, that sounds a little better.
More like the difference between night and day.

OP, I vote Indiana.

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:32 am

Geon wrote:
iowalum wrote:
Yes this is the understatement of the century, we all know how Alabamians all marry their cousins like in shelbyville after all
As someone from Alabama, I find you to be both incredibly stupid and hopelessly ignorant. Why don't you go back to the main board and defend why you should be accepted to a T14 despite your 160 practice LSAT and horrible GPA?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:21 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
Geon wrote:
iowalum wrote:
As someone from Alabama, I find you to be both incredibly stupid and hopelessly ignorant. Why don't you go back to the main board and defend why you should be accepted to a T14 despite your 160 practice LSAT and horrible GPA?
Please don't feed the trolls...

Geon

Bronze

Post by Geon » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:13 pm

Real Madrid wrote:
Geon wrote:
iowalum wrote:
1. It was sarcasm, America needs a sense of humour.
2. It was not me, I haven`t even wrote the LSAT yet.

JamesChapman23

Bronze

Post by JamesChapman23 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:09 pm

Just don't expect big law. IUB's employment numbers are pathetic, almost Tier 2 or Tier 3 level of despair.

The vast majority of 3Ls have nothing lined up.

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:22 pm

Reiteration: don't go to Bama without ties, you will be super screwed. You won't get jobs in AL and when you try to get back to the Midwest, everyone there will be skeptical of your staying power since you chose to go to school in the South.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crithyis

New

Post by crithyis » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:42 pm

James... Can you elaborate please? For the record I would prefer to work in private firm that is small to medium sized not big law. Where is your experience of iub employment data coming from ? All this is very helpful !

JamesChapman23

Bronze

Post by JamesChapman23 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:52 pm

:roll:
Last edited by JamesChapman23 on Tue May 08, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:00 pm

OP: Any other options ? Seems as if you applied to law schools based simply on your numbers & without long-term goals in mind.

The Rover

New

Post by The Rover » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:41 am

JamesChapman23 wrote:My data comes first-hand. About 30 percent of the 3L class has anything lined up (includes garbage law, alt careers, and decent positions). The 2L OCI had like 4-5 people get NLJ250. MAYBE 10 percent of the class total got something through OCI (includes government, PI, small, mid and big law).
You are a current 3L at IU?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:14 pm

JamesChapman23 wrote:My data comes first-hand. About 30 percent of the 3L class has anything lined up (includes garbage law, alt careers, and decent positions). The 2L OCI had like 4-5 people get NLJ250. MAYBE 10 percent of the class total got something through OCI (includes government, PI, small, mid and big law).
Unfortunately, this is consistent with IU-B's most recent job data numbers (the c/o 2010 data). IU-B really is a T2 in T30 clothing when it comes to job placement, and I don't mean that to be insulting. I know a few people there and it seems like a fine school, but it is a "trap school." I'm glad JamesChapman is telling it like it is. As with any T30ish school, be very wary.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”