Final decision - the more opinions the better Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
swishin and dishin

New

Final decision - the more opinions the better

Post by swishin and dishin » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:22 am

Thanks for all of the help in the past, and I feel confident I am down to the right two at this point. My final decision will be between Fordham w 30k and brooklyn w full and 5k each year. I'm sure it is easy to tell I want to practice in the NYC market, and at this point money and job stability are the two main factors driving my decision.
At this point I am leaning towards Fordham but I want to be sure that a 60k investment over Brooklyn is worth it.
Thanks so much everyone!

dingbat

Gold

Re: Final decision - the more opinions the better

Post by dingbat » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:53 am

swishin and dishin wrote:Thanks for all of the help in the past, and I feel confident I am down to the right two at this point. My final decision will be between Fordham w 30k and brooklyn w full and 5k each year. I'm sure it is easy to tell I want to practice in the NYC market, and at this point money and job stability are the two main factors driving my decision.
At this point I am leaning towards Fordham but I want to be sure that a 60k investment over Brooklyn is worth it.
Thanks so much everyone!
Do you mean $30k per year or $30k total?
If you're getting $30k per year, go to Fordham; if $30k total go to Brooklyn

That is general advice; your personal circumstances might warrant a different response

swishin and dishin

New

Post by swishin and dishin » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:02 am

90k total, 30k each year at Fordham

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:05 am

That's what I thought.
Go to Fordham, unless your long term goals require minimal debt (eg PI - and even that could be covered by LRAP)

Tadatsune

Bronze

Post by Tadatsune » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:10 am

swishin and dishin wrote:90k total, 30k each year at Fordham
Fordham is the easy choice here. Have fun.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

swishin and dishin

New

Post by swishin and dishin » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:57 pm

I'm just wondering why the quick answer is Fordham. Is the money difference not so significant or is the gap between the schools larger than I thought? Is the feeling that job prospects will be terribly different?
I really appreciate the advice

Would Brooklyn w a 10k stipend change anything, or no matter the money is it definitely Fordham.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:30 pm

swishin and dishin wrote:I'm just wondering why the quick answer is Fordham. Is the money difference not so significant or is the gap between the schools larger than I thought? Is the feeling that job prospects will be terribly different?

Would Brooklyn w a 10k stipend change anything, or no matter the money is it definitely Fordham.
Fordham is definitely a better school and at $30k per year is a very good offer.

Here's some comparisons, based on 2010 employment data (and assuming graduates who don't report are unemployed)

................................................................Brooklyn.............Fordham
Working for law firms of 50+ attorneys:................17.9%................35.6%
Judicial Clerkship...........................................6.8%.................12.4%
Public Interest...............................................6.2%.................12.7%
Unemployed or unreported...............................14.5%..................7.8%

So at Fordham you're nearly doubling your chances of working for a law firm, doing PI, or clerking, the three most desirable outcomes for a law degree, while halving your chances of being unemployed.

Note: this is an incomplete picture of employment prospects. However, these are the best metrics to use.

For a different perspective, the NLJ250 lists give the following:

.....................Brooklyn...............Fordham
2012..............6.59%..................19.58%
2011..............N/A (<10.57%)........25.68%
2010..............N/A (<13.2%)..........29.4%
This trend continues:
2006..............10%......................34% (oldest I found, but I stopped looking)

Now tell me what price difference you think would make Brooklyn more attractive than Fordham.
Last edited by dingbat on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 6 times in total.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:31 pm

I would pick Fordham.

Geon

Bronze

Post by Geon » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:43 pm

dingbat wrote:
swishin and dishin wrote:I'm just wondering why the quick answer is Fordham. Is the money difference not so significant or is the gap between the schools larger than I thought? Is the feeling that job prospects will be terribly different?

Fordham is definitely a better school and at $30k per year is a very good offer.

Here's some comparisons, based on 2010 employment data (and assuming graduates who don't report are unemployed)

................................................................Brooklyn.............Fordham
Working for law firms of 50+ attorneys:................17.9%................35.6%
Judicial Clerkship...........................................6.8%.................12.4%
Public Interest...............................................6.2%.................12.7%
Unemployed or unreported...............................14.5%..................7.8%

So at Fordham you're nearly doubling your chances of working for a law firm, doing PI, or clerking, the three most desirable outcomes for a law degree, while halving your chances of being unemployed.

Note: this is an incomplete picture of employment prospects. However, these are the best metrics to use.

For a different perspective, the NLJ250 lists give the following:

.....................Brooklyn...............Fordham
2012..............6.59%..................19.58%
2011..............N/A (<10.57%)........25.68%
2010..............N/A (<13.2%)..........29.4%
This trend continues:
2006..............10%......................34% (oldest I found, but I stopped looking)

Now tell me what price difference you think would make Brooklyn more attractive than Fordham.
Ding bat ain't no ding bat

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:12 pm

Geon wrote:Ding bat ain't no ding bat
I resent that

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:35 pm

Fordham here.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:47 am

emkay625 wrote:I would pick Fordham.
+1

Geon

Bronze

Post by Geon » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:17 pm

dingbat wrote:
I resent that
I meant to say your smart :o

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:16 pm

Geon wrote:
dingbat wrote:
I resent that
I meant to say your smart :o
Well then, thank you very much. (I think)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”