"I'm going to Hofstra then I'll transfer for 2L"

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Am I a bad person?

Yes, you're a shitty person.
47%
No, let her do her own research.
53%

Total votes: 66

Lawlexrotica69

"I'm going to Hofstra then I'll transfer for 2L"

Postby Lawlexrotica69 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:58 pm

An acquaintance just said this to me. I simply wished her the best.

Does this make me a bad person? I mean, I shouldn't have to spoon-feed her, right?

Nova

Re: "I'm going to Hofstra then I'll transfer for 2L"

Postby Nova » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:32 pm

I voted that you are a shitty person. If she is truely your friend, tell her whats up.

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:52 pm

Nova wrote:I voted that you are a shitty person. If she is truely your friend, tell her whats up.

Eh, he called her an "acquaintance". I would've said something along the lines of "you probably won't", but I don't think OP's quality as a person would be lessened for letting a rando delude herself.

If she was a friend, I definitely think encouraging her to reconsider that notion would be the right thing to do.

phillipjg

Postby phillipjg » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:55 pm

Don't throw your pearls before swine.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:46 pm

I don't believe life is a zero sum game, where for me to succeed someone else needs to fail.
But, I realize that less competition does make it easier for me to succeed. I won't screw someone over, but if they're willing to take themselves out of the game, I say let them.
There's no need to shit on their dreams and they're unlikely to believe you anyway.

Note that if you said friend, my answer would be different. I help my friends

Antilles Haven

Postby Antilles Haven » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:49 pm

Nobody said the acquaintance was trying to transfer up. Could be a solid plan.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:50 pm

You're an objectively shitty person for making this thread.

RoseMVP

Postby RoseMVP » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:02 pm

Is there something specifically difficult about transferring out of hofstra or are we talking about transferring being difficult in general? I'm curious b/c I have a good friend who will be attending hofstra in the fall and said the same exact thing. PM me--I don't check these threads too often.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:05 pm

RoseMVP wrote:Is there something specifically difficult about transferring out of hofstra or are we talking about transferring being difficult in general? I'm curious b/c I have a good friend who will be attending hofstra in the fall and said the same exact thing. PM me--I don't check these threads too often.

Both. It's hard to transfer generally and it's much harder from Hofstra. Basically top 5-10% to transfer anywhere decent (there really isn't any point to transferring from Hofstra to say, Dozo or Brooklyn so you are really aiming for Fordham at the least). And the fact that this statement is a well-worn cliche means that there is going to be a lot of competition for that 5-10%.

wiscohopeful

Postby wiscohopeful » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:10 pm

From someone who transferred from a school currently tied with Hofstra in USNWR into a t14, I sincerely wish I at least had been told how hard it is to transfer out, do well 1L, etc. Obviously in hindsight I would still make the decision and I feel fortunate to have succeeded in my plans to go to a TTT and transfer up, but I would have liked to have known how very unlikely the plan was to succeed. You're not an a-hole just because she is an acquaintance. If she were a good friend I would expect you to explain how poor a decision that can be.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:09 am

bigeast03 wrote:
Nova wrote:I voted that you are a shitty person. If she is truely your friend, tell her whats up.

Eh, he called her an "acquaintance". I would've said something along the lines of "you probably won't", but I don't think OP's quality as a person would be lessened for letting a rando delude herself.

If she was a friend, I definitely think encouraging her to reconsider that notion would be the right thing to do.

Good point. I RC failed. And after further review, I also spelt truly wrong lol.

OP, this is too small of a sample size to know if you are really a shitty person or not.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:13 am

I think you should just give her the tls url.

boredatwork

Postby boredatwork » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:20 am

I don't think you are a bad person. 90 percent chance she wouldn't have listened. I begged an acquaintance of mine not to go to law school with her numbers, literally showed her the ABA job placement statistics for her school of choice and still she would not listen. I think you are alright, if you told me not to go to LUC I wouldn't listen to you.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”