Hastings,Davis,LMU(sticker) vs LaVerne,Western,Whittier $$$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
simplyxeva

Hastings,Davis,LMU(sticker) vs LaVerne,Western,Whittier $$$$

Postby simplyxeva » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:12 pm

Hey all,

I want your frank advice on whether I should go to UC Hastings, UC Davis, Loyola LA, or even Southwestern's Scale program for the full sticker price vs going to La Verne, Western, or Whittier on a full scholarship?

I know you all will talk about job prospects for all of them, but I plan on being opening my own business practice and would like to avoid as much debt as possible. The question is though, is the big name worth the price in the end?

Thanks!

Systematic1

Re: Hastings,Davis,LMU(sticker) vs LaVerne,Western,Whittier $$$$

Postby Systematic1 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:14 pm

simplyxeva wrote:The question is though, is the big name worth the price in the end?

What big name?

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:16 pm

I'm assuming all full rides have large stipulations. If you like to gamble, then go all in on the full ride, but don't do so unless you're also willing to pay two years of sticker at the lowers.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:23 pm

simplyxeva wrote:I know you all will talk about job prospects for all of them, but I plan on being opening my own business practice and would like to avoid as much debt as possible. The question is though, is the big name worth the price in the end?

Thanks!

It is damn near impossible to go solo straight out of law school. Law school simply does not teach the skill set to do so. You will need to be employed by someone else at first and Hastings and Davis put you in the best position to do so. They are not worth 200k+ debt though.

What is your GPA/LSAT? would you consider retaking? Where in Cali would you prefer to practice?

simplyxeva

Postby simplyxeva » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:29 pm

I have considered retaking, since my score of 156 can be improved upon. My gpa is a 3.93. However, my parents are pressuring me to go to law school right away, and retaking the lsat is quite daunting when there is always the chance they I may not be able to improve my score by much if at all.

I want to stay in southern California, but I am very hesitant about taking on a 200k+ debt...

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:36 pm

simplyxeva wrote:I have considered retaking, since my score of 156 can be improved upon. My gpa is a 3.93. However, my parents are pressuring me to go to law school right away, and retaking the lsat is quite daunting when there is always the chance they I may not be able to improve my score by much if at all.

I want to stay in southern California, but I am very hesitant about taking on a 200k+ debt...

OK. This is a no brainer. RETAKE THE LSAT. Most people on this site would kill for that GPA. Do not waste it on a 156.

Your parents are not seeing the big picture. It is your job to explain to them the benifits of sitting out a year and retaking.

Studying for the LSAT is a lot less daunting than incurring 200k debt and praying for legal employment.

ConfidenceMan2

Postby ConfidenceMan2 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:37 pm

simplyxeva wrote:I have considered retaking, since my score of 156 can be improved upon. My gpa is a 3.93. However, my parents are pressuring me to go to law school right away, and retaking the lsat is quite daunting when there is always the chance they I may not be able to improve my score by much if at all.

If you've only taken once and you have a LSDAS GPA of 3.93, you have a moral obligation to retake. You could be looking at UCLA/USC with big money or UC-Berk and even possibly a shot at Stanford.

Kindly tell your parents that your future is very likely impacted in a tremendously negative way by not retaking.

Tadatsune

Postby Tadatsune » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:33 pm

Explain to them that retaking could mean hundreds of thousands less debt and/or significantly improved job prospects.

karanach

Postby karanach » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:26 pm

I agree; pay for one of the stupid classes if you have to in order to force yourself to study, but hit the books a month before the October test, get a 160+ and go to a great program.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:13 am

My god; you have a 3.93 and you were considering settling for a 156? Actually study this time, retake, get a 174+ and enjoy HYS.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:17 am

don't waste that GPA

RETAKE

princeR

Postby princeR » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:00 pm

And TLS saves another lost soul.

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:41 pm

Do you have access to money/financing that would make retaking viable?

If not, go to Hastings/Davis.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:06 pm

Definitely retake. Even a 165 could get you UVA with an ED with that gpa.

If you did have to go (there is NO way that you should so I'm not sure why I am saying this) then go with the full ride because no job with no debt is better than being underemployed with tons of debt.

But please please retake.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:35 am

jfc, retake. You're a college grad now and this is a huge investment. Your parents are well-meaning but horribly misinformed. Don't make a poor financial choice when your fortunes could shift dramatically with a few months of work.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:44 am

apollo2015 wrote:Do you have access to money/financing that would make retaking viable?

If not, go to Hastings/Davis.

Your suggestion for someone who doesn't have money to pay for a retake is that they go into $200,000+ debt for schools with mediocre job prospects?

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:07 am

bk1 wrote:
Your suggestion for someone who doesn't have money to pay for a retake is that they go into $200,000+ debt for schools with mediocre job prospects?

Their job prospects are fine in the long term. And yes, it is certainly ironic that for some people it is easier to obtain loans for law school than it is to obtain loans for applying to law school.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:22 am

apollo2015 wrote:Their job prospects are fine in the long term. And yes, it is certainly ironic that for some people it is easier to obtain loans for law school than it is to obtain loans for applying to law school.

Significant portions of the class at schools like Davis and Hastings don't get full time legal jobs. I don't see how that is "fine in the long term." If someone can't get a job and/or fee waivers now to pay for law school apps I'm not convinced that kind of person can go to law school and avoid struggling to land a full time legal job future.

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:14 am

To add onto what everyone else is saying; RETAKE RETAKE RETAKE! That's a Yale GPA there and wasting it would be a crime. :D

nelaw2010

Postby nelaw2010 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:23 am

You 100% have to retake.

I don't know the specifics of your situation, and I don't care.

RETAKE, RETAKE, RETAKE.

If your parents don't understand, have them call me and I'll set them straight.

blurose

Postby blurose » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:23 am

Last edited by blurose on Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

blurose

Postby blurose » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:25 am

nelaw2010 wrote:
If your parents don't understand, have them call me and I'll set them straight.

+1

jackieburden

Postby jackieburden » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:53 am

Nova wrote:

OK. This is a no brainer. RETAKE THE LSAT. Most people on this site would kill for that GPA. Do not waste it on a 156.

Your parents are not seeing the big picture. It is your job to explain to them the benifits of sitting out a year and retaking.

Studying for the LSAT is a lot less daunting than incurring 200k debt and praying for legal employment.

This.

Also, I wouldn't give my parents that much leverage unless they were actually PAYING for school.

Without that incentive, you just just be straight with them and do better on the lsat.

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:45 pm

bk1 wrote:Significant portions of the class at schools like Davis and Hastings don't get full time legal jobs. I don't see how that is "fine in the long term."

You have data showing their employment statuses 5 to 25 years out? We are probably thinking of different time horizons by "long term".

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:48 pm

apollo2015 wrote:
bk1 wrote:Significant portions of the class at schools like Davis and Hastings don't get full time legal jobs. I don't see how that is "fine in the long term."

You have data showing their employment statuses 5 to 25 years out? We are probably thinking of different time horizons by "long term".
Unfortunately, if you don't get that first lawyering job, chances are you never get a lawyering job. You might eventually build a successful and satisfying career running a bakery or inventing a better mousetrap, but you likely won't ever be a lawyer.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”