Gloom, Despair, and Agony On Me! Help Me Avoid It!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TheJanitor

Re: Gloom, Despair, and Agony On Me! Help Me Avoid It!

Postby TheJanitor » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:39 pm

Is it worth the $ to enroll in Kaplan's Advanced On-Site LSAT $2,500+ or would it be a waste? $2500+ is not much when you consider getting into a T6 and getting a job making 100K+

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:46 pm

TheJanitor wrote:Is it worth the $ to enroll in Kaplan's Advanced On-Site LSAT $2,500+ or would it be a waste? $2500+ is not much when you consider getting into a T6 and getting a job making 100K+

I think itd be a waste for you if you already are pulling 169-173 on your own. And most people say Kaplan is one of the worst test prep companies anyway. I'd consider just studying more on your own and using books to help you prep. It seems like you already get the exam and are now seeking to just fine tune.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:48 pm

TheJanitor wrote:Is it worth the $ to enroll in Kaplan's Advanced On-Site LSAT $2,500+ or would it be a waste? $2500+ is not much when you consider getting into a T6 and getting a job making 100K+

Go with Testmasters or Blueprint for half that price.

TheJanitor

Postby TheJanitor » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:52 pm

woeisme wrote:

I think itd be a waste for you if you already are pulling 169-173 on your own. And most people say Kaplan is one of the worst test prep companies anyway. I'd consider just studying more on your own and using books to help you prep. It seems like you already get the exam and are now seeking to just fine tune.

Yea, that's what I was thinking as well. If I could just figure out how to gain 1-2 more minutes on the LR and RC sections I would be fine. The AR section is not a challenge for me I scored 24/24.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:55 pm

PowerScore Bibles for $200 >>> Kaplan anything.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:17 pm

TheJanitor wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
TheJanitor wrote:My cousin graduated from Campbell Law in Raleigh, North Carolina last year and she was in the top 10% of her class but is yet to find employment as a lawyer. She is now working as an office manager making 35K and suffering from mass depression. I want to completely avoid what she is facing and want to know what range of law schools I should apply to to have the best chance at a job upon graduation. I know I need to get in somewhere as highly ranked as possible but at the same time I realize Yale is not in the picture. Is a school ranked in the top 100 too low, should I shoot for a school in the top 50 or 30?

These damn tier 3 and 4 law schools are criminals that market students with promises of riches and glory not to mention a job after graduation but all their students end up getting is DEBT and depression.

Please chime in with your opinions and advice.

You need to go for somewhere uber cheap or uber elite. There really isn't much of a difference between law school 25 and law school 75. I know people at T20s who are a week from graduation with no job prospects- not even an interview in months.

We need more info. Where are you from and can get in-state tuition? What are your LSAT/GPA scores?

That's really horrible about your cousin. It is no small feat to get top 10% at any law school.

My GPA is 3.67, from Davidson
My LSAT is 169, took the test once but like I said Yale is not in the picture with a score like that
From North Carolina

If you could raise that score just 2-3 points, you would be looking at great schools. Already, you are looking at a top 20 school. A few more points has you in the MVP range, and maybe even CCN.

TheJanitor

Postby TheJanitor » Tue May 01, 2012 3:09 pm

My cousin has been hired by a firm in Winston-Salem, NC making 70K + Bonus. Not bad considering she has very little debt from student loans and is single with no children. Very happy for her!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue May 01, 2012 3:17 pm

TheJanitor wrote:My cousin has been hired by a firm in Winston-Salem, NC making 70K + Bonus. Not bad considering she has very little debt from student loans and is single with no children. Very happy for her!

That's good news. Glad it worked out for her. Unfortunately, the vast majority of her classmates probably weren't so fortunate. That's a very good outcome for a student at that school.

Your numbers are good OP. A retake for a few more points might be a really good idea. Either way, good luck to you.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”