UCLA (105k) vs UVA (75k) vs NYU (sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UCLA (35k a year)
32%
UVA (25k a year)
59%
NYU (sticker)
8%

Total votes: 37

calvinlovehobbes

Postby calvinlovehobbes » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:24 pm

this is extremely late but now after scouring TLS for hours I am panicking as seat deposits are next week.

Currently I have three viable options:
-UCLA 35k a year (current instate tuition is 48k)
-UVA 25k a year
-NYU sticker

I am from LA and i imagine myself being back there in 3 years. but with that said ive seen multiple opinions on how you take the money and run vs. prestige and expanded opportunities from higher ranked schools like NYU.

and where the heck does UVA fit into all of this. i heard its pretty regionalized but in the latest rankings its jumped to 7?! which is right behind NYU...

in terms of studies i have no particular field of interest, gonna dabble with entertainment (both NYU and UCLA have strong faculty) and the absurdly forbidden international law. but ill still explore PI (both NYU/UCLA have strong PI programs and summer stipends) and you can never cross out big law im sure.

seat deposits are next week and originally i was gonna put in multiple seat deposits but apparently NYU doesnt allow that...
Last edited by calvinlovehobbes on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DBishops

Re: UCLA (105k) vs UVA (75k) vs NYU (sticker)

Postby DBishops » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:29 pm

No USC?

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:41 pm

UVA as things are now. But try bringing your UVA offer to UCLA and see if they up it.

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:51 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:UVA as things are now. But try bringing your UVA offer to UCLA and see if they up it.

I think I agree, but very few people seem to go back to California from UVA: http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/career/career_map.htm

If you're fine with working in UVA's footprint when you graduate, that shouldn't matter so much. If UCLA offered something closer to full tuition, I think I'd take it.

And don't sweat the rankings at all. For employment purposes I think each of the schools we're talking about is one small notch above the other.

calvinlovehobbes

Postby calvinlovehobbes » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:18 pm

USC offer was the exact same as UCLA so I figured all things being equal financially UCLA is a better LA market option? And man UVA gets a lot of tls love, I regret not considering it as seriously from the start

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:46 am

UVA. Any of the T-14 can get you back to Cali if you have strong ties there and make decent grades. Obviously it's no guarantee, but UVA can get you there. I think (but am not sure) that they have a special west coast "interviewing days" thing, too. You should ask them for details about that if you're concerned.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”