USC vs Loyola $$$ or Retake

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

USC or Loyola $$$ or Retake

USC
38%
Loyola
25%
Retake
38%

Total votes: 16

Alej.barajas

USC vs Loyola $$$ or Retake

Postby Alej.barajas » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:04 pm

Hello friends,

Currently I am debating between Loyola (Los Angeles) who has offered me a full-ride + books with a 3.2 GPA stipulation that they estimate to be between the top 45% to 50% of the class, and USC who has offered me a 15K guaranteed no strings attached scholarship for all three years. A retake is also an option but I've already taken it twice, once last October (which I cancelled) and once last December (scored 164). So my stats are 3.68/164 URM. As of now I want to practice criminal law or immigration law and I don't think that I would ever want to try Biglaw, but as we all know, apparently JD students are quite the floppers. As already mentioned I'm a URM and fluent in Spanish, which I think will help me stand out when it comes to finding a job afterwards. I would obviously love to attend USC but I don't think it's worth the money. I have to leave deposits at Loyola and USC this Monday and Tuesday so I have some serious pondering to do this weekend.

ANY help/advice/comments will be greatly appreciated.

emola

Re: USC vs Loyola $$$ or Retake

Postby emola » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:32 pm

USC has the higher ranking.
But, if not interested in Big Law, then Loyola has a huge network in the LA area.
Several of the firms I've worked with in the past decade here have Loyola law grads in good positions.
For big Law, in the LA area, most employers look at UCLA then USC and third Loyola.
But for PI, Loyola ranks high - even National Jurist had them #2 some years ago and # 8 nationally this year (above UCLA, btw)

Good luck

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:45 pm

emola wrote:USC has the higher ranking.
But, if not interested in Big Law, then Loyola has a huge network in the LA area.
Several of the firms I've worked with in the past decade here have Loyola law grads in good positions.
For big Law, in the LA area, most employers look at UCLA then USC and third Loyola.
But for PI, Loyola ranks high - even National Jurist had them #2 some years ago and # 8 nationally this year (above UCLA, btw)

Good luck

I don't think UCLA is any more highly regarded than USC. I picked USC over UCLA with similar $$$ (6k/year more at SC).

Alej.barajas

Postby Alej.barajas » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:04 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:

Good luck

I don't think UCLA is any more highly regarded than USC. I picked USC over UCLA with similar $$$ (6k/year more at SC).

I agree, overall USC and UCLA are so neck in neck I doubt employers differentiate between. BUT having said that, my buddy at USC who is doing PI said UCLA has significantly more resources for PI. So he told me if it came down to those two, UCLA should be the clear choice. Again, this is only if PI is your main and only focus.

Alej.barajas

Postby Alej.barajas » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:08 pm

Good luck

I visited Loyola and they emphasized the size of their network throughout the day, and rightfully so. I think that is a huge plus, especially in criminal law where Loyola maintains an impressive presence in the LA scene. So if I am mos definitely doing PI, you vote Loyola over USC or retake?

Thanks and good luck!

emola

Postby emola » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Alej,

Check out the National Jurist website for their rankings for PI.
If you want to work in California in PI, besides Berkeley, Loyola is highly rated.
I have worked in that field (NOT as a lawyer - planning to be one in 3+ years :)
I have been with 3 PI employers in the past 12+ years and Loyola is up there for hiring.

Sorry to say that having lived in CA all my life and graduated from USC, I can tell you categorically that UCLA is ranked higher for Law, Engineering & Medicine - both locally, and nationally.

But getting back to your question, for status/ranking, go with USC.
Immigration Law is good at both colleges - we have enough immigrants here to keep us in business.
For purely PI jobs here in LA (or with national employers who use National Jurist and don't put too much stock into US News), go with Loyola since you also have the $$$.

Best of luck

flem

Postby flem » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:25 pm

What's your total COA at each? What is your LSAT/GPA?

Being PI oriented is great, except when it leaves you 6 figures in the hole for the privilege of attending.

Alej.barajas

Postby Alej.barajas » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:50 pm

emola wrote:Alej,

If you want to work in California in PI, besides Berkeley, Loyola is highly rated.
I have worked in that field (NOT as a lawyer - planning to be one in 3+ years :)
I have been with 3 PI employers in the past 12+ years and Loyola is up there for hiring.

Sorry to say that having lived in CA all my life and graduated from USC, I can tell you categorically that UCLA is ranked higher for Law, Engineering & Medicine - both locally, and nationally.

Immigration Law is good at both colleges - we have enough immigrants here to keep us in business.
For purely PI jobs here in LA (or with national employers who use National Jurist and don't put too much stock into US News), go with Loyola since you also have the $$$.

Best of luck

Thanks you tons for the advice. I also think for PI loyola would be my best overall bet given the circumstances. I'm also thinking about committing to Loyola but also retaking the LSAT in June. Best case scenario i score a 180 and decide to reapply next cycle. Worst case I bomb it and end up at Loyola this fall. Thanks again for all the help.

Alej.barajas

Postby Alej.barajas » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:53 pm

flem wrote:What's your total COA at each? What is your LSAT/GPA?

Being PI oriented is great, except when it leaves you 6 figures in the hole for the privilege of attending.

Sorry for the newb question but whats "COA"? My stats are 164/3.68

And yes, trying to save the world is awesome except for the pay.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:54 pm

COA is cost of attendance.

Whatever you decide, definitely retake in June.

Alej.barajas

Postby Alej.barajas » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:18 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:COA is cost of attendance.

Whatever you decide, definitely retake in June.

COA at USC is about 8K more a year. Not a massive difference but still something. And I agree with the retake, started looking for some powerscore books.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:27 pm

emola wrote:Alej,

Best of luck

Your categorical statement is bullshit. UCLA's slight edge in the USNWR rankings doesn't actually translate into any hiring advantage over USC in Los Angeles. In fact, last year USC outplaced UCLA. They are both regional schools.

Postby 071816 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:31 pm

Alej.barajas wrote:UCLA has significantly more resources for PI.

This is basically true from what I have seen, but it shouldn't be the main factor in your decision. Retake and try to get dat scholly money.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”