Vanderbilt/George Washington/Notre Dame Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

GW with 20k per year (160k total cost of attendance)
26%
Notre Dame with 28k per year (100k total cost of attendance)
46%
Vanderbilt at sticker
29%

Total votes: 70

JasonR

Bronze

Re: Vanderbilt/George Washington/Notre Dame

Post by JasonR » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:30 pm

Masala716 wrote:
bigeast03 wrote:I voted for Notre Dame, strictly based on the cost. I hate doing this, but is a retake/year off an option? Two more points on the LSAT opens up MVP on down. Specifically, I think Duke would be excellent for the goals you stated. I took this year off and retook, and I honestly think it was the best choice I could've made.
Sure it is. Problem is my gpa may drop to a 3.3. I got an Incomplete that I was going to let turn into an F. Guess I'll have to work on tha
Man, don't let that happen. I'd be worried that a .2 drop in GPA might get your current choices to reevaluate their generosity.

Do whatever you need to get a C in that class at least. And then study up and retake.

soontobelawschooler

New

Post by soontobelawschooler » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:29 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Notre Dame is the best debt-to-post graduation employment option. GW students probably do about the same on the job market, but it costs $50K more. Vanderbilt students do better than Notre Dame or GW, but not better enough to justify the astronomical price tag. Therefore, Vanderbilt should not be seriously considered unless it comes up with a fair scholarship.

There are only two real issues between ND and GW. The first was obviously the price difference. The second is the difference in internship opportunities.

GW offers you the opportunity to intern at incredible places through the academic year, 1L summer, and 2L summer without having to move. While those benefits are worth a lot of money, it's difficult to assign a dollar value to them. Further, DC is the one of the places that you would like to end up. ND, on the other hand, would not only essentially require you to move out of state during the summers for interesting work, but also limit your jobs during the academic year, as even crappy local jobs would be extremely hard to get due to the location of the school.

Ultimately, it's difficult to give a fair assessment of what would truly be better for your goals. ND is cheaper by $50K, and that is nothing to sneeze at. However, GW gives you incredible internship opportunities and is located where you want to end up.

Can someone elaborate on that?
I'm interested in ND but my scholarship is not enough

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Post by Grazzhoppa » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:37 pm

FastLife wrote:I'm thinking of putting down a seat deposit at ND, and retaking the LSAT in June. If I do better, I will reapply in the fall. If I do worse, I'll go to ND. I am comfortable with graduating from ND.
This is what I'm doing.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:51 pm

soontobelawschooler wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Notre Dame is the best debt-to-post graduation employment option. GW students probably do about the same on the job market, but it costs $50K more. Vanderbilt students do better than Notre Dame or GW, but not better enough to justify the astronomical price tag. Therefore, Vanderbilt should not be seriously considered unless it comes up with a fair scholarship.

There are only two real issues between ND and GW. The first was obviously the price difference. The second is the difference in internship opportunities.

GW offers you the opportunity to intern at incredible places through the academic year, 1L summer, and 2L summer without having to move. While those benefits are worth a lot of money, it's difficult to assign a dollar value to them. Further, DC is the one of the places that you would like to end up. ND, on the other hand, would not only essentially require you to move out of state during the summers for interesting work, but also limit your jobs during the academic year, as even crappy local jobs would be extremely hard to get due to the location of the school.

Ultimately, it's difficult to give a fair assessment of what would truly be better for your goals. ND is cheaper by $50K, and that is nothing to sneeze at. However, GW gives you incredible internship opportunities and is located where you want to end up.

dude this thread is from LAST APRIL

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:34 pm

ND won't negotiate scholarship with me. I think I'll tell them to F off (no I won't actually say anything like that just decline admission) and apply again next cycle hopefully with an improved LSAT/GPA and with some work experience. Applications are dropping so it may be easier to get into top-ranked schools and get more generous scholarship offers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Crowing wrote:
soontobelawschooler wrote:

dude this thread is from LAST APRIL
Seriously. Just start a new thread with your question instead of dredging this thing up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”