Can I put a first deposit down at 2 schools? USC and UCLA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Snake90

Can I put a first deposit down at 2 schools? USC and UCLA

Postby Snake90 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:59 pm

I have a scholarship of $7,500 (22,500) per year at UCLA and $22,000 (66,000) per year at USC. UCLA has told me that they might raise their amount to be competitive with USC's after May 1st. If they don't raise their offer, I am planning on attending USC, although UCLA is my first choice, (just not when the difference is 9k per year.) Am I allowed to give the first deposit at both schools? I know that LSAC notifies schools when students do this, but is that only for the later deadlines?

Thank you!

Doorkeeper

Re: Can I put a first deposit down at 2 schools? USC and UCLA

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:16 pm

LSAC notifies all schools about deposits on May 15th. Before that, I have no idea.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:26 pm

Of course. Its your money. Nothing binding about first deposits, except that you don't get it back should you choose not to attend.

Snake90

Postby Snake90 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:45 pm

monkey85 wrote:Of course. Its your money. Nothing binding about first deposits, except that you don't get it back should you choose not to attend.

Ok, thats great news. Thanks monkey85.

SaintFond

Postby SaintFond » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:04 pm

Careful. Some schools will threaten to rescind offers if you play the seat deposit game. However, I know that UCLA is not one of them since I called to ask them about this very issue. I do not know about USC. You should check the school's website and call them if necessary.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:11 pm

SaintFond wrote:Careful. Some schools will threaten to rescind offers if you play the seat deposit game. However, I know that UCLA is not one of them since I called to ask them about this very issue. I do not know about USC. You should check the school's website and call them if necessary.

This is true. I sent in two deposits because I was still weighing the schools up until the deadline, and one of the schools called me and said that if I was unsure about their school, perhaps I should tell them so they can offer my seat to a student on the waitlist who "truly wanted to attend their institution." Needless to say, I told them in no uncertain terms to shove it up their ass.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”