a

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
abccc

a

Postby abccc » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:48 pm

a
Last edited by abccc on Mon May 14, 2012 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ahnhub

Re: Northwestern vs. UVA (delayed)

Postby ahnhub » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:52 pm

Where do you wanna work?

abccc

Postby abccc » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:54 pm

I am pretty open in terms of location.

Probably NYC would be first choice, but only because I want the chance to work for the best. So in all honesty, I would probably take the best job I could get in any of NYC, DC, Chicago, or San Francisco.

flem

Postby flem » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:55 pm

Since you can go to Northwestern now and it has the same/better biglawl placement and money is no factor, I'd go. Unless, of course, you really hate Chicago or something.

It's not like you were offered a full scholarship to UVA for waiting a year. You just wait a year and then pay 200K afterwards. Not worth it.

Everyone take note - this is the one situation where taking a year off doesn't make any sense.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:58 pm

Sounds like Northwestern is the way to go. Why would UVa be delayed?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:58 pm

Do you want to be in a young/fratty law school or an older/fratty law school. That's really what the choice comes down to.

chem

Postby chem » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:59 pm

flem wrote:Since you can go to Northwestern now and it has the same/better biglawl placement and money is no factor, I'd go. Unless, of course, you really hate Chicago or something.

It's not like you were offered a full scholarship to UVA for waiting a year. You just wait a year and then pay 200K afterwards. Not worth it.

Everyone take note - this is the one situation where taking a year off doesn't make any sense.

Depends if op has good plans for the year off. Like solid w/e

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:00 pm

rayiner wrote:Do you want to be in a young/fratty law school or an older/fratty law school. That's really what the choice comes down to.

Hm. You characterize NU as fratty? I think it's the first time I've heard that.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:00 pm

flem wrote:Since you can go to Northwestern now and it has the same/better biglawl placement and money is no factor, I'd go. Unless, of course, you really hate Chicago or something.

TBF, he could work for a year and save money to pay for school and take less in loans.

But I'd probably go with NU in this case too.

flem

Postby flem » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:01 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:TBF, he could work for a year and save money to pay for school and take less in loans.

Bro did say "money isn't a factor", but whether that means "My parents are loaded" or "I ain't currr about massive debt" wasn't addressed.

abccc

Postby abccc » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:02 pm

So even though UVA is ranked higher (I know rankings don't mean everything), you do not believe that they are that much better in terms of Big Law job placement over Northwestern to warrant waiting a year?

Is UVA any better at all than Northwestern, if say we removed the "wait a year" factor and were just comparing them straight up?

flem

Postby flem » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:05 pm

abccc wrote:
So even though UVA is ranked higher (I know rankings don't mean everything), you do not believe that they are that much better in terms of Big Law job placement over Northwestern to warrant waiting a year?

Is UVA any better at all than Northwestern, if say we removed the "wait a year" factor and were just comparing them straight up?

This has Northwestern and UVA within 2% of their 250 attorney+/federal clerkship category with 55.6% and 57.2%, respectively. I'd say that's fairly marginal.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:08 pm

flem wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:TBF, he could work for a year and save money to pay for school and take less in loans.

Bro did say "money isn't a factor", but whether that means "My parents are loaded" or "I ain't currr about massive debt" wasn't addressed.

Yeah, that's true, totally didn't take that part of the OP into account. I guess I just thought even if your parents are paying for school, it would be nice to minimize the load for them...they have retirement and shit to think about, after all.
abccc wrote:So even though UVA is ranked higher (I know rankings don't mean everything), you do not believe that they are that much better in terms of Big Law job placement over Northwestern to warrant waiting a year?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=181415

NU is actually the same or better for biglaw than UVa, assuming you don't care where you end up working (this would be a case of Chi vs. DC, btw, plus your home ties and NYC being options from either school)

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:10 pm

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:20 pm

ahnhub wrote:
rayiner wrote:Do you want to be in a young/fratty law school or an older/fratty law school. That's really what the choice comes down to.

My section was fratty, but probably unusually so. The 1L's this year are trashy. The 2L's are nerdy gunners. It actually varies a lot more than people expect.

Oh as for market: UVA will have a huge advantage in DC, and NU will have a huge advantage in Chicago. Same for NYC.

As someone who grew up in DC... Chicago >>> DC.
Last edited by rayiner on Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:22 pm

rayiner wrote:
ahnhub wrote:

My section was fratty, but probably unusually so. The 1L's this year are trashy. The 2L's are nerdy gunners. It actually varies a lot more than people expect.

Well, the incoming 0Ls are all really chill and fun, so problem solved. 8)

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:22 pm

rayiner wrote:
ahnhub wrote:

Hopefully Columbia admissions is going with 'Promiscuous' for my class.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:25 pm

ahnhub wrote:Hopefully Columbia admissions is going with 'Promiscuous' for my class.

:lol: :lol:
Samara wrote:Well, the incoming 0Ls are all really chill and fun, so problem solved. 8)

Truth. :mrgreen: /high five

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:42 pm

ahnhub wrote:
rayiner wrote:
ahnhub wrote:

Hopefully Columbia admissions is going with 'Promiscuous' for my class.

That's every class in every law school ever.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:47 pm

ahnhub wrote:

Ray thinks everyone who isn't nerdy is fratty. What he means is that people like to have fun. Social time revolves more around bars than house parties (because nobody has a house). It's more young urban professional than undergrad.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:51 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

TBF, he could work for a year and save money to pay for school and take less in loans.

Unless the guy has a great paying job (or is living in his parents house) the amount of cash he can save in a year is pretty small. Especially considering the cost of tuition goes up every dam year.

He'd almost certainly make more money spending 1 year extra as a lawyer.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
ahnhub wrote:

Ray thinks everyone who isn't nerdy is fratty. What he means is that people like to have fun. Social time revolves more around bars than house parties (because nobody has a house). It's more young urban professional than undergrad.

My section was all house parties all the time. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Also: atrium flip cup. QED.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:09 pm

rayiner wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
ahnhub wrote:

My section was all house parties all the time. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I played more flip cup/beerpong at ASW than I have since the last time I visited my UG.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:18 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
rayiner wrote:

I played more flip cup/beerpong at ASW than I have since the last time I visited my UG.

Truth. Also, atrium flip cup sounds intriguing.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:24 pm

Atrium flip cup would have been better if we could have convinced her http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawn_Clark_Netsch to play. She said maybe next time.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”