UVA (sticker) vs. UCLA (120K) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UVA (sticker) vs UCLA (120K) hope to do PI after school

UVA (sticker)
29%
UCLA (120K)
71%

Total votes: 38

JChamberlain

New

UVA (sticker) vs. UCLA (120K)

Post by JChamberlain » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:18 pm

Hey. These are the two schools i have to choose between. I'm not interested in Big Law except as an avenue towards loan repayment and credential building. My end goal is public interest, ideally in a federal capacity. I've been warned, both by posters here and by UVA's PI career counselor, about the tough job market for PI, particularly in the government sector. She suggested clerking as another way to build a resume before getting in bed with the feds. I'm just not sure if the difference in price is worth the difference in ranking, and further I'm unsure if the difference in ranking is going to open the doors I want it to. I am, I should say, planning on working as hard and placing as high as possible... but I imagine most people have this mentality. I'm also not in love with the idea of winding up practicing in LA, but not dead set against it either. Thanks all.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Re: UVA (sticker) vs. UCLA (120K)

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:26 pm

Tough call. UVA is undoubtedly better for your aspirations, but 120k is a lot of money. How good is UVA's LRAP?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:26 pm

GPA/LSAT? If you're a reverse splitter, a retake might be worthwhile.

Of these two, UVA is a better fit for your goals, but the price is a bit steep.

JChamberlain

New

Post by JChamberlain » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:02 am

UVA's LRAP is just so so. under 55 is fully paid, 75 and over doesn't qualify, prorated in between.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:03 am

JChamberlain wrote:UVA's LRAP is just so so. under 55 is fully paid, 75 and over doesn't qualify, prorated in between.
Ouch. That is mediocre considering some public interest jobs in DC pay at 60-70.

I think if you want to do PI in California, then UCLA.
Considering how hard it would be to get a PI job in DC from UCLA, I think you might have to go UVA in this circumstance if you want to do PI in DC. Does UCLA or UVA have any externship programs in DC?

Is there any specific geographic location you want? You mention PI for fedgov, but that's a few years after graduation normally.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JChamberlain

New

Post by JChamberlain » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:08 am

UCLA does have an externship program to DC... however, looking at the representative employers of their recent graduates, very few place in DC. Lots of kids from UVA get PI work in DC. My geographic location immediately after school is not the most important consideration; however, I think the biggest concentration of the best PI jobs (especially gov, of course) would be in DC/NYC. I would be ok with practicing in California for a little while... but East coast is closer to home, family and friends, and I'd like to end up there.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:16 am

We need more information on your other options. Neither of these schools are a good fit for you.

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:06 pm

People need to understand that schools like UVA and UCLA have modified their LRAP programs so that those programs now pay all or a portion of the qualifying graduate's monthly IBR payment, not the graduate's actual loan debt.

JChamberlain

New

Post by JChamberlain » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:21 pm

No. Are you serious? I've done some careful reading and I did not figure that out. That makes a pretty huge difference.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:37 pm

Do you not have an option in the middle ground? Like GULC with a bit of money or something?

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:38 pm

From the TLS web site (the UVA web site is in a PDF that I can't cut and paste):
Eligible loans are law school loans only. Furthermore, these loans must be on the federal government’s income-based repayment (IBR) plan. Loans which qualify for IBR include Stafford and GradPLUS.

Non-law school debt is ineligible.

Calculation of Benefits
VLFP will cover the difference between the actual payments on eligible debt and what the participant is expected to contribute.

The amount the participant is expected to contribute is based on income. The income used for calculations is the higher of the participant’s income or ½ of the joint income, if married. The joint income is the participant’s income plus the spouse’s income minus the spouse’s yearly graduate (not undergraduate) school debt obligation.

If this income is below $55,000 per year, the participant is not expected to contribute towards repayment and will receive an award equal to the actual IBR loan payment.
There is an income cap of $75,000, above which graduates are ineligible for benefits. For incomes between $55,000 and $75,000, benefits are prorated.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:47 pm

PI is pure fantasy. Go to UCLA so when you strike out of PI you at least have low debt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”