Southwestern law versus Mercer Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nancykaplan15

New

Southwestern law versus Mercer Law

Post by nancykaplan15 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:14 pm

Does anyone have an idea which school would be better to attend? I want to practice in California but I heard that Mercer has a better program.

d0rklord

Bronze

Re: Southwestern law versus Mercer Law

Post by d0rklord » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:21 pm

nancykaplan15 wrote:Does anyone have an idea which school would be better to attend? I want to practice in California but I heard that Mercer has a better program.
Did you get any $$ to either of them?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:25 pm

Most law schools are extremely regional. When you're choosing between two TTT schools, the ranking doesn't matter. If you go to Mercer you have virtually zero chance of Practicing Law in California.

Your chances of getting a decent job out of Southwestern aren't great either. How many times have you taken the LSAT?

nancykaplan15

New

Post by nancykaplan15 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:37 pm

No money from Southwestern, don't know about Mercer yet. I was hoping to transfer after one year from either to another Ca. school. I took LSAT 2x, first time little prep, 2nd time lots of prep, same score!! Thinking of taking LSAT again but discouraged. :(

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:46 pm

Never go to law school hoping to transfer. How did you prep for the LSAT the second time? You absolutely should retake again

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:47 pm

nancykaplan15 wrote:No money from Southwestern, don't know about Mercer yet. I was hoping to transfer after one year from either to another Ca. school. I took LSAT 2x, first time little prep, 2nd time lots of prep, same score!! Thinking of taking LSAT again but discouraged. :(
I really don't mean to sound snarky or just be a TLS echo chamber, but hoping/expecting to transfer can be a crapshoot and shouldn't be relied upon. You can still take it one more time. Read TLS' articles about LSAT prep, and especially look into the Powerscore bibles. They raised my score 13 points on retake.

At sticker, Southwestern just doesn't make financial sense. I would take the test again (it can't hurt) and either attempt to get money at Southwestern (like, full scholarship) or try to get into a better CA school.

d0rklord

Bronze

Post by d0rklord » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:55 pm

What are your stats, btw... if you don't mind me asking. :)

nancykaplan15

New

Post by nancykaplan15 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:02 pm

Thanks

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:55 am

nancykaplan15 wrote:No money from Southwestern, don't know about Mercer yet. I was hoping to transfer after one year from either to another Ca. school. I took LSAT 2x, first time little prep, 2nd time lots of prep, same score!! Thinking of taking LSAT again but discouraged. :(
Retake. You're looking at spending 200k for a degree that gives you awful job prospects.

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:04 am

nancykaplan15 wrote:Does anyone have an idea which school would be better to attend? I want to practice in California but I heard that Mercer has a better program.
Please don't utterly ruin yourself financially by attending either of these miserable TTTs. Either study up and get a significantly better LSAT score or pick another profession. Those are your only reasonable options.

Don't ever settle for a TTT just because you plan to transfer. Just about everyone else there would like to transfer too, and they'll all be working just as hard as you. Most of you will be broken on the curve and will have a six-figure piece of toilet paper after 3 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”