Campbell/Elon/Charlotte

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
maxmax

Campbell/Elon/Charlotte

Postby maxmax » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:49 pm

I have been accepted to Campbell, Elon, and Charlotte and I think they are all tier four law schools. I think Campbell has the best reputation of the three followed by Elon and then Charlotte. Should I go to Campbell and be content with that choice, or should I go to Charlotte and try to be tops in my class and attempt to transfer after one year? I don't think Charlotte would be as hard as Campbell but I could be wrong. I also wonder if Wake Forest would consider a accepting a student from Campbell or Charlotte or should I try a transfer to some other school.

Any thoughts, info would be greatly appreciated!

stillwater

Re: Campbell/Elon/Charlotte

Postby stillwater » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:55 pm

maxmax wrote:I have been accepted to Campbell, Elon, and Charlotte and I think they are all tier four law schools. I think Campbell has the best reputation of the three followed by Elon and then Charlotte. Should I go to Campbell and be content with that choice, or should I go to Charlotte and try to be tops in my class and attempt to transfer after one year? I don't think Charlotte would be as hard as Campbell but I could be wrong. I also wonder if Wake Forest would consider a accepting a student from Campbell or Charlotte or should I try a transfer to some other school.

You should never expect to transfer (up at least). What is your GPA/LSAT?

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:21 pm

maxmax wrote:I have been accepted to Campbell, Elon, and Charlotte and I think they are all tier four law schools. I think Campbell has the best reputation of the three followed by Elon and then Charlotte. Should I go to Campbell and be content with that choice, or should I go to Charlotte and try to be tops in my class and attempt to transfer after one year? I don't think Charlotte would be as hard as Campbell but I could be wrong. I also wonder if Wake Forest would consider a accepting a student from Campbell or Charlotte or should I try a transfer to some other school.

Never EVER go to law school expecting to transfer. Expect to be median after 1L, then decide whether it would be good for you.

There will be little to no difference between the competitiveness of the student body at any of these schools. The only justifiable decision might be to go to one if you have a FULL scholarship, plus cost of living, and you are absolutely prepared to drop out if you do not get top 5%.

flem

Postby flem » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:30 pm

Charlotte is a for-profit toilet. I know a few people that went there. All are jobless.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:08 pm

Don't go in expecting to transfer up. Go in expecting to be medianish. And medianish from any of these schools is completely screwed for jobs.

The answer, absent a full ride + COL paid for, is absolutely positive no to all three of these schools. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

maxmax

Postby maxmax » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:33 pm

stillwater wrote:

My LSAT is 162 and GPA 3.12, any other school that I might get into with those numbers?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:35 pm

maxmax wrote:
stillwater wrote:

My LSAT is 162 and GPA 3.12, any other school that I might get into with those numbers?

If you're srs about working in NC, you need to retake and get into UNC or Wake.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:37 pm

rad lulz wrote:
maxmax wrote:
stillwater wrote:

If you're srs about working in NC, you need to retake and get into UNC or Wake.

Echoing this- if you tack on 3-4 points, you should be able to get at least Wake. You need to get into Wake or UNC to make it worth it.

maxmax

Postby maxmax » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:49 pm

So 3 or 5 more points and apply to UNC and Wake. Should I emphasize that I worked as a deputy sheriff for three years while enrolled full-time at Gardner-Webb in my personal statement, I mean should that be the theme of my application essay.

joban224

Postby joban224 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:17 pm

I'm a 2L at a top 40 school and went to Charlotte as a 1L. I transferred at top 15% (along with moot court/CALI Awards) and was accepted to other Tier 1 schools. In the summer program for a federal agency in DC. As others have said, it is certainly a gamble to expect to transfer; I took that gamble, and it paid off. I knew I was leaving from day 1. If I had the opportunity, I would do it again.

PM me if you have any further questions.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:28 pm

maxmax wrote:So 3 or 5 more points and apply to UNC and Wake. Should I emphasize that I worked as a deputy sheriff for three years while enrolled full-time at Gardner-Webb in my personal statement, I mean should that be the theme of my application essay.

Yes retake. That would be a fine PS topic. Even if you don't score higher I think you could be WL>in at UNC. Just expect a long wait. Campbell is the best option of those that you mentioned, but is in no way a good option with your numbers.

Panth8080

Postby Panth8080 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:43 pm

Since you are looking at Tier 4 schools, what about NC Central? You would have the same job prospects as the other 3 schools, but the huge difference is that you'd be paying $20,000 less per year in tuition.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”