Duke vs UC-Davis Round 2

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hanman

Re: Duke vs UC-Davis Round 2

Postby hanman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:58 pm

flem wrote:How is UCLA's bay area placement? That would be the only (huge, in your case) drawback to that middle ground.

Well, at the Hastings admit event, they made a remark along the lines of "Hastings grads do as well and perhaps even better than UCLA grads coming into the Bay Area". So I think UCLA grads would at least be more competitive here than Davis/Hastings ...

I don't want to do biglaw at all (I've been a biglaw paralegal for 3+ years and know this for certain :). a labor law/employment law firm is what i'm aiming for. i am thrilled about getting into UCLA (and now getting $$) but have heard not so great things re: employment prospects from friends who are UCLA law grads (2010 and 2011)

flem

Postby flem » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:00 pm

hanman wrote:
Well, at the Hastings admit event, they made a remark along the lines of "Hastings grads do as well and perhaps even better than UCLA grads coming into the Bay Area". So I think UCLA grads would at least be more competitive here than Davis/Hastings ...

I don't want to do biglaw at all (I've been a biglaw paralegal for 3+ years and know this for certain :). a labor law/employment law firm is what i'm aiming for. i am thrilled about getting into UCLA (and now getting $$) but have heard not so great things re: employment prospects from friends who are UCLA law grads (2010 and 2011)

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. Change my question to "how is UCLA's placement in the bay area".

Worth looking into. I'd want to be awfully sure on that because I committed.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:03 pm

What's total COA at UCLA? If you don't want biglaw I think that's the school that will strike the right balance.

Gail

Postby Gail » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:05 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
hanman wrote:After some very helpful feedback from other TLSers, I was 99% certain I would go to Duke; me and my spouse had decided the portability of the degree + personal satisfaction was important to us.

However, I finally got scholarship info from Davis so I now know my true COA and now the decision is up in the air again.

Duke would cost $90,000 over three years (this includes scholarship and parental help)
Davis would cost $61,000 over three years (again - accounts for scholarship, parental help etc)

Is Duke really worth 30k more than Davis (and worth the added stress of long distance)? I intend to practice in the Bay Area/CA.

I also got into UCLA but no word on $$ yet, they gave me v minimal need-based aid.

Do you want to practice in California?

Doesn't matter. Duke is still the answer.

flem

Postby flem » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:06 pm

Gail wrote:

Not rly. OP doesn't want biglaw and wants to stay in Cali. Damn near full ride at UCLA makes a lot of sense bruh.

It's the biglaw caveat that matters here.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:14 pm

flem wrote:
Gail wrote:

Not rly. OP doesn't want biglaw and wants to stay in Cali. Damn near full ride at UCLA makes a lot of sense bruh.

Close to full ride? She wasnt getting a full ride at Davis, what makes you think she will at UCLA? I might have missed something but did you post how much UCLA gave you?

I think UCLA is probably the right choice here.

flem

Postby flem » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:18 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Close to full ride? She wasnt getting a full ride at Davis, what makes you think she will at UCLA? I might have missed something but did you post how much UCLA gave you?

I think UCLA is probably the right choice here.

Oops, you're correct. I thought it was a total scholarship of 120K, it was a total scholarship of 71K.

My mistake bros.

Golden Bear 11

Postby Golden Bear 11 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:20 pm

UCLA

hanman

Postby hanman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:35 pm

Total Amount Borrowed For Law School might be the best way to think about this...

Duke= $90k
Davis = $61k
UCLA = $90k (higher CoL)

thank you all for your feedback - i'm feeling really anxious! Duke won't give me a deposit extension and I have to send off my check tomorrow morning/sign a statement saying i'm withdrawing from all other schools. i don't want to untruthfully sign this statement.

i know that UCLA makes much more sense than Davis (it was one of my dream schools!) but my husband will 99% not move to LA while I'm there. Guaranteed 3 years long distance is much worse than 1 year at Duke (he is considering jobs in NC which would mean no long distance 2L and 3L).

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:37 pm

bk1 wrote:I think only you and your spouse can answer the question of whether doing long distance is worth the job prospects of Duke. It seemed like you had already made this decision in favor of Duke and I don't think 30k changes that.

TITCR.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:40 pm

I go to Davis. I love Davis. Please go to Duke. This decision makes itself. You might have to put in a little extra legwork finding a job in SF, but with ties this will be no problem, and you'll still have a much easier time of it than 80-90% of the class at UC Davis. Top-10% here makes SF biglaw a lock, but you're taking a 90% chance you won't make it. Your odds at Duke are just much better, and it's frankly just a better school. You'll spend your whole career trading on the value of your JD, do yourself a favor and invest this time and money wisely.

roaringeagle

Postby roaringeagle » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:42 pm

Duke. Enjoy man.

hanman

Postby hanman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:42 pm

Thank you all! Just gotta take a deep breath and take the plunge. I will be getting my checkbook out tonight.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:43 pm

hanman wrote:Thank you all! Just gotta take a deep breath and take the plunge. I will be getting my checkbook out tonight.

Congrats, and enjoy these few months before law school (and ultimately, paying back loans) starts.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:24 pm

hanman wrote:Total Amount Borrowed For Law School might be the best way to think about this...

Duke= $90k
Davis = $61k
UCLA = $90k (higher CoL)

thank you all for your feedback - i'm feeling really anxious! Duke won't give me a deposit extension and I have to send off my check tomorrow morning/sign a statement saying i'm withdrawing from all other schools. i don't want to untruthfully sign this statement.

i know that UCLA makes much more sense than Davis (it was one of my dream schools!) but my husband will 99% not move to LA while I'm there. Guaranteed 3 years long distance is much worse than 1 year at Duke (he is considering jobs in NC which would mean no long distance 2L and 3L).

Why would he move to NC but not Los Angeles?

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:29 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
hanman wrote:Total Amount Borrowed For Law School might be the best way to think about this...

Duke= $90k
Davis = $61k
UCLA = $90k (higher CoL)

Yea wondering the same thing. Don't you also get resident rate at UCLA?

hanman

Postby hanman » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:54 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:

Duke= $90k
Davis = $61k
UCLA = $90k (higher CoL)

Yea wondering the same thing. Don't you also get resident rate at UCLA?

my cost estimate accounts for in-state tuition at UCLA.

husband is a scientist so NC is actually a good place for him. LA is not (for his field). hes actually going to NC next week for work and will be exploring job options there during his trip.

Gail

Postby Gail » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:21 pm

flem wrote:
Gail wrote:

Didn't read that he didn't want Biglaw. Just saw Davis vs Duke. my bad.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:17 pm

A lot of people don't want biglaw... until they realize how horrible loan payments are. If OP gets a full ride at UCLA, then sure, go nuts, but otherwise Duke is the better option if the cost differential is only $30,000.

hanman

Postby hanman » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:14 pm

Thank you all for your feedback and advice! I decided to go to Duke and sent in my deposit (just in time!).

I don't know if TLS prestige obsession has affected me or working in biglaw for 3 yrs, but I do think that given that costs being pretty much equal, going to the 'highest ranked' school possible is the best choice i can make, given the environment/economy we are stuck with.

and SBL is correct - while i might have 'noble' intentions to bypass big law, i am old enough to know never say never ... and duke keeps all options open. now i can finally get excited about school!

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:26 pm

hanman wrote:Thank you all for your feedback and advice! I decided to go to Duke and sent in my deposit (just in time!).

I don't know if TLS prestige obsession has affected me or working in biglaw for 3 yrs, but I do think that given that costs being pretty much equal, going to the 'highest ranked' school possible is the best choice i can make, given the environment/economy we are stuck with.

and SBL is correct - while i might have 'noble' intentions to bypass big law, i am old enough to know never say never ... and duke keeps all options open. now i can finally get excited about school!

Boom. Good choice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”