UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

UF
16
28%
FSU
32
56%
Stetson
9
16%
 
Total votes: 57

268Life
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:59 am

UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

Postby 268Life » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:21 am

I really have no desire to leave the state of Florida at this point and I am originally from Tampa and would like to relocate there anyway. I am a UF graduate for undergrad and have a soft spot for my alma mater. I would be paying about $60k plus living for UF, $30k plus living for FSU, and nothing for Stetson. I am very conflicted at this point and I know Stetson has no name outside of Florida but I know several recent graduates who have been successful from there in Tampa-Orlando. Let me know what you think.

User avatar
The Rover
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:06 am

Re: UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

Postby The Rover » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:34 am

FSU unless you really really want to go to UF. At those prices neither FSU or UF is a bad option, I would just go for the money here. And although you know successful grads from Stetson, this is what we call anecdotal evidence. The employment stats for FSU and UF are worth the extra $ IMO. I bet the full ride from stetson has a stipulation as well.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:37 am

FSU. How much do you expect your living expenses to be? If you expect them to be $60K over three years, FSU is still a tough sell at $90K total debt.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:07 am

FSU.
Last edited by Doorkeeper on Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

268Life
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:59 am

Re: UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

Postby 268Life » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:41 am

Ya, I expect about 25k in living expenses over three years at any of the places. I have $10k saved to put down.

Florida would be 30k more than FSU.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

Postby flem » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:42 am

268Life wrote:Ya, I expect about 25k in living expenses over three years at any of the places. I have $10k saved to put down.

Florida would be 30k more than FSU.


Eh, they're basically peers. I'd take the money.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:07 am

flem wrote:
268Life wrote:Ya, I expect about 25k in living expenses over three years at any of the places. I have $10k saved to put down.

Florida would be 30k more than FSU.


Eh, they're basically peers. I'd take the money.


This. FSU all the way.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:07 pm

I'd go to Stetson. Stetson has a good name in Florida and you said you never think you'll leave. You want to work in Tampa.

If you go to FSU and then get a job in Tampa, the rest of your life you'll be working around a bunch of Stetson grads who will wonder why you were too good for their school. I mean I'm bullshiting, but I'd take the money and do Stetson. Both schools will place you equally well in shitlaw, and I don't think 40k is worth it for a 5% chance for big law vs a 2% chance.

268Life
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:59 am

Re: UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

Postby 268Life » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:34 pm

Ya, I see Stetson partners in pretty much any large law firm in Tampa Bay. UF dominates this area when it comes to BigLaw though. 70% of the attorneys in large firms in Tampa/Orlando/Jacksonville are Gators. Would it be worth it to go to Florida? Stetson would take the pressure off in paying off loans for sure and if I were to do well, I believe I would have nearly as good of a shot at a solid job in Tampa as going to FSU. I am leaning towards Stetson v UF. It is a lot of money to leave on the table.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

Postby flem » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:35 pm

268Life wrote:Ya, I see Stetson partners in pretty much any large law firm in Tampa Bay. UF dominates this area when it comes to BigLaw though. 70% of the attorneys in large firms in Tampa/Orlando/Jacksonville are Gators. Would it be worth it to go to Florida? Stetson would take the pressure off in paying off loans for sure and if I were to do well, I believe I would have nearly as good of a shot at a solid job in Tampa as going to FSU. I am leaning towards Stetson v UF. It is a lot of money to leave on the table.


That free Stetson degree is only worth it if you can get a job afterwards. Many Stetson grads don't.

UF has broader name recognition and a more large/more devout alumni network.

Why is FSU off the table? UF is not worth 30K more than FSU in my opinion.

268Life
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:59 am

Re: UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

Postby 268Life » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:46 pm

It is not off the table. When it comes to getting the best jobs in the state of Florida, I think UF is where you go. When the economy was humming, in 2007, a UF grad was making considerable more money on average (30k more) than an FSU grad. UF took the big hit with the economy, even FSU took a slight hit with the average coming out being 60k. If the economy is good in 3 years UF was the right decision, but if I do really well at Stetson and the economy is still stagnant, not having any debt will open up options to me and keep the pressure off. In Pinellas (St. Pete-Clearwater) and Pasco (New Tampa-New Port Richey) which is an area of 1.4 million people, about 50% of State Attorneys are Stetson if I had to go that route since the the State Attorney is a Stetson Grad and likes to stay in house. Likewise, the Attorney General in Florida, Pam Bondi, is a Stetson Grad. One way or another, if the economy were to double dip, Stetson would be the right choice if I did well there which I believe I could.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

Postby flem » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:24 pm

268Life wrote:It is not off the table. When it comes to getting the best jobs in the state of Florida, I think UF is where you go. When the economy was humming, in 2007, a UF grad was making considerable more money on average (30k more) than an FSU grad. UF took the big hit with the economy, even FSU took a slight hit with the average coming out being 60k. If the economy is good in 3 years UF was the right decision, but if I do really well at Stetson and the economy is still stagnant, not having any debt will open up options to me and keep the pressure off. In Pinellas (St. Pete-Clearwater) and Pasco (New Tampa-New Port Richey) which is an area of 1.4 million people, about 50% of State Attorneys are Stetson if I had to go that route since the the State Attorney is a Stetson Grad and likes to stay in house. Likewise, the Attorney General in Florida, Pam Bondi, is a Stetson Grad. One way or another, if the economy were to double dip, Stetson would be the right choice there if I was about to do well there which I believe I could.


According to the 2010 data that just came out, 68% of Stetson grads secured ANY full time employment 9 months out. Take out the shady "business and industry" category, it drops to 63%. 9.5% worked in firms larger than 50 attorneys.

That's terrible. Pointing to a few bros who did well and also went to Stetson like 20 years ago doesn't support your case. Those numbers are from now.

UF and FSU aren't great but they're certainly better than that. Half of Stetson graduates won't even end up being attorneys, let alone attorneys with a good outcome.

Jess101
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

Postby Jess101 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:20 pm

flem wrote:
268Life wrote:It is not off the table. When it comes to getting the best jobs in the state of Florida, I think UF is where you go. When the economy was humming, in 2007, a UF grad was making considerable more money on average (30k more) than an FSU grad. UF took the big hit with the economy, even FSU took a slight hit with the average coming out being 60k. If the economy is good in 3 years UF was the right decision, but if I do really well at Stetson and the economy is still stagnant, not having any debt will open up options to me and keep the pressure off. In Pinellas (St. Pete-Clearwater) and Pasco (New Tampa-New Port Richey) which is an area of 1.4 million people, about 50% of State Attorneys are Stetson if I had to go that route since the the State Attorney is a Stetson Grad and likes to stay in house. Likewise, the Attorney General in Florida, Pam Bondi, is a Stetson Grad. One way or another, if the economy were to double dip, Stetson would be the right choice there if I was about to do well there which I believe I could.


According to the 2010 data that just came out, 68% of Stetson grads secured ANY full time employment 9 months out. Take out the shady "business and industry" category, it drops to 63%. 9.5% worked in firms larger than 50 attorneys.

That's terrible. Pointing to a few bros who did well and also went to Stetson like 20 years ago doesn't support your case. Those numbers are from now.

UF and FSU aren't great but they're certainly better than that. Half of Stetson graduates won't even end up being attorneys, let alone attorneys with a good outcome.


gina xoxo
Last edited by Jess101 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

Postby flem » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:37 pm

Jess101 wrote:



This is wrong, 3.3% are seeking graduate degrees and 0% are employed by the school unlike UF that employed 21 of its graduating class or UM that employed 35 of its graduating class. 78.3% of Stetson grads secured ANY full time employment 9 months out. Take out the shady "business and industry" category, it drops to 72.1%. 9.5% worked in firms larger than 50 attorneys. There are 34 firms in Tampa with more than 50 attorneys on martindale.com. The vast majority of firms in central Florida have less than 50 attorneys...

http://placementsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/home.aspx


So basically, 3.3% are abjectly fucked.

Also that survey is based on 264 responses out of 337 graduates.

So no, I'm not wrong. It is, however, commendable they do not employ their own graduates to cook their numbers.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

Postby Nelson » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:40 pm

flem wrote:It is, however, commendable they do not employ their own graduates to cook their numbers.

Or, it's deplorable that they take their un- and underemployed grads tuition dollars and then leave them high and dry after graduation.

Jess101
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

Postby Jess101 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:41 pm

flem wrote:
Jess101 wrote:



This is wrong, 3.3% are seeking graduate degrees and 0% are employed by the school unlike UF that employed 21 of its graduating class or UM that employed 35 of its graduating class. 78.3% of Stetson grads secured ANY full time employment 9 months out. Take out the shady "business and industry" category, it drops to 72.1%. 9.5% worked in firms larger than 50 attorneys. There are 34 firms in Tampa with more than 50 attorneys on martindale.com. The vast majority of firms in central Florida have less than 50 attorneys...

http://placementsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/home.aspx


So basically, 3.3% are abjectly fucked.

Also that survey is based on 264 responses out of 337 graduates.

So no, I'm not wrong. It is, however, commendable they do not employ their own graduates to cook their numbers.


gina xoxo
Last edited by Jess101 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

Postby flem » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:42 pm

Nelson wrote:
flem wrote:It is, however, commendable they do not employ their own graduates to cook their numbers.

Or, it's deplorable that they take their un- and underemployed grads tuition dollars and then leave them high and dry after graduation.


Double edged sword bruh

Jess101
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

Postby Jess101 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:43 pm

Nelson wrote:
flem wrote:It is, however, commendable they do not employ their own graduates to cook their numbers.

Or, it's deplorable that they take their un- and underemployed grads tuition dollars and then leave them high and dry after graduation.


Tina xoxo
Last edited by Jess101 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

Postby flem » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:45 pm

Jess101 wrote:
Actually it is 264 responded employed out of 337 graduates besides the 3.3% LLMs who are "fucked." 49 different respondents claimed they were unemployed


What is 232 (those who secured long term employment) divided by 337 (total number of graduates?)

Take this number and multiply it by 100 and you get, you guessed it, 68.8%.

You're welcome.

And you're fucked if you're pursuing an LLM from a school in this range.

Jess101
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

Postby Jess101 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:51 pm

flem wrote:
Jess101 wrote:
Actually it is 264 responded employed out of 337 graduates besides the 3.3% LLMs who are "fucked." 49 different respondents claimed they were unemployed


What is 232 (those who secured long term employment) divided by 337 (total number of graduates?)

Take this number and multiply it by 100 and you get, you guessed it, 68.8%.

You're welcome.

And you're fucked if you're pursuing an LLM from a school in this range.


Trina xoxo
Last edited by Jess101 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jess101
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

Postby Jess101 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:53 pm

Whitney XOXO
Last edited by Jess101 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

Postby flem » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:54 pm

Jess101 wrote:
Yes because people who go to UF tax LLM are all fucked....

Also if you are not going to use the total employment UF does not come in that much better @ 73.4%


I'm talking about LLMs at Stetson. Florida has a great LLM program.

And UF isn't a great option either but their placement is stronger. Also Florida placed almost 17% into firms of 50+. That's significant enough to justify the price difference if you really want FL.

User avatar
Indifferent
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

Postby Indifferent » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:58 pm

268Life wrote:UF dominates this area when it comes to BigLaw though.

If you really want biglaw, UF has the best placement.

That being said, UF students outside of the top 15% after 1L are going to have a tough time landing biglaw.

Probably not a great reason to justify going to UF.

Jess101
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

Postby Jess101 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:01 pm

flem wrote:
Jess101 wrote:
Yes because people who go to UF tax LLM are all fucked....

Also if you are not going to use the total employment UF does not come in that much better @ 73.4%


I'm talking about LLMs at Stetson. Florida has a great LLM program.

And UF isn't a great option either but their placement is stronger. Also Florida placed almost 17% into firms of 50+. That's significant enough to justify the price difference if you really want FL.

Kirstie xoxo
Last edited by Jess101 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: UF (sticker price) v FSU (half ride) v Stetson (Full Ride)?

Postby flem » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:03 pm

Jess101 wrote:
flem wrote:
Jess101 wrote:
Yes because people who go to UF tax LLM are all fucked....

Also if you are not going to use the total employment UF does not come in that much better @ 73.4%


I'm talking about LLMs at Stetson. Florida has a great LLM program.

And UF isn't a great option either but their placement is stronger. Also Florida placed almost 17% into firms of 50+. That's significant enough to justify the price difference if you really want FL.


3.3% pursuing graduate school does not mean they are at stetson.... Again most firms in Central florida don't have 50+ attorneys and the Mid Law that doesn't exist does exist here go on martindale there are way more firms with 15-30 attorneys who have associates with 07 08 09 10 graduating years than the Carlton Fields etc.

I am not trying to claim that Stetson is any better than UF/FSU. I just think people really write it off as shitty when its not that bad. I do think its better or equal to UM but that is just my opinion.... If you want big law go to UF/FSU. If you are shooting for 30 attorney insurance defense stetson is not that bad...


I concede that point on where they are pursuing degrees, but it's well known schools offer discounted LLM programs to graduates that are in trouble with the job search.

I still think FSU is the best option here. UF is NOT worth 30K more than a peer school in the same region.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: stego and 2 guests