UC Davis vs. UIUC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UC Davis or UIUC?

UC Davis
69%
UIUC
31%

Total votes: 16

butifuldisastr

UC Davis vs. UIUC

Postby butifuldisastr » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:13 pm

Yeah, another one of these....narrowed it down to UC Davis and UIUC and am stuck. Visited both, liked them both.

UC Davis:

Pros:
- I'm from CA, have ties in CA, love it and could see myself staying here forever (family is also 45 mins away, which would be comforting)

Cons:
- northern CA market really sucks. Am terrified of not being able to get a decent job in this CA market
- as of now, not getting any $$ (although, costs will be taken care of by family, so I won't have any debt after LS, but still the thought of sticker for davis...yikes)
- according to the ABA employment stats for 2010, only 59% of grads were employed FULL TIME

UIUC:

Pros:
- seems to have decent placement in Chicago
- half tuition scholarship

Cons:
- no ties
- ABA employment stats still not GREAT: I believe around 75% Full time

I know BIGLaw isn't great from either at these schools, although slightly better at UIUC. I'm thinking of public interest or health law, but who really knows at this point. Although I'd love to stay in CA, if I can't get a job (or a only a terrible one), then staying isn't really worth it, imo. So yes, I'd be open to Chicago.

NOW, WHAT DO I DO? Stay in CA and go to Davis, and hope for the best, or make the move to the midwest?

Mr. Somebody

Re: UC Davis vs. UIUC

Postby Mr. Somebody » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:22 pm

These are both really bad options. Have you tried negotiating with Davis and showing them uiuc offer?

ETA whoops didn't read it all I guess. Go with Davis if you'll have no debt

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:26 pm

+1 to trying to negotiate with Davis.

Just to clarify - is your family paying for LS regardless of which school you choose or only for Davis?

illini22

Postby illini22 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:33 pm

Last edited by illini22 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

illini22

Postby illini22 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:35 pm

Do you care about how much your family pays?

I think you should think this as the risk of each school, UIUC places better overall but in no way possible will give you the same chances in CA than Davis. However, like you noted, you dont mind Chicago, and once you have a job, lateraling after just one year becomes an option (from what I heard lateraling is FAIRLY EASY, but you need to have a big law job first).

If you are SET on public interest, look at the LRAP from each school and compare what would be better for you. But again, so many people come in with public interest in mind and leave for a firm. A reason I hear often is that even if you want public interest down the road, is better to do firm for a few years and you can get a better public interest position thereafter. For all that is worth, we do have a fairly large amount of people from Cali, and is our "second state" for placement, even though its pretty small (but that could also be self-placement as people from Cali and the ones likely going back).

Look at the risk about No Job/likely Job in both schools, plus how much you (family) are paying, and whether you would feel comfortable living in Chicago at least for a while (which will be a likely scenario out of UIUC)

butifuldisastr

Postby butifuldisastr » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:45 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:+1 to trying to negotiate with Davis.

Just to clarify - is your family paying for LS regardless of which school you choose or only for Davis?

Definitely trying to negotiate with Davis - I did let them know about UIUC scholarship offer as well as other comparable offers from various other peer schools. Haven't heard anything yet...SUPER frustrating.

And yes, my family is paying for LS regardless of where I go. It's just difficult justifying them paying $50,000+!

Thank you for all the responses thus far!!

Betharl

Postby Betharl » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:27 pm

On the one hand, if you take everything else out of the equation, you have a half scholarship at a slightly better school vs sticker at the slightly worse school. Seems like a pretty easy decision. On the other hand, once you take into account your CA preferences (for school and employment), things get a little more complicated. I don't know that anyone will really be able to make this call for you, it all just depends on the value you personally put on staying close to family etc. vs. slightly better prospects for less cost and moving to the midwest.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”