GULC v UCLA v Cornell

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jeninamillion

GULC v UCLA v Cornell

Postby jeninamillion » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:59 pm

I thought I had it figured out between GULC and UCLA but I just got the email from Cornell. I want to do big law in NY, but I'm wary of Cornell because I'm more of a city girl. Thoughts?

Edited for spelling corrections.
Last edited by jeninamillion on Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

crit_racer

Re: GULC v UCLA v Cornell

Postby crit_racer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:08 pm

auto-correct, auto-self promotion?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:17 pm

with these options I took cornell last year. There was a substantial difference in the schools for the class of 2010:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=183011

not sure what this looks like for 2011, I know Cornell got hammered like everyone else but not sure if gtown or ucla did better than cornell. I've only ever lived in big cities myself before moving here but I really like Ithaca a lot.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:19 pm

jeninamillion wrote:I thought iPad it figud out between GULC and UCLAbut I just got the email from Cornell. I want to do big law in NY, but I'm wary of Cornell because I'm more of a city girl. Thoughts?

Cornell, not even close.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:20 pm

splitsplat wrote:
jeninamillion wrote:I thought iPad it figud out between GULC and UCLAbut I just got the email from Cornell. I want to do big law in NY, but I'm wary of Cornell because I'm more of a city girl. Thoughts?

Cornell, not even close.

This.

jeninamillion

Postby jeninamillion » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:02 am

bk1 wrote:
splitsplat wrote:

Cornell, not even close.

This.

I'm worried more about the quality of life of Cornell v GULC. Is there a big enough difference between employment stats in NY betweeb Cornell and GULC to justify spending 3 years in Cornell? I already visited GULC and I loved the area.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:16 am

jeninamillion wrote:I'm worried more about the quality of life of Cornell v GULC. Is there a big enough difference between employment stats in NY betweeb Cornell and GULC to justify spending 3 years in Cornell? I already visited GULC and I loved the area.

It's close, but I would hedge my bets with Cornell. My thoughts on GULC's employment states: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=182041#p5384455

It seems like Cornell has generally done better than GULC after the recession. Cornell also likely has a better rep than GULC in NYC (which is where you want to work). Paying sticker means I would take that kind of advantage even if it isn't huge. If you wanted to work in notNYC or notbiglaw I think it'd be a wash, but since you want both NYC and biglaw I would take Cornell.

Then again, a lot of people think that quality of life is important. For me I'd go to law school in the middle of Antarctica even if it meant only a small boost in employability (considering T14's cost around 250k+ in debt by the time you graduate). I could see an argument for GULC (based on my thoughts in the above link) but I personally wouldn't risk it.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:31 am

I think the employment stats are different enough to justify Cornell even if you liked the 'quality of life' at GULC more.
Cornell actually places the most grads into firms 500+ in size of all law schools and as a percentage of the class, is nearly double what GULC places at.

see: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... d3c&gid=11

ginalove

Postby ginalove » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:33 am

-edited by mod-

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:44 am

jeninamillion wrote:I thought I had it figured out between GULC and UCLA but I just got the email from Cornell. I want to do big law in NY, but I'm wary of Cornell because I'm more of a city girl. Thoughts?

Edited for spelling corrections.

Cornell by a long shot. And congrats on the nick-of-time acceptance!

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:46 am

jeninamillion wrote:
I'm worried more about the quality of life of Cornell v GULC. Is there a big enough difference between employment stats in NY betweeb Cornell and GULC to justify spending 3 years in Cornell? I already visited GULC and I loved the area.

Actually, yes. and don't worry so much about quality of life... Ithaca isn't as rural feeling as you're thinking it is.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:55 am

jeninamillion wrote:
bk1 wrote:
splitsplat wrote:

Cornell, not even close.

This.

Made this decision last year for the same reasons as you I chose GULC. I'm happy with my choice now, love DC but that could def. change this fall. I will say this though, in a conversation with a partner at a firm, he asked me where I else I was looking when applying and I told him it came down to Cornell and GULC and he said "really?" very confused lol (edit: he went to a T2).

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:07 am

Any money from either? I'd ask both for money and go to whichever one obliged.

jeninamillion

Postby jeninamillion » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:53 am

Yeah, I was expecting a waitlist or rejection since it was so late. I wanted to have enough time before the deposit was due at Cornell to visit, but I have like 4 days to decide. Does anyone know if they will extend the deadline? I think I'm leaning more towards Cornell due to my gut feeling and the responses

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:13 am

jeninamillion wrote:Yeah, I was expecting a waitlist or rejection since it was so late. I wanted to have enough time before the deposit was due at Cornell to visit, but I have like 4 days to decide. Does anyone know if they will extend the deadline? I think I'm leaning more towards Cornell due to my gut feeling and the responses

Cornell is the safer choice. But you should definitely ask for money from both and extensions on the seat deposits until you get your award package. The worst they can say is no.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:16 am

jeninamillion wrote:
bk1 wrote:
splitsplat wrote:

Cornell, not even close.

This.

Well you won't actually be spending three years here. The vast majority of people don't live here for summer. You can also spend a semester away from Ithaca working as an extern anywhere in the US or abroad. You can also spend a semester studying abroad.

You should ask for an extension from Cornell so that you can come visit. Ithaca really isn't that bad, like I said I've lived in cities until I lived here and I really like it.

Heads up if you visit, its finals time next week so everyone will look miserable. We aren't all unhappy year round haha.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”