Family law/ adoption law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kbf239

New

Family law/ adoption law

Post by kbf239 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:22 pm

6 months ago I decided to pursue a JD instead of getting a MSW. I want to work in the field of adoption, and have some experience working in domestic private agencies and at an adoption institute. I go to NYU and I am majoring in Politics with a minor in Social Work. I have a strong GPA, and will be taking the LSAT in June. I am not the best test taker, uncertain what I will score due to nerves, but probably somewhere in between 157 to 162.
I will be applying to schools over the summer, depending on how well I do on the LSAT.
I am in need of some advice on what sort of mindset to have when looking at schools. Should I be looking at the best schools (dream would be UT Austin, however, this my LSAT score may not be up to par) or if a school that is mediocre in a somewhat populous area where I could get a decent internship where I would like to practice. Although I am good student, I would prefer not to go to a highly competitive school. However, I understand when it comes to getting a decent job, it may be difficult securing one in a less prestigious school.
If anyone has experience or insight into family law, I would greatly appreciate it!

cinephile

Gold

Re: Family law/ adoption law

Post by cinephile » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:35 pm

If you're going to be pursuing a lower-paying type job (not that all family law is lower-paying, but on average . . . ) you'd want to be taking on as little debt as possible.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:00 pm

cinephile wrote:If you're going to be pursuing a lower-paying type job (not that all family law is lower-paying, but on average . . . ) you'd want to be taking on as little debt as possible.
TITCR
Take a prep course, take the LSAT (maybe surprise yourself?), then look at schools in the region where you want to live and hope for a big scholly.

Seriously, before anyone can give you advice you need three things:
1) (estimated) GPA
2) LSAT
3) region where you want to work/live

reepS

New

Post by reepS » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:14 pm

Does anyone know what the average starting income is for family lawyers? If region matters, then how about DFW/Texas?

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:28 pm

kbf239 wrote:
I will be applying to schools over the summer
Most schools don't begin accepting applications until September or early October.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”