Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jazzman69

New

Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Post by jazzman69 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:18 pm

Short and sweet. What do I do? I had my heart set on living in NYC, but I just learned of Penn's full ride offer and I only have 2 days to decide. I will call Columbia and NYU to re-negotiate, but I would have to take out loans to pay for any amount of uncovered tuition, and I am planning to enter non-lucrative legal areas (AKA public defense work, education policy, and the like - I'm not gonna be looking for a job at Skadden).

Thoughts? Is Penn truly a no-brainer?

bk1

Diamond

Re: Penn (full ride) vs. Columbia ($50k) vs. NYU (aid is pending

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:19 pm

jazzman69 wrote:Is Penn truly a no-brainer?
Yes.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:21 pm

Absolutely take Penn.

jazzman69

New

Post by jazzman69 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:24 pm

Thanks for the rapid reply!

Let me refine my question: What amount of money should I need to see from NYU or CLS before I would even consider turning down Penn's full ride?

Considering that I have no money, will not have high paying job, but prefer those two schools to Penn for a variety of reasons (not even prestige as much as location).

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:28 pm

jazzman69 wrote:Let me refine my question: What amount of money should I need to see from NYU or CLS before I would even consider turning down Penn's full ride?
Probably more than 100k. If the difference between the schools is 15k/year or less (including the difference in cost of living) you could start considering NYU/CLS. Personally I would take Penn unless the difference was 10k/year or less.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:10 pm

jazzman69 wrote:Thanks for the rapid reply!

Let me refine my question: What amount of money should I need to see from NYU or CLS before I would even consider turning down Penn's full ride?

Considering that I have no money, will not have high paying job, but prefer those two schools to Penn for a variety of reasons (not even prestige as much as location).
With the money you'll save you could take the Acela to class from Manhattan every day still have money left over. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Damn, law students are terrible at CBA.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:37 pm

bk187 wrote:
Yes.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:39 pm

100% Penn

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:49 pm

Penn. No contest.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dato

New

Post by Dato » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:07 pm

Last edited by Dato on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b33eazy

Bronze

Post by b33eazy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:19 pm

I think you should factor in money, but it's about more than money. Is this scholarship dependent on grades? If so, that is something you should consider. Because i know of students losing scholarships because they could not maintain certain grades. Also, I think you should really go to a school that makes you happy. If you only choose a school because of finances, you may not do as well because you are not as happy. That should be factored in. I also want to go to law school in New York, so I would be leaning towards NYC law schools. What I think you should do is try your best to negotiate the costs down at NYU.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:26 pm

b33eazy wrote:I think you should factor in money, but it's about more than money. Is this scholarship dependent on grades? If so, that is something you should consider. Because i know of students losing scholarships because they could not maintain certain grades. Also, I think you should really go to a school that makes you happy. If you only choose a school because of finances, you may not do as well because you are not as happy. That should be factored in. I also want to go to law school in New York, so I would be leaning towards NYC law schools. What I think you should do is try your best to negotiate the costs down at NYU.
It's only shithole schools that require more than good academic standing to retain your scholarship.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:31 pm

b33eazy wrote:I think you should factor in money, but it's about more than money. Is this scholarship dependent on grades? If so, that is something you should consider. Because i know of students losing scholarships because they could not maintain certain grades. Also, I think you should really go to a school that makes you happy. If you only choose a school because of finances, you may not do as well because you are not as happy. That should be factored in. I also want to go to law school in New York, so I would be leaning towards NYC law schools. What I think you should do is try your best to negotiate the costs down at NYU.
Law school is law school. I very much doubt that his experience will be very different between Penn, CLS, and NYU, and if "happiness" is worth $100k to you, you either need to be a millionaire or get over yourself. Penn has great employment statistics, will leave OP with very little debt, and probably has the same type of students that CLS/NYU have, and that should make OP happy. He has his whole life to live in NYC, and Penn can get him there without crushing debt.

He'd be wise to negotiate with NYU, but barring any extremely surprising generosity on their part, he'd be foolish not to choose Penn.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:33 pm

Dany wrote:He'd be wise to negotiate with NYU, but barring any extremely surprising generosity on their part, he'd be foolish not to choose Penn.
TCR. Considering Toll fellowships are not stat based, I doubt NYU is just going to offer him a matching RTK.

jazzman69

New

Post by jazzman69 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:52 pm

Thanks for the responses, guys! It's not a Toll fellowship, although I don't feel like revealing too much more. Looks like Penn is the unanimously approved choice.

roaringeagle

Bronze

Post by roaringeagle » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:54 pm

Penn.

EDIT: If you really want public defender work you should check out the loan forgiveness at Columbia and NYU. I do not know if they are comprehensive or not. My instinct is Penn because then you can change your mind with little debt.
Last edited by roaringeagle on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:56 pm

Nelson wrote:
Dany wrote:He'd be wise to negotiate with NYU, but barring any extremely surprising generosity on their part, he'd be foolish not to choose Penn.
TCR. Considering Toll fellowships are not stat based, I doubt NYU is just going to offer him a matching RTK.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:58 pm

Dany wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Yes.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:58 pm

jazzman69 wrote:Thanks for the responses, guys! It's not a Toll fellowship, although I don't feel like revealing too much more. Looks like Penn is the unanimously approved choice.
Congrats on the awesome offer!

b33eazy

Bronze

Post by b33eazy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:59 pm

Dany wrote:
Law school is law school. I very much doubt that his experience will be very different between Penn, CLS, and NYU, and if "happiness" is worth $100k to you, you either need to be a millionaire or get over yourself. Penn has great employment statistics, will leave OP with very little debt, and probably has the same type of students that CLS/NYU have, and that should make OP happy. He has his whole life to live in NYC, and Penn can get him there without crushing debt.

He'd be wise to negotiate with NYU, but barring any extremely surprising generosity on their part, he'd be foolish not to choose Penn.
Law school is NOT law school. There are CLEAR differences. Some people are not just as happy in certain areas. For example, I have classmates who dropped out of undergrad/law school because of their surroundings. Also, if what your saying truly was the case, the poster would not have made this thread and would have taken Penn. He wants to take Columbia or NYU and there's nothing wrong with that. However, I do understand where you are coming from, but debt should not be the only thing that should be considered. I read on this board domes of times where posters pick Harvard over a full ride at NYU. Debt is just one factor.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:03 pm

b33eazy wrote:I read on this board domes of times where posters pick Harvard over a full ride at NYU. Debt is just one factor.
Taking Harvard over NYU full ride is justifiable (though I think questionable). Taking NYU over Penn full ride is insane.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:03 pm

b33eazy wrote:
Dany wrote:

Law school is NOT law school. There are CLEAR differences. Some people are not just as happy in certain areas. For example, I have classmates who dropped out of undergrad/law school because of their surroundings. Also, if what your saying truly was the case, the poster would not have made this thread and would have taken Penn. He wants to take Columbia or NYU and there's nothing wrong with that. However, I do understand where you are coming from, but debt should not be the only thing that should be considered. I read on this board domes of times where posters pick Harvard over a full ride at NYU. Debt is just one factor.
Get back to me when you've actually attended a law school.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:04 pm

b33eazy wrote:
Dany wrote:

I'm old school, and completely unempathetic to the whole "find your happiness" thing. Sorry, but kids can suck it up and deal with their surroundings for 3 years when it means 6 figures less of debt. Not like we are talking NYC vs. cow country here. If some kid had such thin skin that they "just couldn't bear the soul-draining unhappiness" of Philly when compared to NYC, I'd smack that kid upside his delusional head. Its the same delusional mindset that is making so many college grads unemployed/underemployed nowadays. Sometimes you have to put your feet on the ground for a moment, and think practically.
Last edited by kaiser on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:09 pm

b33eazy wrote:
Dany wrote:

But these schools are filled with virtually the same type of person. They are in similar environments (urban, east coast cities). They also have fairly similar job placement. CLS/NYU is a bit better, but its a matter of degree. There are some jobs Harvard really kills that NYU doesn't do well. (But I honestly think NYU $$$ >> Harvard at sticker, just because some people make bad choices doesn't mean it is valid). They even place similarly in the their target markets.

You say people drop out of school because of their surroundings, but that has no affect on this choice. Because OP doesn't know which school would be better. Especially since they are virtually identical.

justicefishy

Bronze

Post by justicefishy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:20 pm

I'd say go to NYU and let me have some of that delicious scholarship money buuuuut....the right answer is going to Penn :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”