Removed

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
54lzy

Removed

Postby 54lzy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:43 am

Removed
Last edited by 54lzy on Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrAnon

Re: St. Johns (Full-Ride) or Brooklyn Law($45k)

Postby MrAnon » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:47 am

54lzy wrote:I recently received an email that Brooklyn upped my scholarship offer significantly to $45k per year. I have heard its very hard to keep your scholarship there (and anywhere for that matter). I have never been the best student, I have about a 3.2-3.3 but I consider myself bright. I am currently working until the fall and will continue with a work type mentality when I begin law school as I don't want to lose my scholarship wherever I end up. That being said, what are your opinions on St. John's with a full ride versus Brooklyn Law at $45k? Thank you.

I wouldn't take either. I think any job you have will over a lifetime closely rival the earnings you could make from these schools, accounting for debt and cost of attendance and anything else.

Wily

Postby Wily » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:55 am

I am in a similar situation - full-ride at St. John's vs $30,000 a year at Cardozo, and I chose Cardozo (but am retaking the LSAT in June).

What are the stipulations for your schools? Isn't St. John's top 40%? I chose Cardozo partly because it has a generous top 80% stipulation, but I'm not sure what BLS's stips are. Because BLS is basically offering you a full scholarship, barring a major difference in stips I wouldn't see much reason not to attend it over St. John's, given its better rankings and placement.

flem

Postby flem » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:00 pm

54lzy wrote:I recently received an email that Brooklyn upped my scholarship offer significantly to $45k per year. I have heard its very hard to keep your scholarship there (and anywhere for that matter). I have never been the best student, I have about a 3.2-3.3 but I consider myself bright. I am currently working until the fall and will continue with a work type mentality when I begin law school as I don't want to lose my scholarship wherever I end up. That being said, what are your opinions on St. John's with a full ride versus Brooklyn Law at $45k? Thank you.

Other options and career goals? Location preference? LSAT/GPA?

These sound like good deals, but not when you consider the very possible outcome of being un/underemployed at the end of it. Free school is only good if it results in good legal employment at the conclusion.

54lzy

Postby 54lzy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:04 pm

I got a 163 on the LSAT and have about a 3.3 GPA. I'm aware that there is a good chance I will be unemployed, but law school is something I want to do. My thought is that I have a better chance of keeping the scholarship at St. John's rather than Brooklyn. Do you all think this is a correct assumption? My biggest fear is going to a lower ranked school but then losing the scholarship.

flem

Postby flem » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:10 pm

54lzy wrote:I got a 163 on the LSAT and have about a 3.3 GPA. I'm aware that there is a good chance I will be unemployed, but law school is something I want to do. My thought is that I have a better chance of keeping the scholarship at St. John's rather than Brooklyn. Do you all think this is a correct assumption? My biggest fear is going to a lower ranked school but then losing the scholarship.

Look into scholarship stipulations at each and then pick the easier one.

Alternatively, consider retaking the lsat and opening up better options. Not being a dick, but it's so hard out there anyway - you want to put yourself in the best position to succeed. Brooklyn is, at best, the 6th best school in NYC. If you really want to go to law school, I assume you want to become a lawyer. Understand that only ~50% of newly minted JDs find full time, bar required, legal employment. You're not making things easy on yourself this way.

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:11 pm

You gotta tell us what the stipulations are.

54lzy

Postby 54lzy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:29 pm

Here are the scholarship stipulations:

For St Johns
Recipients must now rank in the top 40% of the class after each academic year to retain 100% of their scholarship, the top 55% of the class after each academic year to retain 75% of their scholarship, or the top 65% of the class after each academic year to retain 55% of their scholarship. Because we will not have data regarding scholarship retention with the new Fall 2011 retention parameters until Summer 2012, the statistics below are the estimated retention statistics, as applied to the Fall 2010 incoming class:

Portion of Scholarship Renewed: 100%

Class rank required: Upper 40%
GPA cut-off: 3.229 (full-time), 3.338 (part-time)
Number of scholarships renewed at this percentage after first year: 92
Percentage of total first-year scholarships renewed at this percentage: 45.1%

For Brookyln
edit: I need to be in the top 80% to keep the scholarship. Much easier.
Last edited by 54lzy on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flem

Postby flem » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:32 pm

54lzy wrote:Here are the scholarship stipulations:

For St Johns

Percentage of total first-year scholarships renewed at this percentage: 45.1%

That should scare the shit out of you. Less than half get the full amount renewed? Fuck that noise bruh.

54lzy wrote:For Brookyln
Reading their site it seems like I need to be in the upper 20% and it does not look like I can keep part of it if I fall below that.

Are you sure Brooklyn's isn't top 80%? I think I remember reading that it was.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:28 pm

is it going to cost 45k? after scholarship. IS 45k your scholarship?

How much the scholarship is is irrelevant. ALl that matters is how much it will cost.

Douches love posting the amount of money that got offered. THATS FUCKIGN IRRELAVANT. Tell us how much it will cost you.

lawstudent06789

Postby lawstudent06789 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:32 pm

woh dudes BLS stip is top 80% of class... 45k is just about full tuition... go to BLS.

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:44 pm

Brooklyn: better school, better scholarship, better neighborhood, better everything. Not even an issue here, now that you've posted the stipulations.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”