NYU vs. Penn vs. Michigan ($) vs. Duke ($) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
80eight

Bronze

NYU vs. Penn vs. Michigan ($) vs. Duke ($)

Post by 80eight » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:26 pm

EDIT: actually, sorry guys, I'm already getting uncomfortable with even this super-vague information about me up on the internet. Thought twice, I'm taking it down. Thanks to those who have already given some advice!
Last edited by 80eight on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: NYU vs. Penn vs. Michigan ($) vs. Duke ($)

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:36 pm

This doesn't make sense to me. Do you own a home outright or have a huge trust fund? Have you actually checked with NYU that you won't qualify for their LRAP? It requires having less than $20,000 net assets. Your student loans are liabilities against that, so if you borrow $200k you have to have assets of $220k+ to be disqualified.

Anyway, if you are in a position like this then maybe the money doesn't matter, but the fact that you're asking suggests otherwise. I would certainly not borrow a lot of money to go into PI if you aren't going to get LRAP relief (from any of these schools) but the nuances of your apparently exceptional situation might change that answer.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:39 pm

I would probably pay sticker for NYU if you have a strong East Coast preference. Knowing yor numbers would help to know if a retake is worth it.

ETA with a 3.5 I would just go if you actually want to be a lawyer. You aren't going to get much money anywhere.
Last edited by Nelson on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swoozie

Bronze

Post by swoozie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:39 pm

Hi! I remember first seeing you a long time ago -- pre-applications, I think! I agree it might be the GPA holding the scholly money off (I received very similar offers). Did you negotiate with Penn? They gave me a very small offer ($10k /yr) when I sent in my competing offers (I also got $45k total from Mich).

I don't know much about PI, sorry. But I thought most people go for NYU's PI program specifically because of their good LRAP, so if you don't qualify, I'm not sure NYU is worth sticker (especially since the cost of living is so high also). Haha my post probably isn't too useful, and I can't even decide myself where to go yet, but I recognized your name and thought I'd chime in.

80eight

Bronze

Post by 80eight » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:48 pm

Thanks, everybody, for your input.

Re: money, it isn't an issue per se, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't consider the practicality of my choice at all.

I do want to be a lawyer. I've spent the last two years researching and talking to people. I don't know much about other career paths, but perhaps I would also be happy doing something else. It's hard to say since I haven't tried everything, you know?

Hey, Swoozie! I remember! Leaning any direction at all for school? I did try negotiating, but unfortunately, no luck...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

swoozie

Bronze

Post by swoozie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:31 pm

I see you already took down your first post, but anyways...yeah, I'm sort of split 4 ways between schools at this point, and like some other people have said, I think I could probably be happy at any of them. Really no idea...ugh.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:05 pm

swoozie wrote:I see you already took down your first post, but anyways...yeah, I'm sort of split 4 ways between schools at this point, and like some other people have said, I think I could probably be happy at any of them. Really no idea...ugh.
If you absolutely can't decide, here's my advice. Eliminate Penn, at equal cost, NYU is worth it (even with the higher COA). I would probably pick Michigan over Duke if they are equal money, but that is mostly a matter of preference. I would still probably pick NYU unless Michigan/Duke was offering at least $30k more, probably $50k.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”