Duke ($45k) v Michigan (45k)v Vandy (75k)--> UPDATE Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which Law School?

Duke ($45k)
29%
Michigan (45k)
57%
Vandy (75k)
13%
GULC ($0)
1%

Total votes: 129

droidtime

New

Re: Duke ($45k) v Michigan (45k)v Vandy (75k)--> UPDATE

Post by droidtime » Thu May 17, 2012 12:30 pm

Since you want to work in the South and Duke matched, Duke makes the most sense. Cheers!

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Thu May 17, 2012 3:00 pm

TMC116 wrote:Is there a wrong decision here between Duke and UM? Does the fact that duke isn't in the same T14 "tier" as Michigan make any difference

Thanks for the input
There's no wrong decision between the two, given your strong ties to the South. The rankings difference is also meaningless for UM and Duke.

roaringeagle

Bronze

Post by roaringeagle » Thu May 17, 2012 3:07 pm

Go to Duke. Michigan is fucking cold.

Cartman

Bronze

Post by Cartman » Thu May 17, 2012 5:34 pm

For what you want (the south): Duke.

Congrats on getting the scholly matched. Enjoy Durham, NC!

Edit: Also, because you asked, the rankings difference is negligible. If you want the south, go to Duke. I would also add that I'd bet a large number of people voted for Mich before Duke matched the scholly. Now that they did I would imagine that poll would swing the other way.

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Fri May 18, 2012 4:35 am

Cartman wrote:For what you want (the south): Duke.

Edit: Also, because you asked, the rankings difference is negligible. If you want the south, go to Duke. I would also add that I'd bet a large number of people voted for Mich before Duke matched the scholly. Now that they did I would imagine that poll would swing the other way.
^^^

Full disclosure for Cartman: He's on the UMich WL and wants to go there really badly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Revolver066

Bronze

Post by Revolver066 » Fri May 18, 2012 5:21 am

JasonR wrote:

^^^

Full disclosure for Cartman: He's on the UMich WL and wants to go there really badly.
lol, my first thought was it's kind of a dickish move to call out another poster like that, but in examining his post history you may have a point.

FWIW I'd go to Duke w/ the 45k +50k family help, unless you really love Mich or loathe Duke.

tstev89

New

Post by tstev89 » Fri May 18, 2012 5:25 am

droidtime wrote:Since you want to work in the South and Duke matched, Duke makes the most sense. Cheers!
My thoughts exactly. Enjoy Durham!

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Fri May 18, 2012 5:53 am

Revolver066 wrote:
JasonR wrote:

^^^

lol, my first thought was it's kind of a dickish move to call out another poster like that, but in examining his post history you may have a point.

FWIW I'd go to Duke w/ the 45k +50k family help, unless you really love Mich or loathe Duke.
Yeah, it's certainly more than one incident, and it hasn't stopped him from giving clearly bad advice elsewhere. I can't say I blame the dude for trying everything at his disposal, but his advice is not offered in the interest of what's best for the person he's addressing, so I also don't feel at all bad for saying something, either

TMC116

Bronze

Post by TMC116 » Fri May 18, 2012 8:33 am

JasonR wrote:
Revolver066 wrote:
JasonR wrote:

^^^

Yeah, it's certainly more than one incident, and it hasn't stopped him from giving clearly bad advice elsewhere. I can't say I blame the dude for trying everything at his disposal, but his advice is not offered in the interest of what's best for the person he's addressing, so I also don't feel at all bad for saying something, either

So Jason, what would you do in my situation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri May 18, 2012 10:17 am

In fairness, though, Cartman's advice is pretty spot-on here. OP essentially has two schools with equal national placement and at equal cost, but one school makes it easier to land in his target market. So, barring any fit/culture issues, it makes sense to attend that school.

heeloftar

New

Post by heeloftar » Fri May 18, 2012 10:24 am

Go to Duke and live in Chapel Hill. The 15 minute commute is well worth it.

TrialLawyer16

Bronze

Post by TrialLawyer16 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:45 am

Switched my vote from Michigan to Duke in light of the scholarship match (since you want to work in the south). You should edit the scholarship info in the poll, if possible.

TMC116

Bronze

Post by TMC116 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:48 am

Fixed. Thanks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Fri May 18, 2012 5:48 pm

TMC116 wrote: So Jason, what would you do in my situation.
My initial advice is on page 1, and my updated advice was already offered near the top of this page. I think it's close enough, given your all-important ties to the South, that you can pick either one and feel completely comfortable about it, in the event that you strongly prefer one over the other. If personal preference is more or less even, I'd lean to Duke.

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Fri May 18, 2012 5:49 pm

beachbum wrote:In fairness, though, Cartman's advice is pretty spot-on here.
That may be so (and I certainly never said otherwise), but that's also purely incidental.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri May 18, 2012 5:58 pm

JasonR wrote:
That may be so (and I certainly never said otherwise), but that's also purely incidental.
...Ok, but you're still calling him out in a thread where he provided pretty solid advice. Doesn't really seem appropriate here.

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Fri May 18, 2012 6:54 pm

beachbum wrote:
JasonR wrote:
...Ok, but you're still calling him out in a thread where he provided pretty solid advice. Doesn't really seem appropriate here.
Uh, no, it's perfectly appropriate. Regardless of the soundness of his advice in this particular case, it is more than fair to note his intentions, because his advice is offered in bad faith -- it uniformly aligns with his self-interest and only incidentally (in the positive cases) with the best interests of the person to whom he is responding, as the bad advice he has offered makes perfectly clear.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri May 18, 2012 7:39 pm

Regardless of the petty bickering, Duke is the best option in light of the OP's interests. Cartman offered solid, well-intentioned advice in my opinion.

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Fri May 18, 2012 7:51 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Cartman offered solid, well-intentioned advice in my opinion.
Fixed, more or less.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri May 18, 2012 8:09 pm

Congratulations mind reader !

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Fri May 18, 2012 8:41 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Congratulations mind reader !
Too funny. Which version of your own post comments on his motivations -- yours or mine? :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri May 18, 2012 9:47 pm

JasonR wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Congratulations mind reader !
Too funny. Which version of your own post comments on his motivations -- yours or mine? :lol:
Dude, stop being a douche. The guy gave good advice; there was no reason to call him out, regardless of his behavior in other threads. We don't need you following him around like a TLS rent-a-cop.

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Fri May 18, 2012 10:04 pm

Are you under some misguided impression that I care at all whether or not you approve of my posting? :lol: I think someone who posts on this board just to direct people to choices that benefit him deserves to be called out whenever they speak as long as that douchiness is going on. You disagree. That's cool. But your opinion and approval truly do not matter to me.

Carry on.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri May 18, 2012 10:36 pm

JasonR wrote:Are you under some misguided impression that I care at all whether or not you approve of my posting? :lol: I think someone who posts on this board just to direct people to choices that benefit him deserves to be called out whenever they speak until that crappy behavior changes. You disagree. That's cool. But your opinion and approval do not matter to me.

Carry on.
No, I don't particularly worry about your feelings. I'm just calling a douche a douche, and doing a little white knighting for my dude cartman, who didn't deserve to get called out in this thread.

Cartman gave objectively good advice here. Maybe he gives poor advice in other threads, or maybe his motives in this thread weren't pure. I don't particularly care, and I'm not sure why you care when he provided the credited response to OP's situation. But if that's what you need to do to earn your TLS badge, then go for it, brother.

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Fri May 18, 2012 10:57 pm

beachbum wrote:
JasonR wrote:Are you under some misguided impression that I care at all whether or not you approve of my posting? :lol: I think someone who posts on this board just to direct people to choices that benefit him deserves to be called out whenever they speak until that crappy behavior changes. You disagree. That's cool. But your opinion and approval do not matter to me.

Carry on.
No, I don't particularly worry about your feelings. I'm just calling a douche a douche, and doing a little white knighting for my dude cartman, who didn't deserve to get called out in this thread.

Cartman gave objectively good advice here. Maybe he gives poor advice in other threads, or maybe his motives in this thread weren't pure. I don't particularly care, and I'm not sure why you care when he provided the credited response to OP's situation. But if that's what you need to do to earn your TLS badge, then go for it, brother.
Good stuff -- aside from the TLS badge idea, which, with your post count, looks to be much more your concern than mine.

I'll call a douche a douche for defending a guy who consistently only pretends to offer advice, "credited" by circumstance or not. And we can both go home happy. :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”