Alabama (Stipend) v. UT Austin ($25k/year)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
zanzbar

Re: Alabama (Stipend) v. UT Austin ($25k/year)

Postby zanzbar » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:26 am

I was just pointing out that there was an advantage to getting a head start that is all. It all depends on what market OP is aiming for and how debt averse they are:

Alabama is just COL which I know Tuscaloosa is pretty cheap, but also I have no idea about the Alabama legal market.

UT I am not sure if the 75k is tuition or total COA if it is only tuition then OP will prob go over 120k in debt (I lived about 2 blocks away from UT for 8 months, 1,185 a month for a 1 bedroom 550 sq foot apartment. It's not a cheap town to live in.) However, I think an argument can be made that it has a pretty far regional reach in the south. plus you also have Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin (notoriously hard to break into) within a few hours tops. It gives you somewhat of an opportunity at placement outside the south (not T14, but its got some reach.)

T14- I know TLS has this popular sentiment of T14 or bust, or in this case T6, but if you want to work somewhere besides the big markets (DC, Chicago or NY) you should really consider the strong regional school in that area because you will get more scholarship money. I am not really sure if the extra money is worth that much of a boost over the top regional school, especially in the south.

Still I think you should retake in June because if you can get in PT range we are talking the big 3, and I think that is a whole new ballgame. Anyways congrats on the 168, I wish that was my LSAT score.

PrincetonLaw

Postby PrincetonLaw » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:37 am

zanzbar wrote:I was just pointing out that there was an advantage to getting a head start that is all. It all depends on what market OP is aiming for and how debt averse they are:

Alabama is just COL which I know Tuscaloosa is pretty cheap, but also I have no idea about the Alabama legal market.

UT I am not sure if the 75k is tuition or total COA if it is only tuition then OP will prob go over 120k in debt (I lived about 2 blocks away from UT for 8 months, 1,185 a month for a 1 bedroom 550 sq foot apartment. It's not a cheap town to live in.) However, I think an argument can be made that it has a pretty far regional reach in the south. plus you also have Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin (notoriously hard to break into) within a few hours tops. It gives you somewhat of an opportunity at placement outside the south (not T14, but its got some reach.)

T14- I know TLS has this popular sentiment of T14 or bust, or in this case T6, but if you want to work somewhere besides the big markets (DC, Chicago or NY) you should really consider the strong regional school in that area because you will get more scholarship money. I am not really sure if the extra money is worth that much of a boost over the top regional school, especially in the south.

Still I think you should retake in June because if you can get in PT range we are talking the big 3, and I think that is a whole new ballgame. Anyways congrats on the 168, I wish that was my LSAT score.

you're doing it wrong. i went to undergrad here and never paid more than 850. i still live here (hyde park) and pay 635. austin can be done on the cheap.

zanzbar

Postby zanzbar » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:57 pm

It was a stupid situation I was moving for an internship at the state capitol. I literally only had a couple days to find a place to live before I needed to report to work, because my initial housing plans fell through so I was just trying to find a place decently close to the capitol, and it was the only place that popped up when I did a quick apartment search on the internet. I did have 8 grand in scholarships to cover my living expenses so it wasn't too bad, but living in West Campus sucked.

PrincetonLaw

Postby PrincetonLaw » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:03 pm

zanzbar wrote:It was a stupid situation I was moving for an internship at the state capitol. I literally only had a couple days to find a place to live before I needed to report to work, because my initial housing plans fell through so I was just trying to find a place decently close to the capitol, and it was the only place that popped up when I did a quick apartment search on the internet. I did have 8 grand in scholarships to cover my living expenses so it wasn't too bad, but living in West Campus sucked.

understandable. IMO, west campus was awesome as an undergrad, but i love the quirky residential feel of hyde park. i also like living in a house with a yard.

akili

Postby akili » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:03 pm

zanzbar wrote:It was a stupid situation I was moving for an internship at the state capitol. I literally only had a couple days to find a place to live before I needed to report to work, because my initial housing plans fell through so I was just trying to find a place decently close to the capitol, and it was the only place that popped up when I did a quick apartment search on the internet. I did have 8 grand in scholarships to cover my living expenses so it wasn't too bad, but living in West Campus sucked.

That's valid, but I wouldn't tell people that's what it costs to live in Austin based off that...

zanzbar

Postby zanzbar » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:57 pm

Its going to be a noticeable difference over Alabama in terms of COL. With food, transportation, entertainment(alcohol) and books for 3 years I think 45,000 is a decent estimate. Even at 625 thats still 22,500 over 3 years in rent alone.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”