Florida vs. Marquette ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
alexandra23

Florida vs. Marquette ($)

Postby alexandra23 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:40 pm

First of all, I'm from Wisconsin and while I don't know where I want to eventually live, I would not mind staying here. My family vacations in Florida a few times a year, so I am fairly familiar with the state but don't know if I'd actually want to live there. Essentially no connections in Florida.

Got offered a substantial scholarship to Marquette and no money to Florida. What do you think I should do?

alexandra23

Re: Florida vs. Marquette ($)

Postby alexandra23 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:45 pm

Forgot to say that I would be considered a resident in Florida for 2L and 3L.

Rkl88

Postby Rkl88 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:03 pm

Unless you plan on practicing in Florida or in some regards the southeast, Florida is not a good option. The degree really is not portable outside of Florida. With strong ties to Wisconsin, and a decent scholly, I would go with Marquette- plus you won't have to take the Wisconsin bar!

Its Always Sunny

Postby Its Always Sunny » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:14 pm

alexandra23 wrote:First of all, I'm from Wisconsin and while I don't know where I want to eventually live, I would not mind staying here. My family vacations in Florida a few times a year, so I am fairly familiar with the state but don't know if I'd actually want to live there. Essentially no connections in Florida.

Got offered a substantial scholarship to Marquette and no money to Florida. What do you think I should do?

Florida with no ties and OOS tuition, even for year, is crazy. Also if you go to Florida you have to plan on staying there a few years after graduating. If your from Wisconsin and want to practice there go to a school in Wisconsin or somewhere in the midwest

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:16 pm

Yeah, UF if you wanna live in FL. Marquette if you wanna live in WI. Thats it.

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:21 pm

Its Always Sunny wrote:Florida with no ties and OOS tuition, even for year, is crazy. Also if you go to Florida you have to plan on staying there a few years after graduating. If your from Wisconsin and want to practice there go to a school in Wisconsin or somewhere in the midwest

This. Florida has way too many law schools and law students. I'd also suggest a retake to try to get Wisconsin with $.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:46 pm

1) Don't go to Marquette, especially not for that much.

2) Even with in-state 2L and 3L, UF is not a good option at that cost w no ties to the state.

Retake or don't go.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”