Help! Ohio State or University of Kentucky

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bobkit

Help! Ohio State or University of Kentucky

Postby bobkit » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:50 pm

I am an Ohio Resident from Southern Ohio and will be graduating from an Ohio school. I recently sent in a seat deposit to Kentucky, the day they received it in the mail I got in to Moritz. Then I picked an apartment in Lexington (because I had taken the advice of many and decided UK was for me), next day got a scholarship to OSU. I do not have to worry about paying for either school because I have the money I need after my scholarships. Lexington is very laid back, beautiful, and has everything I could want from a city and more. I am also interested in the Equine Law program and journal although I will probably practice in a more general area of law or work corporate compliance. OSU is ranked 39 (UK is 62) and I think I should consider attending based on that recognition. OSU is not nearly as regional as Kentucky and the median salary outside of school is $40,000 more. I have family ties and connections in both cities and both are 2 hours from my family.

UK made me feel relaxed and at home (extremely important to me, we all know how much 1L will suck) during the ASD, and my application process through OSU has made me feel like just another number. I think I will try to visit Moritz next week, but should I go with my gut into the beautiful Southland or try to be Corporate America with OSU. I am confident both schools are amazing, and I will get a job upon graduation at either school, I just need some healthy discourse.

:D

tolson1

Re: Help! Ohio State or University of Kentucky

Postby tolson1 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:19 pm

bobkit wrote:I am an Ohio Resident from Southern Ohio and will be graduating from an Ohio school. I recently sent in a seat deposit to Kentucky, the day they received it in the mail I got in to Moritz. Then I picked an apartment in Lexington (because I had taken the advice of many and decided UK was for me), next day got a scholarship to OSU. I do not have to worry about paying for either school because I have the money I need after my scholarships. Lexington is very laid back, beautiful, and has everything I could want from a city and more. I am also interested in the Equine Law program and journal although I will probably practice in a more general area of law or work corporate compliance. OSU is ranked 39 (UK is 62) and I think I should consider attending based on that recognition. OSU is not nearly as regional as Kentucky and the median salary outside of school is $40,000 more. I have family ties and connections in both cities and both are 2 hours from my family.

UK made me feel relaxed and at home (extremely important to me, we all know how much 1L will suck) during the ASD, and my application process through OSU has made me feel like just another number. I think I will try to visit Moritz next week, but should I go with my gut into the beautiful Southland or try to be Corporate America with OSU. I am confident both schools are amazing, and I will get a job upon graduation at either school, I just need some healthy discourse.

Did UG at OSU, you will feel like another number.

Rankings/money wise, OSU is better. Lifestyle wise, Kentucky is better. Do what will make you the happiest!

bobkit

Postby bobkit » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:53 pm

Thanks for the help, that is what I am hearing from a lot of people.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:54 pm

Since you're not incurring debt at either, I'd say go where you'd be happiest.

And if you're from Cincinnati, I don't think UK would hurt you in terms of trying to come back.

tolson1

Postby tolson1 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:25 pm

bobkit wrote:Thanks for the help, that is what I am hearing from a lot of people.

Of course, it's a tough decision. For me, it came down to Kentucky and Indianapolis. I honestly felt like I fit better in Indianapolis, and I enjoyed the environment/school more. Its all about finding your right personal fit - if your making $40,000 a year more, but you don't enjoy where you are, is it really worth it?

Duke Silver

Postby Duke Silver » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:09 am

OSU Law doesn't feel like another number. I went to a smaller UG and dealing with a big university is different, but the law school is way more personal. Now is sort of a hard time to visit law schools, because it's finals, but I felt OSU was more welcoming and personal than most of the other law schools I visited. I like it here.

tolson1 wrote:
bobkit wrote:I am an Ohio Resident from Southern Ohio and will be graduating from an Ohio school. I recently sent in a seat deposit to Kentucky, the day they received it in the mail I got in to Moritz. Then I picked an apartment in Lexington (because I had taken the advice of many and decided UK was for me), next day got a scholarship to OSU. I do not have to worry about paying for either school because I have the money I need after my scholarships. Lexington is very laid back, beautiful, and has everything I could want from a city and more. I am also interested in the Equine Law program and journal although I will probably practice in a more general area of law or work corporate compliance. OSU is ranked 39 (UK is 62) and I think I should consider attending based on that recognition. OSU is not nearly as regional as Kentucky and the median salary outside of school is $40,000 more. I have family ties and connections in both cities and both are 2 hours from my family.

Did UG at OSU, you will feel like another number.

Rankings/money wise, OSU is better. Lifestyle wise, Kentucky is better. Do what will make you the happiest!

bobkit

Postby bobkit » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:05 am

Hey y'all

I wanted to thank everyone again for all the help.

Last week I visited Moritz and it was am-ah-zing. The law building is incredible and the nicest one I've seen on all my visits. I was also incredibly impressed with the resources offered by the school.

However, I know that the resources at Kentucky are the ones that will work the best for my success and I have decided 100% University of Kentucky. I am excited to be a Wildcat next Fall.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”