///

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
croser

///

Postby croser » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:39 am

///
Last edited by croser on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flem

Re: last-minute HLS vs SLS

Postby flem » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:40 am

croser wrote:
I much much much prefer the Bay Area to Boston.

croser wrote:In sum: I have a gut feeling for SLS but am hesitant to give up Harvard and I think it may be better for Indian Law.

SLS. Congrats on nice options. Good luck.

kingofspain

Postby kingofspain » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:29 am

flem wrote:
croser wrote:

croser wrote:In sum: I have a gut feeling for SLS but am hesitant to give up Harvard and I think it may be better for Indian Law.

I'd basically agree with this. A few things, though:

1) I don't know about this for sure, but if you're willing to put yourself out there, I doubt it would be significantly harder to find mentors at Harvard than at Stanford. It's going to be hard to become buddies with the superstars, but with a 'diluted faculty' there are probably some professors who rarely have students knocking on their doors. Then a higher percentage probably just doesn't bother to pursue close relationships with professors at HLS b/c of the perceived obstacles, mitigating the difference in student-faculty ratios. (Again, pure speculation.)

2) Especially with more niche areas of law, it's going to be easier to find people (students, alumni, faculty) with similar interests at HLS than at SLS. Really, just walk into the public interest advising office on day one, ask who to talk to about American Indian law, and they'll pull out a list of faculty and alumni active in the area and put you in contact with other students. Can't speak to SLS on that matter, but it's definitely an area where a larger school has an advantage.

3) You can definitely take classes outside the law school at Harvard. No dual degree required.

I'd vote SLS based on your stated preferences, but more to consider.

The Rover

Postby The Rover » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:43 am

You need but glance at the USNWR rankings to know that Stanford is the better school.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:45 am

Go to Stanford & consider doing your third year at Harvard as a visiting student.

Tadatsune

Postby Tadatsune » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:53 am

Stanford.

croser

Postby croser » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:59 am

flem wrote:
croser wrote:

Maybe it is just this easy. Thanks.

Sirius

Postby Sirius » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:03 pm

STTTandford

croser

Postby croser » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:10 pm

[/quote]
2) Especially with more niche areas of law, it's going to be easier to find people (students, alumni, faculty) with similar interests at HLS than at SLS. Really, just walk into the public interest advising office on day one, ask who to talk to about American Indian law, and they'll pull out a list of faculty and alumni active in the area and put you in contact with other students. Can't speak to SLS on that matter, but it's definitely an area where a larger school has an advantage.[/quote]

I think this is mostly what makes it difficult for me. SLS has some alumni in Indian law, but not many. So how much more difficult would it be to carve out a career in this niche field at SLS?

croser

Postby croser » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:12 pm

Sorry I suck at quoting.

flem

Postby flem » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:13 pm

croser wrote:
I think this is mostly what makes it difficult for me. SLS has some alumni in Indian law, but not many. So how much more difficult would it be to carve out a career in this niche field at SLS?

I have no idea, but keep in mind the class size differences. Way more bros graduate from Harvard than Stanford.

I think you'd be fine at either one, don't let a niche market be a significant deciding factor. Someone with an SLS degree will be able to pick and choose where they want to go unless they are an abject fuck up. If you want to do reservation work or something, you'd have a big edge either way.

puppylaw

Postby puppylaw » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:17 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Go to Stanford & consider doing your third year at Harvard as a visiting student.

Do people actually do this? I feel like there would be a lot of pros and a lot of cons to doing it.

OP, I picked Stanford because I thought it would give me just as good a shot at the jobs I want and would be a better experience and education. You should ask people at each school about what you want to do with your degree. Maybe Stanford will be surprisingly good. Maybe Harvard will be clearly better.

Twit

Postby Twit » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:10 pm

Sirius wrote:STTTandford

Too bad Harvard doesn't have any T's in it.

Paul Campos

Postby Paul Campos » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:31 pm

croser wrote:

2) Especially with more niche areas of law, it's going to be easier to find people (students, alumni, faculty) with similar interests at HLS than at SLS. Really, just walk into the public interest advising office on day one, ask who to talk to about American Indian law, and they'll pull out a list of faculty and alumni active in the area and put you in contact with other students. Can't speak to SLS on that matter, but it's definitely an area where a larger school has an advantage.[/quote]

I think this is mostly what makes it difficult for me. SLS has some alumni in Indian law, but not many. So how much more difficult would it be to carve out a career in this niche field at SLS?[/quote]

Are you an enrolled member of a tribe? If you are this is a realistic career goal. If you're not then not so much. HLS v. SLS doesn't make any difference by comparison to this factor.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:30 pm

@puppylaw: It's an option but the reverse cannot be done since, if I recall correctly, Stanford doesn't allow visiting students. Plus, it should make the third year more interesting. In my opinion, law school be two years followed by a mandatory third year comprised of internships/externships & bar review at nominal tuition and/or fees.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:33 pm

For NA Law: Arizona, New Mexico & Colorado seem to offer significant instruction.

hung jury

Postby hung jury » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:51 pm

croser wrote:Sorry, I know there have been many threads on this. I think I've read all of them.

SLS is offering me 28K and HLS 23K so it's pretty close. I think of myself going into a low-paying, gov't, or non-profit job so I will be relying on their LRAPs. SLS's is slightly more generous but HLS's covers private sector work, so a plus for the big H.

I am interested in American Indian Law. Both schools teach the basic course but HLS has an "expert" come in from another school, a big name in the field. They are also having a big conference this fall. If I go work in a rural area the HLS name would be more well-known.

However, I would prefer a smaller school (though I do worry about SLS being almost TOO small and a bit claustrophobic). I really like how SLS profs are so accessible (well according to the shiny viewbook), I worry about getting lost and being mentor-less at HLS.

I would be very interested in taking classes outside the law school, a plus for SLS. Does anyone know if HLS allows this without doing a dual? Visited HLS and could see myself there, though did not fall in love. I am abroad so unable to visit SLS.

In sum: I have a gut feeling for SLS but am hesitant to give up Harvard and I think it may be better for Indian Law.

Also, does anyone know if getting into the clinics at SLS are competitive? I would like to get some business experience so the Organizations and Transactions clinic sounds really good.

Thank you!!!

My understanding is that Stanford LRAP covers private work on a case by case basis; e.g., it will cover work for a public private interest firm if you can show the firm really is devoted to public interest work.

I think the Indian law issue is secondary to whether you'd prefer the atmosphere here or at Harvard; whether you enjoy yourself and what you are doing will have a lot more to do with your future career as compared to whether it says Stanford or Harvard on your resume.

croser

Postby croser » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:56 pm

Paul Campos wrote:Are you an enrolled member of a tribe? If you are this is a realistic career goal. If you're not then not so much. HLS v. SLS doesn't make any difference by comparison to this factor.

I am an enrolled member and do want to work for my own tribe at some point. For them the Harvard name has more power, but I know this decision is just for me.
Last edited by croser on Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

croser

Postby croser » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:59 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:For NA Law: Arizona, New Mexico & Colorado seem to offer significant instruction.

I recently withdrew from these schools, figuring it was better to go to a higher-ranked school with just the basic course.

croser

Postby croser » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:32 am

hung jury wrote:I think the Indian law issue is secondary to whether you'd prefer the atmosphere here or at Harvard; whether you enjoy yourself and what you are doing will have a lot more to do with your future career as compared to whether it says Stanford or Harvard on your resume.

This is great. Thank you.

croser

Postby croser » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:36 am

I think I've pretty much decided on Stanford due to the "fit" factor. Thank you to everyone for your help!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”