Hastings $22.5k/yr vs. University of San Diego $39k/yr

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Any thoughts?

Hastings
75%
USD
25%

Total votes: 24

Larsey

Hastings $22.5k/yr vs. University of San Diego $39k/yr

Postby Larsey » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:43 pm

Hello all,

Interested in international law, and want to work in CA (Bay Area or SoCal). Here's my list of schools I applied to and results so far: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Larsey/jd

I'm leaning toward Hastings, but not entirely decided. I don't have to give USD another deposit until June 1, but Hastings has a $500 deposit coming up May 1. (I'm hoping to get off a wait list before this summer, but I have to make sure I still have a back up option. :-) I visited the CA schools a couple weeks ago, and I liked all my wait listed schools much better than my current options.)

I think living in San Diego would be awesome, and the campus is gorgeous, but the students didn't seem particularly bright or focused, and their international programs are not nearly as extensive as Hastings'. At Hastings the abroad programs are actually during the school year, and they offer dual J.D./LL.M. programs abroad, which I am very excited about. USD only offers summer programs, and no dual degree programs.

Overall my sense of Hastings students is that they view Hastings as a means to an end, and that's not necessarily bad, but I'd rather be somewhere the students enjoy being. San Diego seemed like a place where students weren't as invested, though, and were somewhat terrified about their job prospects.

Rank / Name Est. 3-year cost Salary Projections Employment rate
44 Hastings $123,700 90k/160k/160k 84.60%
65 U of San Diego $84,300 72k/100k/160k 84.70%
Last edited by Larsey on Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Re: Hastings $22.5k vs. University of San Diego $39k

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:52 pm

Why were USD students terrified about job prospects if the median salary is 100K?

If you won't retake I'd pick San Diego since I love the place and you won't have to pay much tuition. Just don't expect to work too far from there, and definitely don't expect to work in International Law. Also, don't go if there are stipulations on the scholarship.

The Rover

Postby The Rover » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:53 am

I saw on your LSN profile that you have a 3.92. Would you consider retaking the LSAT? A few more points would do great things for you.

sdjd2015

Postby sdjd2015 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:21 pm

Neither school is T14, so both are going to be fairly regional, so go where you want to live for a while. Both are good schools, both in the USNews tier 1. I'm pretty sure that $160k starting salary is basically market rate for starting associates at biglaw firms, and at both schools you'd probably need to be in the top 10 to 20 percent of your class to land there. If you don't end up in biglaw (which is nowhere near a guarantee at either school) but are able to get a job in private practice you're looking at half as much money or less (which is still a pretty good starting salary). Legal market is pretty bad right now. I hope for both our sakes it's better in three years, but given the way things stand, there's a lot of value in taking on less debt. Also, San Diego is awesome. I've lived here for about six years, and if you wind up in a cool part of town, it's pretty fun and definitely beautiful.

sienna.ann

Postby sienna.ann » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:38 pm

I'm actually in the same boat as you--deciding between Hastings, USD, and Loyola. Wanted to practice international law myself. Don't pick hastings based on this. I had a meeting with the dean during ASD and he told me the dual JD/LLM degree is near iMPOSSIBLE to do. Maybe 1-2 students each year get selected. Also, the finals abroad run late and you will miss graduation, have to do an extra semester, and not be able to take the July bar exam. he said as for international law, it's very difficult to get into. His words were unless you speak mandarin or arabic or have some extraneous factor that would make you desirable in international law, you won't really have a great shot at it.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:10 pm

sienna.ann wrote:I'm actually in the same boat as you--deciding between Hastings, USD, and Loyola. Wanted to practice international law myself. Don't pick hastings based on this. I had a meeting with the dean during ASD and he told me the dual JD/LLM degree is near iMPOSSIBLE to do. Maybe 1-2 students each year get selected. Also, the finals abroad run late and you will miss graduation, have to do an extra semester, and not be able to take the July bar exam. he said as for international law, it's very difficult to get into. His words were unless you speak mandarin or arabic or have some extraneous factor that would make you desirable in international law, you won't really have a great shot at it.

Nice to know someone at a law school is speaking straight up about international law.

Larsey

Postby Larsey » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:48 pm

sienna.ann wrote:I'm actually in the same boat as you--deciding between Hastings, USD, and Loyola. Wanted to practice international law myself. Don't pick hastings based on this. I had a meeting with the dean during ASD and he told me the dual JD/LLM degree is near iMPOSSIBLE to do. Maybe 1-2 students each year get selected. Also, the finals abroad run late and you will miss graduation, have to do an extra semester, and not be able to take the July bar exam. he said as for international law, it's very difficult to get into. His words were unless you speak mandarin or arabic or have some extraneous factor that would make you desirable in international law, you won't really have a great shot at it.

So what are you leaning toward? Did you get $ from either?

I should send an email to get more info on the dual program--I do have an extensive language background but not in mandarin or arabic, unfortunately. :-)

And to The Rover, I considered retaking, but it's really not a good option for me right now with the rest of my life, so I think I'm going to go with my best choices so far and hope really hard that my LOCI do something for my wait lists.

The Rover

Postby The Rover » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:30 am

Larsey wrote:And to The Rover, I considered retaking, but it's really not a good option for me right now with the rest of my life, so I think I'm going to go with my best choices so far and hope really hard that my LOCI do something for my wait lists.

Last time I checked retaking and reapplying only takes 1 year, not the rest of your life.

Larsey

Re: Hastings $22.5k/yr vs. University of San Diego $39k/yr

Postby Larsey » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:00 pm

The Rover wrote:
Larsey wrote:And to The Rover, I considered retaking, but it's really not a good option for me right now with the rest of my life, so I think I'm going to go with my best choices so far and hope really hard that my LOCI do something for my wait lists.

Last time I checked retaking and reapplying only takes 1 year, not the rest of your life.

Sorry to have confused you-- i was referring to other parts of my life as influencing my decision -- I understand how retaking works, thanks.

rad lulz

Re: Hastings $22.5k/yr vs. University of San Diego $39k/yr

Postby rad lulz » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:25 pm

USD I guess. Also you're not gonna get a job in international law.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”