Temple VS Rutgers - Camden

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Frm312

Temple VS Rutgers - Camden

Postby Frm312 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:18 pm

I sent my first seat deposit into Temple last week but got an email today that is seriously making me rethink my decision. I got an email from Rutgers Camden saying that they increased their scholly offer to 20k/yr with a 3.5 stip (reduced to 10k/year if i'm between 3.0 and 3.5).

I am already a PA resident and was offered $3,750/yr at Temple, making my tuition ~15k. I emailed Temple today telling them that they are my top choice (which is true) but the Rutgers offer is hard to overlook, so hopefully they send some more money my way.

The real question comes when if I assume Temple does not offer any additional funding. ~15k/yr at the place I want to go vs ~3k/year at a comparable school.

I know everywhere on this forum it'll say that rankings don't matter for a TT school, but a 58 spot for Temple vs a 99 spot for Rutgers (in the new 2013 rankings) seems like a decent gap.

Your input is appreciated

Justathought

Re: Temple VS Rutgers - Camden

Postby Justathought » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:51 pm

Ranking don't matter, but placement does, and Temple places a lot better in the region. Plus, your Rutgers scholarship information is a little sketchy. I assume that scholarship is based on out of state status - since you are a PA resident. Do you still get 20k if you move to NJ and are able to get instate tuition? That would amount to almost a full ride for the first year. I say for the first year because you almost certainly won't have above a 3.5 - even if you do very well. 3.5 or above is top 10% territory at Rutgers. My roommate goes there and tells me that median is around a 3.0.

Edit: I would take Temple in your situation. I go to Temple though, and really like the school, so I'm biased.

Frm312

Re: Temple VS Rutgers - Camden

Postby Frm312 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:58 pm

I just heard back from Temple and they doubled my scholarship offer from $3,750 to $7,500. With the bumped up money I'm pretty sure I'm coming to Temple

Return to “Choosing a Law School”